Norton Antivirus removed downloaded torrent

TerryF

I have several times downloaded the torrent for 0AD but each time my Norton Internet Security removes it because it has detected a threat called PUA_Superflus

No idea what this is but it kills the file every time.

Can you let me know what this is and remove the issue from the executable installer please

Terry

PUA means potentially unwanted application, which is not malware. It's applied to power user utilities, such as Microsoft SysInternals and WInPcap. I think that virus protection software flags PUAs, because if such software is unexpectedly on the computer then it could be due to an intrusion. Obviously, that's not what happened here. It seems more like a false positive.

You can scan the file with Virustotal, which uses about 50 different brands of malware scanning software.

Oops, nope. Virustotal supports a maximum file size of 650 MB.

Anyway, false positives can and do occur. Please state which file you have downloaded, or at least which operating system. Then, assuming that you downloaded it from an official source and verified the sha1 and ideally also the minisign, then it can be reported to Norton as a false positive. It would be useful to have a screenshot of the exact detection report from Norton. Sometimes this includes a longer name for the detection.

Edited by Norse_Harold
Virustotal not usable for scanning 0ad installation executable due to maximum file size

5 hours ago, Norse_Harold said:

Anyway, false positives can and do occur. Please state which file you have downloaded, or at least which operating system. Then, assuming that you downloaded it from an official source and verified the sha1 and ideally also the minisign, then it can be reported to Norton as a false positive. It would be useful to have a screenshot of the exact detection report from Norton. Sometimes this includes a longer name for the detection.

According to the first post he downloaded the torrent file; So uploading it to Virus Total should work.

15 hours ago, Stan` said:

According to the first post he downloaded the torrent file

At first, I thought that he was referring to the .torrent file. But, later in the post he says, "remove the issue from the executable installer please". So, that leads me to think that he probably meant that he downloaded the installer via bittorrent.

Also, VirusTotal has no detections for either of the .torrent files, including for Symantec's protection software. Symantec is the company that makes Norton antivirus and internet security products.

0ad-0.0.25b-alpha-win32.exe.torrent
https://www.virustotal.com/gui/file/e75e1b9becb74edeb58ab8851a39e1adc0b21879f10c2ad75dd0c4f1d1d83078

0ad-0.0.25b-alpha-osx64.dmg.torrent
https://www.virustotal.com/gui/file/968147694127a441925290fd6a0f0048e553aea32a4847c37cb493de7f8a0084?nocache=1