I don't understand the rules of garrisoned units combat

LienRag

I'm stuck in Alpha 23, but I'm not sure that things really changed in new versions.

So, I know that units garrisoned in some buildings (towers, town centers, castles) do fire missiles, but I don't understand at all if the nature of the unit changes anything to it.

If I put women in it, missile troops, or melee troops, does it change anything at all ?

Do missiles troops garrisoned inside a building have their own fire range or only the fire range of the building (i.e., is it useful to garrison long-range missile units) ?

Also, what do garrisoned units inside a wall tower do ? On top of a wall, I know what they do (die quickly) but inside the wall tower ?

In a siege weapon (especially the siege tower) ?

In a ship ?

Garrisoned units just increase the number of arrows fired from a building. It's not like an individual unit is firing from that building.

I don't entirely remember how A23 handled it, but i think the major change to A25 is that only military units are considered to add to the number or fired arrows from a building.

So, that means that if I have a choice, I'd better put non-missile units inside the building and have the missile units retreat and fire from afar ?

Also, is there a way to find the number of missiles fired by an occupied building ?

I know to find the maximum and minimum number, but the actual number at a precise moment ?

Edited by LienRag

• 1 month later...
On 07/08/2022 at 3:12 AM, Gurken Khan said:

0ad-ccf2.jpg.cf3978602b3cb176383aaa185ea29fef.jpg

I just tested with Spartans - no matter what I garrison in CC, I always see "3 arrows / 2 seconds". 

On Fandom Wiki it says: "Infantry garrisoned in a Civic Center add to the number of arrows fired." (https://0ad.fandom.com/wiki/Civic_Centre)

But what is exact bonus? Is it worth to micro and garrison women in houses and infantry in CC? Impossible that nobody knows?! :) 

10 minutes ago, BeTe said:

But what is exact bonus?

I believe each soldier adds one arrow; as in the pic: 3 + 10 = 13 arrows. Might be worth the micro; you could release the women to the backside and thus have more room for soldiers.

Can't say anything about what you see with your CC. Did you give the mouseover a chance to refresh? (Move the mouse away and then back again after the garrisoning.)

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, BeTe said:

I just tested with Spartans - no matter what I garrison in CC, I always see "3 arrows / 2 seconds". 

Maybe a mod is making conflict? just guessing

17 minutes ago, BeTe said:

But what is exact bonus? Is it worth to micro and garrison women in houses and infantry in CC? Impossible that nobody knows?! :) 

I don't know the exact bonus. But yes, It's worth to garrison military unit instead of women in CC to get extra arrows.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Gurken Khan said:

I believe each soldier adds one arrow; as in the pic: 3 + 10 = 13 arrows. Might be worth the micro; you could release the women to the backside and thus have more room for soldiers.

Can't say anything about what you see with your CC. Did you give the mouseover a chance to refresh? (Move the mouse away and then back again after the garrisoning.)

Yeah true. I was checking popup which is opened by right click on CC picture - not hover popup... :smartass: 

So women does not add  bonus arrows. Infantry add arrows , same number of arrows as garrisoned units.

Yeah, it's more than worth microing... Although I am not sure what to do with womens from crop fields in case of attack... :D  

I am still not sure about garrisoned barracks or other buildings... Barracks is not showing same popup (number of arrows) as CC...

26 minutes ago, BeTe said:

Yeah, it's more than worth microing... Although I am not sure what to do with womens from crop fields in case of attack... :D  

U hit the bell to garrison all women then  rally point your CC to the opposite direction of the enemy units and ungarrison while u send military to garrison at CC. So the enemy should move around your cc to catch the women and in the meantime while your CC fires them. 
Barracks do not fire but Towers, Fort, Military Camps....

Furthermore, u can use this garrison-rally point-ungarrison to save valuable time while moving units. This is specially useful while you are under attack. U can order big groups to garrison some building, and spam U-key so they will pass through the building without surrounding it

Edited by guerringuerrin
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, BeTe said:

Although I am not sure what to do with womens from crop fields in case of attack... :D  

Some people think it's lame, but I always have a ring of fields around my CC and a ring of houses around that (and houses next to additional fields); so I have always houses for my women. I can grab them directly and garrison them manually or send them to the houses on the far side of the attack.

17 minutes ago, BeTe said:

I am still not sure about garrisoned barracks or other buildings... Barracks is not showing same popup (number of arrows) as CC...

Only CCs, towers, forts and walls can shoot at attackers, so you can't add arrows to barracks. You can however still use them to your advantage. If you garrison your barracks they can (hardly) be captured, if you fight around them you can save your wounded soldiers, you can "teleport" your ranged units to the far side to gain distance to melee attackers.

• Like 2

Furthermore, u can use this garrison-rally point-ungarrison to save valuable time while moving units. This is specially useful while you are under attack. U can order big groups to garrison some building, and spam U-key so they will pass through the building without surrounding it

@guerringuerrin Oh, nice. "U" shortcut was what I was looking for! Yeah I know this technique but didn't know this command :D 

Some people think it's lame, but I always have a ring of fields around my CC and a ring of houses around that

@Gurken KhanWhy lame?! Isn't that standard! ;) 

Thx for hints guys.

btw,

how can I kill women when I want to build hero units but reached pop limit? 

Edited by BeTe