What is your prefered playing Speed?

Frederick_1

Normal x1 :znaika: , turtle should be very boring i guess LOL. In fact you can select women, ask them to gather berries , go ahead with your daily activities, go beaches, go to the gym, take some walk etc, come back to 0ad and the women will still be walking to the berries not to think of starting to gather :LOL:

Edited by rossenburg
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 25/07/2022 at 1:24 AM, Frederick_1 said:

I would be interested in what speed is your default speed and what do you play most of the time.

For me it is 0,1x "Turtle". Otherwise I can not cope with controling the entities and preventing them from doing stupid things fast enough.

What is your approach?

:LOL: LOL

Start with 0.5x, try to use control groups, hotkeys and autotrain to save your efforts while doing good micro. Then you can move up the speeds. 

There is little point going above 1.5x because normally games are at 1x. After you become a pro at 1x speed, I would recommend trying to play on Empire map for more micromanaging practice.

On 24/07/2022 at 7:30 PM, rossenburg said:

Normal x1 :znaika: , turtle should be very boring i guess LOL. In fact you can select women, ask them to gather berries , go ahead with your daily activities, go beaches, go to the gym, take some walk etc, come back to 0ad and the women will still be walking to the berries not to think of starting to gather :LOL:

It is not like that. Berries aren't that far away, and when you come back from the beach all bushes will be long gone. It doesn't feel more boring to me. You just start more parallel activities, which you are better micromanaging. This can keep you very busy after a short time. Okey, in the beginning of a new game after issuing the most orders, I sometimes speed up to 0.25x. But then I soon feel how much less control, you have when using higher speed, and your entities doing more stupid things again. I often whish them not being that stupid.

@alre I dunno, and I dunno if it would be wanted by others. One thing I might use would be auto-explore with "keep away from enemy borders just barely in view".

Another "if shot at from an enemy building while working move out of range from that building and not start stupidly attacking that building by yourself"; I'm not sure if maybe "fleeing" as stance could do that trick. Although I very frequently have fun with that if it's enemy units. "You already lost a dozen units to those twin towers? How about you send another dozen their way?"

And probably the most important for me would be "if hurt (x%) cancel fight and flee".

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

What comes in my mind is: "Do not run into enemy trouble without command. But then attack"

Often when I silenced some entities with "standgorund", and later I use them in a battle group I wonder, what's up when they pause after defeating the first enemy which I pointed to them. Normally you realize that just before they are getting killed.

I would also like to have a command to attack a group of enemies. It is pretty lottery when you send support to a battle. Either you give them a enemy entity to attack, what is unsure depending on the movements and the fate of that entity. Most time they stop before reaching battleground. Sometimes march too far getting easy pray while strolling over battleground.

If you direct them to a location.... and the battle moved when they arrive either they just stand aside until your main group is killed and then they. Or they march way too far into battleground where they are easy victim getting killed while marching.

Formations, well, sometimes they work, often...

I just tried some games with "natural" speed, and it feels awful to me. Loosing that much to stupidity and the user Interface is not that effective. In more than 1 vs 1 soon you can not scroll fast enough to keep pace with getting attacked, not to think about triggering any reaction or maintaining economy.

The game simply is reduced to produce more troops, release them and hope for the best. Quantity will make it.

Oops, you are playing even faster than 1x . Maybe do I need a better mouse. I use a normal office one, and often I see the game does not react properly to my clicks. Often the game engine needs some time between input Interaction, or to verify my action.  This time span is often cumbersome especially when you are under attack.

On 21/10/2022 at 9:17 AM, real_tabasco_sauce said:

I certainly had issues with wireless mouse input 

Interesting... FWIW, the only time I've detected any noticeable lag in wireless mouse is when batteries are starting to go. Fresh ones always seem to resolve the issue.

Then again, a wired mouse spares the battery cost (unless using rechargeables).

That is not how it is. Berries aren't that far away, and all the plants will be vanished by the time you get back from the shore. I don't feel like it's any more boring. You simply begin additional concurrent tasks, which you can manage more carefully. After a while, this could keep you occupied for a while. Okay, occasionally I speed up to 0.25x at the start of a new game after issuing the most orders. However, as soon as you choose a greater speed, I quickly see how much less control you have, and your entities start acting foolishly once more. I frequently wish they weren't so foolish.

Being old (that is, not a teenager anymore), I struggle with speeds faster than 0,1 x

But yes it's a bit boring, and tends to favor micromanagement over strategy.

More subtle orders would be nice indeed ("respond to enemies you can fight but do not pursue without any chance of winning"). Probably through formations, and abilities to give orders to the formation specifically (like 'attack this bunch of enemies, not this one in particular).

Someone gave me the shortcut to separate wounded units from a lot but I was never able to make it work.

Would also be nice to have an order "block the passage of enemy units" (like when trying to capture a building).

On 20/10/2022 at 10:51 PM, Frederick_1 said:

In more than 1 vs 1 soon you can not scroll fast enough to keep pace with getting attacked, not to think about triggering any reaction or maintaining economy.

@ValihrAnt for example is able to do that. It was watching him play when I decided I didn't want to get into MP... ;)

On 21/10/2022 at 3:16 PM, Frederick_1 said:

Maybe do I need a better mouse. I use a normal office one, and often I see the game does not react properly to my clicks. Often the game engine needs some time between input Interaction, or to verify my action.  This time span is often cumbersome especially when you are under attack.

I, too, don't like the delayed affirmation of input. I think @Stan` explained to me that it is because the command is acknowledged after the current cycle/at the beginning of the next turn or something; so a different mouse won't change that.

22 minutes ago, LienRag said:

Someone gave me the shortcut to separate wounded units from a lot but I was never able to make it work.

I moved up the slider for when to consider a unit wounded; now when I hit [O] and do an area selection I can get my wounded units out of the battle.

1 hour ago, Gurken Khan said:

It's an O, not a 0; but I believe [o] works. You can also change it, it's a unit selection hotkey.

I've started trying to use that, and i for selecting idle units. Sometimes I get it to work, but haven't mastered it yet.

I like 1.25 speed; my time is valuable and I'd rather have more of a challenge than have to wait around.

i like your question. but there is not a perfect playing speed ;) for what. i also played 128x and it was fun. was perfect for this fun ( https://youtu.be/-GDMqClaZiE. i think 0,1 could be perfect for playing relaxed. very relaxed. long time ago i played a stop and go mode 0...1x and 5x with a toggle button (maybe good idea to play something automatically that changes it every 1 minutes or so). so you have nice time to think and do it very slowly and you could maybe paint something at paper or so at same time. then check in fast speed if it works as you expected (

Edited by seeh