Unit List

Rocklobster

We have about 600 pages of document describing every aspect of units amongst 99.9% of everything else about the game. Needless to say, this is our baby that we've been working on for years, we're not about to make it all availible to public, atleast not now when 1) we still have alot to do and don't want people stealing our ideas, 2) many of the details in the document are highly subject to change when we start testing them out while playtesting, and 3) there is so much technical jargon in there it probably wouldn't be very fun for you fans to read :D

So this document is basicaly the master plan of 0ad, every aspect of the game is described and listed in this file? Sounds pretty important, I can see why you would want to keep it confidential, at least for the time being. However, is there any chance we can see a list of units for each civ like in AoK or AoM?

Problem is, we don't know exactly if all of the units in the document are going to make the final version of the game. In fact, we won't know until we conclude beta testing. We don't want to release a bunch of information that is vulnerable to change. Yet with that being said... let me give you a rough layout of a master sheet from units possible in the game.

I'll leave it to you fans to discuss what civs should get what units, what their names should be, stats, etc...

Infantry Spearman

Infantry Swordsman

Infantry Javelineer

Infantry Archer

Infantry Slinger

Cavalry Spearman

Cavalry Swordsman

Cavalry Javelineer

Cavalry Archer

Infantry Super Unit

Cavalry Super Unit

Big Ship

Medium Ship

Small Ship

Siege for Units

Siege for Buildings

Ram

Priest

Female Worker

Trader

Heres some ideas for the Romans:

Infantry Spearman- Triarius

Infantry Swordsman- Hastatus

Infantry Javelineer- Velite

Infantry Archer- Longbowman

Infantry Slinger- Slinger

Cavalry Spearman- Lancearii

Cavalry Swordsman- Cataphract

Cavalry Javelineer- ?

Cavalry Archer- Clibanarii

Infantry Super Unit- Legionary

Cavalry Super Unit- Equite

Big Ship- Juggernaught

Medium Ship- Trireme

Small Ship- Galley

Siege for Units- Ballista

Siege for Buildings- Siege Tower

Ram

Priest

Female Worker

Trader

I'll post some more civ ideas later.

Good list of Roman troops there, covering a spread of 600 years of history :D But I have to ask, clibanarii for horse archer? With all that armor? :D

An option for a Roman cavalry javelineer is the standard 1st and 2nd century AD light horseman, who carried a bundle of javelins on his saddle, along with the Late Roman javelin-armed light horse.

Good list of Roman troops there, covering a spread of 600 years of history  But I have to ask, clibanarii for horse archer? With all that armor?

I believe Clibanarii were sort of the Roman versions of the Persian Kataphractoi, armed with a sword, mace and bow. Just an idea.

Just curious... where does the "juggernaught" come from and was it really a class of ship in ancient times? Or, as I suspect, is it a designation we modern historians have dubbed for any super large ancient warship?

Good point. I just got it from AoE, but I thought the same thing. Maybe a list like Bireme, Trireme, and Quinquereme would be better?

If you really wanted to be as historicaly accurate as possible, then you would use the actualy Latin names rather than the english versions.

Edited by Caesar89

Juggernaut, if I remember correctly, was the name of a multi-armed Hindu war god. It came to mean an unstoppable opponent with overwhelming firepower.

@ John - Oh I didn't mean anything nasty or anything there, just so you know :D The clibinarii you are describing are Byzantine I believe, Roman clibs were just like cataphracts with much more armor and armed with a lance.

@ Jason - You should make sci-fi :D.......wait, I love sci-fi.....

So would I actually :D My brother and I actually created a sci-fi universe over the course of 3 years, complete with 8 main races and dozens of minor ones. We designed probably over 200 ships, with technical readouts and armaments, along with tanks, apcs, artillery, landing craft, hover-bikes, rifles, grenades, side arms, knives, body armor, languages, cultures, buildings, mythology, and customs.

I think the Clibanarii were created by Hadrian to be the Roman version of the Persian Kataphractoi, and they carried a number of weapons, but I am possibly mistaken about the bow. At any rate the Romans did not use cavalry archers to any great extent.

The list I gave covers most of the Roman Republican era, and with a Legionary as the infantry super-unit you would also cover the Marian reforms.

• 8 months later...

Infantry Spearman- Triarius

Infantry Swordsman- Hastatus

Infantry Javelineer- Velite

Infantry Archer- Longbowman

Infantry Slinger- Slinger

Cavalry Spearman- Lancearii

Cavalry Swordsman- Cataphract

Cavalry Javelineer- ?

Cavalry Archer- Clibanarii

Infantry Super Unit- Legionary

Cavalry Super Unit- Equite

Big Ship- Juggernaught

Medium Ship- Trireme

Small Ship- Galley

Siege for Units- Ballista

Siege for Buildings- Siege Tower

Ram

Priest

Female Worker

Trader

Just a question. Will it be possible to assign one unit to have two types of melee attack and civilian skills?

It would be needed for pikemen as pike was in close combat pretty useless, so they would switch to swords.

I'd do it like this:

Infantry Spearman - Triarius - OK

Infantry Swordsman - Hastatus - OK (I miss Principle, though)

Infantry Javelineer - Velite - OK

Infantry Archer - Sagitarius - Longbowmen were Welsh invention IMHO

Infantry Slinger - Slinger - I don't like English name, but I don't know Latin equivalent

Cavalry Spearman - Clibanarius

Cavalry Swordsman - Cataphract - Romans equipped all heavy cavalry with lances IMHO

Cavalry Javelineer - ? - Equitus - I miss Light Cavalry

Cavalry Archer - Equitus Sagitarius? - IMHO Late Romans used horse archers, but in 0AD? What is singular from Equites? Equitus?

Infantry Super Unit - Marian Legionary?

Cavalry Super Unit - Roman cavalry was rather weak, co I don't know if they should have any.

Big Ship - One more row of oars, Quintireme?

Medium Ship - Trireme

Small Ship - Bireme

Siege for Units - Ballista, what about catapult?

Siege for Buildings - Siege Tower, Could be in Latin language?

Ram - Could be in Latin language?

Priest - What is function of Priest in game? Like in AoK?

Female Worker - Could be in Latin language?

Trader - Could be in Latin language?

Personally, I don't like English names of Latin units. About ships, they were named according rows of oars, so, two rows - Bireme, three -Trireme, one more -Quintireme (I'm not sure about this name).

Whoa, I made up that list months ago ;)

I never meant for anyone to actualy consider it- talk to the actual 0ad historians instead; I'm just an amateur :shrug:

The real Latin names would be good, in which cae there would be no "Legionary", rather a Miles Legatus- but like Paul said, I dont think a Legionary qualifies as a Punic era soldier.

Whoa, I made up that list months ago :D

I never meant for anyone to actualy consider it- talk to the actual 0ad historians instead; I'm just an amateur ;)

The real Latin names would be good, in which cae there would be no "Legionary", rather a Miles Legatus- but like Paul said, I dont think a Legionary qualifies as a Punic era soldier.

Right you are about Legionary. They most certainly didn't name them so.

Problem is, that I'm not sure which period is covered by 0AD as Roman army changed in time. So, perhaps there could be more periods in game (perhaps three - Early, Marian and Late?). Because Clibanarius was introduced by Hadrian AFAIK.

If I might suggest, if someone has Medieval: Total War - Viking Invasion, try mod Fall of Rome (http://rapidshare.de/files/5087854/Fall_of_Rome-3.0.exe.html). Its creator (with my minor help :shrug: ) has done cool job and provided numbers of cool units for Late Roman era. One of the best mods for MTW I've ever played. Really.