Unique Reports sent per day (meaning the game is running) v11 = A23b

image.png

From snapcraft devices

image.png

Weekly active devices on Snap 

image.png

image.png

Most Linux players in Germany, and USA.

Download statistics on Source forge https://sourceforge.net/projects/zero-ad/files/releases/stats/timeline?dates=2017-06-01+to+2022-07-08

Download statistics on the website https://releases.wildfiregames.com/stats.php?type=year

Active lobby players at time of writing 62

• Like 5
  • Thanks 5

From the snap stats.
0: {name: 'United States', number_of_users: 2517}
1: {name: 'Germany', number_of_users: 2506}
2: {name: 'France', number_of_users: 1855}
3: {name: 'Spain', number_of_users: 758}
4: {name: 'Italy', number_of_users: 755}
5: {name: 'Brazil', number_of_users: 724}
6: {name: 'Russian Federation', number_of_users: 697}
7: {name: 'United Kingdom', number_of_users: 682}
8: {name: 'India', number_of_users: 538}
9: {name: 'Poland', number_of_users: 500}
10: {name: 'Canada', number_of_users: 492}
11: {name: 'Netherlands', number_of_users: 343}
12: {name: 'Mexico', number_of_users: 297}
13: {name: 'Argentina', number_of_users: 292}
14: {name: 'Ukraine', number_of_users: 257}
15: {name: 'Switzerland', number_of_users: 252}
16: {name: 'Czechia', number_of_users: 250}
17: {name: 'Australia', number_of_users: 233}
18: {name: 'Austria', number_of_users: 219}
19: {name: 'Japan', number_of_users: 218}
20: {name: 'Belgium', number_of_users: 215}
21: {name: 'China', number_of_users: 206}
22: {name: 'Colombia', number_of_users: 194}
23: {name: 'Hungary', number_of_users: 177}
24: {name: 'Sweden', number_of_users: 169}
25: {name: 'Romania', number_of_users: 154}
26: {name: 'Greece', number_of_users: 150}
27: {name: 'Finland', number_of_users: 141}
28: {name: 'Turkey', number_of_users: 134}
29: {name: 'Indonesia', number_of_users: 127}
30: {name: 'Portugal', number_of_users: 123}
31: {name: 'Iran, Islamic Republic of', number_of_users: 110}
32: {name: 'South Africa', number_of_users: 110}
33: {name: 'Chile', number_of_users: 99}
34: {name: 'Denmark', number_of_users: 86}
35: {name: 'Bulgaria', number_of_users: 85}
36: {name: 'Norway', number_of_users: 80}
37: {name: 'Slovakia', number_of_users: 74}
38: {name: 'Taiwan', number_of_users: 73}
39: {name: 'Israel', number_of_users: 72}
40: {name: 'New Zealand', number_of_users: 71}
41: {name: 'Serbia', number_of_users: 71}
42: {name: 'Egypt', number_of_users: 58}
43: {name: 'Ireland', number_of_users: 52}
44: {name: 'Vietnam', number_of_users: 52}

• Like 1

2 hours ago, borg- said:

A25 >>>>> A23

It's rather recent that Ubuntu force snap down their users throat and that there was an issue with wfg ppa, so that conclusion can't be made from the above graphs at all even if it might be true.

Also making some assumptions and doing some math it's not unlikely that the active (playing weekly) player base is between 300k and 500k.

• Like 1

Can you help me read this data? What does the 18,593 number represent? Weekly unique user reports for 6/10/22? The other report you linked shows that there are 22K unique reports for 1/1/22 to 5/24/22. And over that same period there have been like 100K downloads. Does that mean that there were just 3.5K unique reports for all the other weeks of the year? That implies that 90% of YTD downloads translate into active weekly users, which implies there are more than 90K active users out there who downloaded the game this year. That would make its active player base as large as 1/4 of all AOEIV sales. Given the lack of observable users elsewhere (social media, forums, MP lobby, etc.), that simply doesn't seem possible.

Does the game send reports even if the player is not actively playing the game? In other words, are there phantom reports coming from non-users who still have it installed on their computers?

Edited by chrstgtr
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, Stan` said:
{name: 'India', number_of_users: 538}

Only 538 that's too low compared to the population India have, maybe I should start sticking posters on walls for 0AD. I tried doing online stuffs but nobody care what I say.

• Like 2

Something in the data doesn't make sense. 

The daily reports also suggest that those weekly numbers are inaccurate. The daily reports purportedly show that there are 1K reports from 23b every day. But the weekly active report shows that there are only about 100. Those numbers don't make sense next to each other. 

The weekly reports also don't show a COVID spike, which anecdotally doesn't make sense, and doesn't reflect the massive download spike that occurred at the same time For example, there were 50K downloads in April 2020 which is double current downloads. You would expect there to be a massive spike in the weekly reports. We see the sharp increase but then it plateaus at a slightly lower rate. That doesn't make sense when downloads are half what they were. The weekly reports should either steadily increase at a lower than previous rate or there should be a massive drop in reports because of uninstalls. 

