Modding and Game Design

14 hours ago, Gurken Khan said:

Seems contradictory to me. Wouldn't the lesson of the vids be to concentrate on single player and campaigns, while allowing the game to be modded?

And add flashy swoops and explosions for spectacle.

To promote mods in MP I guess it would be nice to keep the surface (lobby) running, while restarting the needed components for playing ~invisibly.

They aren't contradictory. But they are separate things. I think when the creativity of modders is enabled more, they will create single player campaigns. Campaign creation tools could be a part of this modding enabling, like cutscenes.

19 hours ago, Stan` said:

I mean I keep promoting mods :) I keep retweeting when people tag me, we have mod.io and moddb, I talk about mods at events, I even showed @maroder 's new UI at the Japan Tours Festival.

My issue right now is I'm maintaining too many of them. Warcraft Themed one, starcraft, wwII, american civil war, MLP etc... 

You are doing a lot. Participating in Art development as well as project lead. If we can enable modders more, maintenance would be less time consuming.

I think the whole editing XML files can be done way more efficiently. The mixin template thing is a huge, underrated improvement. But I also think a lot of the directory arrangement of files needs to change. In the world of web development, people used to separate files by type. All the JS, CSS, HTML etc would be in different directories. Now. These things tend to be combined together. One page or component from a page uses all of them in one file. It's separating files by Function, rather than file type.

I think in the case of this game, it's worth looking at putting Code for 1 weapon or person model into one directory. Something like this:

weapons/gladius/icon.png
weapons/gladius/model.dae
weapons/gladius/stats.xml

For new contributors I think it could reduce the time it takes to understand and navigate file structure.

Edited by myou5e

17 hours ago, alre said:

also the the game settings reset every time is a bit tedious.

17 hours ago, Stan` said:

Sounds like a bug @wraitii @Freagarach @Langbart

I guess we need more information than "reset every time". Do you mean when activating a mod?

7 hours ago, Gurken Khan said:

Wasn't there someone else who did previous trailers?

Aye, but they aren't active anymore.

22 hours ago, Stan` said:

I think so yes. @wraitii

The problem is you have to rebuild the whole virtual file system respecting the order of the mods, and whatever the JS code might be doing.

It's complex, not necessarily outstandingly so. But mostly I don't think it 'breaks' the flow of anything, it's really just a long reloading time and with some cleverness it could be hidden. I don't think it's particularly a problem here.

• Like 1

On 03/07/2022 at 10:13 AM, myou5e said:

From this, I think that Modding, and sharing and playing mods co/op should be a focus of development. Single player campaigns are great, but this is something which comes after really good modding and mod sharing tools are implemented.

Mod sharing between users... so that players have even less idea of where they obtained mods from.

When a user is about to install a mod manually (ie. bypassing the developer review and signing of a mod as free of malware), I think that big security warnings should be displayed and a prompt asking whether the user has reviewed the JavaScript code for malware should be presented. The options should be "Yes, I have reviewed the source code so proceed with installation" or "No, I have not reviewed the source code so cancel installation".

If you don't know why this is important then please read this bug report.

Bug number 5850 Security issue: GUI file access, protected config values, and mods

Edited by Norse_Harold

6 hours ago, Norse_Harold said:

Mod sharing between users... so that players have even less idea of where they obtained mods from.

When a user is about to install a mod manually (ie. bypassing the developer review and signing of a mod as free of malware), I think that big security warnings should be displayed and a prompt asking whether the user has reviewed the JavaScript code for malware should be presented. The options should be "Yes, I have reviewed the source code so proceed with installation" or "No, I have not reviewed the source code so cancel installation".

If you don't know why this is important then please read this bug report.

Bug number 5850 Security issue: GUI file access, protected config values, and mods

I've said many times that these hotloadable mods should not contain JS files. The concept of a mod would need to be changed somewhat. There are:

1. Modders of the Engine and game logic. Including JS files and potential source rebuilds. (Forks, really, not mods)
  2. There are Mods which can include anything which is now in the mod directory.
  3. Then there are mods that modify only non executable files. This can include skins and rebalances of the game.  If you have well formatted XML and other non executable files, the security issues are fairly small.

Edited by myou5e