Location of unit information/unit structure tree icons; and black backgrounds?

CovenantKillerJ

5 minutes ago, CovenantKillerJ said:

I want to know the location of the the unit pictures used in the structure tree/unit info previews. 

Also, how to screenshot with the black shaded background seen on said pictures? I've tried the atlas editor but the shade of black isn't consistent with the other unit cards.

binaries/data/mods/public/art/textures/session/portraits

Don't think there is a way. There are hacks but mostly it's done by hand.

11 hours ago, CovenantKillerJ said:

Cheers, and thats a shame. How did @wowgetoffyourcellphone do it?

I recreate his methods by doing Atlas screenshots with the solid black background from its actor viewer.

image.png

Then I do it manually in graphics editing software:

1.) Magic wand or smart select the black background and remove it (making sure that the unit image is still intact)

2.) After that duplicate/copy the cleaned unit image layer

3.) Modify the brightness to 0 (basically turning it to black

4.) Use Gaussian blur effect on the black silhouette layer

5.) Add a new layer above with the glow color of your choice (mine, similar to wowgetoffyourcellphone is close to bronze in the sample) the blurred black silhouette and clip the layers so that only the colors will transfer to the blurred silhouette

6.) Put everything together and add a black background again (reminder that portrait icon dimensions are 256x256 pixels)

• Like 1

On 06/08/2022 at 10:48 AM, Stan` said:

By hand

On 06/08/2022 at 10:53 AM, wackyserious said:

I recreate his methods by doing Atlas screenshots with the solid black background from its actor viewer.

image.png

Then I do it manually in graphics editing software:

1.) Magic wand or smart select the black background and remove it (making sure that the unit image is still intact)

2.) After that duplicate/copy the cleaned unit image layer

3.) Modify the brightness to 0 (basically turning it to black

4.) Use Gaussian blur effect on the black silhouette layer

5.) Add a new layer above with the glow color of your choice (mine, similar to wowgetoffyourcellphone is close to bronze in the sample) the blurred black silhouette and clip the layers so that only the colors will transfer to the blurred silhouette

6.) Put everything together and add a black background again (reminder that portrait icon dimensions are 256x256 pixels)

Thank you!

• Like 1

Just now, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Mm. Wacky is usually pretty good with textures, but that method is not even close to how I make them. :) Maybe I'll post a tutorial thread.

Or just use the psd you made and let people use Photopea :) works like a charm

On 05/08/2022 at 6:08 PM, CovenantKillerJ said:

I want to know the location of the the unit pictures used in the structure tree/unit info previews. 

Also, how to screenshot with the black shaded background seen on said pictures? I've tried the atlas editor but the shade of black isn't consistent with the other unit cards.