0 A.d. Sequel Ideas?

Black Op

I know it's way early to be talking about these sorts of things but I don't care. :) What game would you like for the 0AD team to make after 0AD is released as a sequel? Would you like a game set in the Middle Ages or some period long before 0AD? Something even set in the Age of Gunpowder?

I would like to see a medieval sequel to 0AD myself better than AoK. :)

I know most people around here including team members are RTS fans, but what the heck :):

I've been very impressed by what I've seen so far of the upcoming FPS/RPG game S.T.A.L.K.E.R. The game isn't just another shooter or rpg, not even a real combination of both. It's set in the Zone around Chernobyl which is wasted and uninhabited, except for military, stalkers and mutants. Stalkers are people who enter the Zone, looking for valuable artifacts to sell, and you're one of them. The whole Zone is virtually one huge map, a bit comparable to the Half Life or Dungeon Siege system. Basicly it's a shooter, but next to that you can gather artifacts, sell/buy stuff and interact with NPC's. The goal is total freedom for the player, not another quest/sidequest rpg or fast paced shooter in which you have to kill mutants every second.

Other impressive existing games imo are Mafia and Morrowind. They are quite different but have the big playground in common. Mafia is set in a big city, while Morrowind in a huge world, both offering total freedom to explore.

So, what I would really like is a game that's about freedom combining FPS and RPG. It should have a main story with many twists and several endings. Next to that it should offer a lot interaction with NPC's and a personal base. For example in Morrowind you can build your own manor and store your treasure there. Imo it is far from perfect though, so making all this more realistic would be nice. Next to that you as the player should have an effect on your surroundings. Let's say, if you kill someone, and someone saw this people (NPC's) will start talking about it.

Anyway just a basic idea badly described :)

Yes, really too early. but still its cool that you made this thread Black Op, because i guess this is something that really affects many more that just the team devs. And also i think that in a few months, things about community after the games and more ....

Well, i really dont think they should stop making games! And Klaas, its an idea, a good one, but i really dont think WFG should do it, and if they would, not with the great RTS based team they are now. Maybe include some new folks, like a new dev dep??

I want WFG to make a medieval game! Something really great! I mean, like huge amrys, were people can zoom out a lot, and were people can walk ON walls +++ Ill give my ideas if this is possible :)

gl and hf anyway :D

Love from ZeZar :)

LOL yes! Let's get away from RTS and do a FPS/RPG. What I'd love to do is make the most realistic modern light infantry simulation game available :) Could fight tanks like the M1A2, Challenger, T-80, and T-95s and infantry armed with AK-74s, M-16A2s, M4A1s, RPK-74s, SAWs, LAWs, grenades, etc, etc. while being attacked by helicoptors like Mi-24 Hinds, AH-64 Apaches, and Ka-50 Hokums. I'd love to do a game like that!

Okay people, this is not a regular list your idea for your dream game. Somehow I don't think a shoot-them-up can be considered a 0AD sequel. Make a thread for that in the Gaming Forum......... no wait... I'll do that. Need all the threads created I can get! :) So just stick with RTS games here.

@Mythos_Ruler: Why fear medieval games? I like that time period and I'm sure the 0AD team could do a good game set in ye olde Middle Ages. B-)

Hey, CheeZy !

You must NOT forget Far Cry. I have not tryed the STALKER game, but i will! Though i have tried Far Cry, and its really good. And the mods that are coming are neat too :)

On Topic: Yes, need a proper answer... whats wrong with Medival??

Thise will probably get a BIG laugh...

How about something set during the Neolythic age?

I'm a little afraid though that people might start getting an image of the Flintstones turned into a game.

Its an important time period however since it was just before the Copper and Bronze ages. We had just began building villages,domesticating animals, producing art, and Agriculture.

These where the first (real) civilizations, warfare would be fairly brutal but probably not anywhere near the scale of the Greeks and Romans later on.

But still, Alot of important things where going on and all of it leading up to where we are today.

Im still not very sure if it would make for an interesting game, or end up being kind of Lame.

Just some thoughts.

:)

I was thinking about a 3D Fight game, in the vein of Virtua Fighter, Mortal Combat, Street Fighter, etc. But this time it would have an historical setting. Choose between the units we have in 0A.D. We could create high res, high poly models to use, based on the units of 0A.D.

Characters could include:

Greek Hoplite

Roman Legionnaire

Persian Immortal

The various Roman gladiators

Celts

etc.

You could even customize your own characters to add to the game. When playing multiplayer, the custom character would upload, much like a custom map in AOK.

Various "arenas" or "worlds" would include actual historical places used in 0 A.D. Imagine taking part in a gladiatorial fight in the middle of the Roman Colosseum... or a Greek hoplite and Persian Immortal fighting it out on the steps of the Parthenon in Athens. Players could even design their own "arenas" to fight in.

The way we can "innovate" over the afore mentioned fight games would be to add other fighters in the arena with you. Other things could be moveable/useable objects and weapons. We could also add an involving, branching, storyline for each individual character (similar to a "campaign" in 0A.D.).

Community ideas would be to host contests like, "Create the coolest historical character" or "Best Arena."

Any thoughts?