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, chrstgtr said:

Something in the data doesn't make sense. 

The daily reports also suggest that those weekly numbers are inaccurate. The daily reports purportedly show that there are 1K reports from 23b every day. But the weekly active report shows that there are only about 100. Those numbers don't make sense next to each other. 

The weekly reports also don't show a COVID spike, which anecdotally doesn't make sense, and doesn't reflect the massive download spike that occurred at the same time For example, there were 50K downloads in April 2020 which is double current downloads. You would expect there to be a massive spike in the weekly reports. We see the sharp increase but then it plateaus at a slightly lower rate. That doesn't make sense when downloads are half what they were. The weekly reports should either steadily increase at a lower than previous rate or there should be a massive drop in reports because of uninstalls. 

The first graph is by WFG, the latter two by Canonical.

The 1k in the WFG graph is for v-16 (a25 I guess), while v-11 is only ~400. Still shockingly high I'd say.

The covid spike is quite apparent in the graphs from Canonical, the one from WFG only covers the last month.

Linux users don't download from WFG at all (at least hardly), distributions either mirror the sources or offer built binaries themself.

The graphs from Canonical mostly show the shift from deb to snap. There isn't much other information to glean there other than estimating user base based on the plateau.

The only thing I'm wondering is the exact definition of "weekly active devices"

• Thanks 1

Thanks, that is helpful @hyperion

1 hour ago, hyperion said:

The first graph is by WFG, the latter two by Canonical.

Different data sources would help explain it. That would also require there be limited crossover. I don't know about enough the data sources to know. 

The 1k in the WFG graph is for v-16 (a25 I guess), while v-11 is only ~400. Still shockingly high I'd say.

You're right. I'm half colorblind. The different data sources also helps explain this. It would be interesting to this graph over a longer period of time. 

The covid spike is quite apparent in the graphs from Canonical, the one from WFG only covers the last month.

There is a spike. But then it plateaus. That doesn't quite make sense unless you assume there is basically zero player retention. In this scenario, players would download the game play for like a month before uninstalling and the total number of ~18K active players only stay constant because of a steady steam of ~25K downloads. That would also mean that 18K from Canonical, which is active weekly players, and the 22K from WFG, which is all active from this year, are only close to one another because of coincidence. 

I guess the extremely low retention could make sense because in MP isn't fully established and in SP there isn't a campaign mode and the AI is very predictable, which makes makes the game very repetitive once you learn the basics after a few weeks. 

Edited by chrstgtr

2 hours ago, hyperion said:

The only thing I'm wondering is the exact definition of "weekly active devices"

Yeah I'm also quite dubious about it. From what I could gather after a one hour search it seems to be only people who have it installed. Which is, to us at least a very useless metric. The snap apparently pings the server when the device is online. Would be interesting to sniff that packet maybe to know if it sends it if you run the game or just periodically.

1 hour ago, chrstgtr said:

You're right. I'm half colorblind. The different data sources also helps explain this. It would be interesting to this graph over a longer period of time. 

@vladislavbelov can generate it I think. I'll ask him

1 hour ago, chrstgtr said:

I guess the extremely low retention could make sense because in MP isn't fully established and in SP there isn't a campaign mode and the AI is very predictable, which makes makes the game very repetitive once you learn the basics after a few weeks. 

Yeah it's possible. Sad though. Still the amount of people having never heard of the game never cease to amaze me. About 12/250 people I met last weekend heard of it.

2 hours ago, hyperion said:

Still shockingly high I'd say.

Well. Linux. Slackware had to switch to clang to be able to compile. They had GCC 4.8.1

https://repology.org/project/0ad/versions

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Stan` said:

I assume most people don't activate ingame feedback.

Played this game for 6 years and only now noticed i don't have it on either lol. Could make the button red if it's disabled or something so it catches the eye better.

Edited by Grapjas

4 minutes ago, Stan` said:

Maybe it's because everyone uses Shiny by @maroder

Ah. Wasn't aware that another UI would change the stuff that is on screen.

6 minutes ago, Grapjas said:

with a Bee Gees song in the background?

Spoiler

Ha ha ha ha Zero A D, Zero A D

ha ha ha ha haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Stan` said:

Maybe it's because everyone uses Shiny by @maroder

yeah, I meant to make it a popup at some point :D

also, I personally just enabled feedback a few months ago after playing for years now and none of the people I know that play the game have it enabled, so I guess you can multiply the number easily by 10x or even more. Especially since the game has a major Linux audience who is generally even more conscious about their personal data and security stuff.

• Like 2

On 08/07/2022 at 9:46 AM, Stan` said:
12: {name: 'Mexico', number_of_users: 297}
13: {name: 'Argentina', number_of_users: 292}

this is natural, Argentines are very addicted to all three, especially AOE.

Mexico too. They like more that they represent their culture. Mexicans are quite nationalistic.