Attempt 2 — large playtest of a26 release candidate: Saturday, August 13th 20:00 GMT

To properly test for balance we will need many players (at least enough for a 4v4 or two).

some things to think about while playing:

• thoughts on acceleration values.
  • Han crossbows OP?
  • Han swordcav rush OP?
  • persia rush
  • persia immortals OP?
  • merc cav nerfed OK?
  • catapults OP?

A separate group can play on the latest version (SVN):

• try a fanatic rush, is it OP?
  • try all in spartan rush
  • are neodamodes spearmen OP?
Edited by real_tabasco_sauce
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, real_tabasco_sauce said:
  • persia rush

whats that?

• persia immortals OP?

Why? I see: -60 health, -3 armor, -1 speed.  Looks super UP. Whats going on here?

• try all in spartan rush

Wahts new about that?

• are neodamodes spearmen OP?

Which civ does have them?

20 minutes ago, Player of 0AD said:

whats that?

They have 2 cav units in p1.

Why? I see: -60 health, -3 armor, -1 speed.  Looks super UP. Whats going on here?

They can weapon switch between spear and arrow.

Wahts new about that?

Champs in p1

22 minutes ago, Player of 0AD said:

Which civ does have them?

Sparta

------

With that said, I am not sure if any of these changes are currently in the latest SVN

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, chrstgtr said:

They have 2 cav units in p1.

They can weapon switch between spear and arrow.

Champs in p1

Sparta

------

With that said, I am not sure if any of these changes are currently in the latest SVN

In latest SVN: Only the immortals.
So they are slow but tanky infantry archers with the possibility to use spears if necessary. Dont seem OP to me but testing is helpful.

Just now, LetswaveaBook said:

I hold the opinion that to properly test for balance it is better to play a 1v1

1v1s are needed too, particularly for things like fanatic rushes.

I said we need 4v4s just because many people can use new features all at once, and testing is faster with more "hands on deck" so to speak.

• Like 1

For checking out game features that are totally new, invite newbies who liked the game and would like to get involve in trying out new release. They can play games with AIs, and will play for longer duration, so you will get fresh perspective. Pro players can help more gameplays; features wise you will get more comparisons from them than fresh views. Just a suggestion. 

1 hour ago, Darkcity said:

For checking out game features that are totally new, invite newbies who liked the game and would like to get involve in trying out new release. They can play games with AIs, and will play for longer duration, so you will get fresh perspective. Pro players can help more gameplays; features wise you will get more comparisons from them than fresh views. Just a suggestion. 

They can do that now just by downloading SVN. This is separate 

7 hours ago, Player of 0AD said:

In latest SVN: Only the immortals.
So they are slow but tanky infantry archers with the possibility to use spears if necessary. Dont seem OP to me but testing is helpful.

The fear is that giving immortals spears takes away cav as the natural archer counter. I suspect they will be fine, but we adjusted a bit in the patch 

2 hours ago, LetswaveaBook said:

Team bonuses bring more diversity into the game and so you can test more combinations of units/bonuses/heroes than you can in a 1v1 (think skirm cav mercs with iber team bonus). I would say that 1v1s are necessary but are not "better" than team games for balance.

Edited by BreakfastBurrito_007
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, LetswaveaBook said:

Clearly need both. Best civ for 1v1 right now is ptol. Best civ for 4v4 right now is iber. They’re different gameplays that involve different strategies. 

• Like 1

C'mon guys, please don't sign up and then not attend.

omL, AUTISTICUS and I decided to attend the event. The only other players we saw at 9 pm GMT were real_tabasco_sauce and Iaintborg (probably@borg-). borg was the only one who replied to AUTISTICUS and they played an a26 game briefly. I was still setting up alpha 26 rc2 at the time, but I joined later and invited people from the a25 lobby. Kakutstha and freyyja seemed interested. We sent them the download link for alpha 26 rc2.

I'll do this again today (Sunday, August 7th) at 9 pm GMT. We can start a routine of playing alpha 26 release candidates for at least a few team games every weekend starting at 8 pm GMT. Be there or be square.

Edited by Norse_Harold
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Norse_Harold said:

omL, AUTISTICUS and I decided to attend the event. The only other players we saw at 9 pm GMT were real_tabasco_sauce and Iaintborg (probably@borg-). borg was the only one who replied to AUTISTICUS and they played an a26 game briefly. I was still setting up alpha 26 rc2 at the time, but I joined later and invited people from the a25 lobby. Kakutstha and freyyja seemed interested. We sent them the download link for alpha 26 rc2.

I'll do this again today (Sunday, August 7th) at 9 pm GMT. We can start a routine of playing alpha 26 release candidates for at least a few team games every weekend starting at 8 pm GMT. Be there or be square.

I can do this on Saturdays but not Sundays. Good idea, we can have games on the RC2 and latest version and chat in the same lobby (I am slowly inching towards a successful build!)

21 hours ago, Norse_Harold said:

It's not me. If I can I will make some games.

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, real_tabasco_sauce said:

me vs @BreakfastBurrito_007

The kushite boom is cool.

It would be cool if I did not get housed with 0 on wood XD. But I certainly like the unique strategy planning aspect that Kushites get with how they place their temple/s in p1.

Edited by BreakfastBurrito_007

• real_tabasco_sauce changed the title to Attempt 2 — large playtest of a26 release candidate: Saturday, August 13th 20:00 GMT