Sennacherib

hi, first of all i enjoy very much this new release, thx btw for this awesome game.

celts (all of them):

In my opnion, celts shouldn't be naked or half naked: talmoris, adretos, marcaros, essedon

the Gaesatae don't represent all the warriors, 90% of them wore a full equipment: chainmaill, bronze helmet, and clothes.

their architectures are not very accurate too, but it doesn't need to be accurate at 100%. Gauls had buildings with 2 floors for example.

towers:

they shouldn't be captured, because from time to times AI has difficulties to handle captured towers on his territory. And as a pure defensive building, it is more interesting of having to destroy them. And, they should have a bonus against ships.

rams:

they are too difficult to destroy when you have only basic units, AI can attack with 4,5 or 6 rams, and there is almost nothing to do for avoiding the destruction of all the buildings. Rams have too many HP (without the research of the tech)

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Sennacherib said:

hi, first of all i enjoy very much this new release, thx btw for this awesome game.

celts (all of them):

In my opnion, celts shouldn't be naked or half naked: talmoris, adretos, marcaros, essedon

the Gaesatae don't represent all the warriors, 90% of them wore a full equipment: chainmaill, bronze helmet, and clothes.

their architectures are not very accurate too, but it doesn't need to be accurate at 100%. Gauls had buildings with 2 floors for example.

towers:

they shouldn't be captured, because from time to times AI has difficulties to handle captured towers on his territory. And as a pure defensive building, it is more interesting of having to destroy them. And, they should have a bonus against ships.

rams:

they are too difficult to destroy when you have only basic units, AI can attack with 4,5 or 6 rams, and there is almost nothing to do for avoiding the destruction of all the buildings. Rams have too many HP (without the research of the tech)

Hi

Uncapturable towers would be a nightmare. Its very good that they can be captured, so you can easily get rid of them. Imagine your opponents to spam iberian towers everywhere, you'd need to destroy all of them.

Rams can be destroyed by basic swordsmen rather quickly. Or even spearmen, women...

42 minutes ago, Sennacherib said:

my opnion, celts shouldn't be naked or half naked: talmoris, adretos, marcaros, essedon

I agree.

43 minutes ago, Sennacherib said:

Gaesatae is the 0ad special rush unit which is designed to deliver a quick blow to farmers or cavalry. It is based on a few drunken Gaul warriors who decided to go naked into battle, but definitely not mimicking the main army.

48 minutes ago, Sennacherib said:

they shouldn't be captured, because from time to times AI has difficulties to handle captured towers on his territory. And as a pure defensive building, it is more interesting of having to destroy them. And, they should have a bonus against ships

We should improve the AI instead. Capturing towers is a great part of games with humans. The bonus against ships is definitely recommend: ships are too OP and the naval system is broken.

49 minutes ago, Sennacherib said:

they are too difficult to destroy when you have only basic units, AI can attack with 4,5 or 6 rams

Make melee units before it's too late. Any melee can damage rams quickly. Normal humans never attack with 6 rams, instead they push with 140 units. I would recommend you to mass produce sword cavalry and any other melee units. Ranged units do almost no damage to rams.

3 hours ago, Sevda said:

We should improve the AI instead. Capturing towers is a great part of games with humans. The bonus against ships is definitely recommend: ships are too OP and the naval system is broken.

yes sure, it is an option. My main concern is the ability for the AI to handle effectively the captured towers, because from times to times it doesn't try to destroy or recapture the captured towers.

Ships are not really OP, even infantry can destoy them, but ships are not efficient against other ships and the towers are not really efficient against them. BTW the team has created a very good AI which use in a very good way the ships (fights and transport). AI uses strategies, it is impressive.

Make melee units before it's too late. Any melee can damage rams quickly. Normal humans never attack with 6 rams, instead they push with 140 units. I would recommend you to mass produce sword cavalry and any other melee units. Ranged units do almost no damage to rams.

I personnaly don't have problems to destroy them, my observation was for the AI, which has difficulties to destroy them. I don't play against humans so I don't know what they do or not :)

Gaesatae is the 0ad special rush unit which is designed to deliver a quick blow to farmers or cavalry. It is based on a few drunken Gaul warriors who decided to go naked into battle, but definitely not mimicking the main army.

they can keep the fanatics naked, but please they should give clothes to the other warriors. the gauls invented the gallic helmet used by the romans, they deserve at least  to wear clothes, celts invented chainmail, so they deverse to use it :p (they used also padded fabric breastplate)

btw, i don't play against humans, all my observations concern only the AI. I played all the AOE (not the last one) and I must say that the 0ad AI is very good. But some civs seem less efficient, the athenians for example (military), but it is not a huge problem.

4 hours ago, Player of 0AD said:

Hi

Uncapturable towers would be a nightmare. Its very good that they can be captured, so you can easily get rid of them. Imagine your opponents to spam iberian towers everywhere, you'd need to destroy all of them.

Rams can be destroyed by basic swordsmen rather quickly. Or even spearmen, women...

i destroy all of them, from time to time a turret is captured by my soldiers, but it is involuntary :p 3 or 4 dudes in a tower can block the capture of this tower for a long time. (and kill too many soldiers). the capture system seems borked sometimes, even an empty building can be impossible to capture even for 30 or 40 soldiers.

yes, I know, but AI doesn't know that, this part of the code could be improved.

I don't play against humans. :)

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Sennacherib said:

civs seem less efficient, the athenians for example (military)

For all civs, a good military should consist of some proportion of ranged units and the rest is melee. 

Athenians have strong melee units, i.e. the hoplites. They are quite survivable after you research the hoplite tradition tech; a crowd of elite rank hoplites surroudning a few champion hoplites is undefeatable. In the ranged department, you can make some slingers (40?) for economy in phase 1 to output damage from a distance, then in Phase 2 and 3 you can spam mercenary skirmishers. They are especially strong with the presence of Iphikrates. In addition, they have a skirmisher cavlary as a more powerful ranged unit and cavalry swordsman to  outflank enemy melee and snipe lone ranged units or women. Finally, their champion archers allows you to snipe enemy units in difficult terrains as well as harass their economy before fighting. 

Full cavalry spam is also viable with the Athenians. 

In terms of economy, their slinger gives them a slight advantage in early game, then in phase 2 you can build 4 barracks, 3 of which produce citizen units for gathering and the other 1 produces mercenaries which can become builders or scouts.