flare without comment often creates quarrels

seeh

sometimes others flare and add a comment like:

- 5 to you

- help

and sometimes i got flares without any comment.

then last games i ask "whats up?" and often i get no answer.

then if i have cavs i take a look to this position.

if i have most pike-man and rest most female workers i not run to this position,

it was sometimes happens i run with all military to this position and there is no help needed. was a miss-click he said.

i sometimes confused about my own behavior. so it happens that i flare and don't add a comment.

sometimes the other players are very very angry if they feel not understood correct.

many enable the card update very late, and some others very early. the often think then flare is enough without comment. but if you update this card update, to see your aliens, short time behind p3 your often don't understand what a flare is.

i recommend. please add a little comment,  like "help". or "help to many" or something. or "help, maybe i could do it" .... anything. if you have other ideas.

an audio talk within a team could also be very helpful. those were a few thoughts.

Edited by seeh
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

Help defense, help attack, help here, "look" and "expand here" or "take this place".

or "Help defense", "help attack", "help here", "look", "cavs to you" and "expand here" or "take this place".

my suggestions for thematic flares:

- enemy menace here: symbol is either an exclamation point or an interrogation point, automatically selected depending if the signaling player has current visibility on the signaled point.

- please engage here: symbol is a sword/banner planted on the ground.

- pay attention here: ideally, this uses a more relaxed sound clue than the above, and the symbol is a dot with rays around it.

I think any flare used currently can fall in one of the three categories above. ideally, the sound clues would be differentiated.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We already have a feature where you can request attack against a player. I think this should also be the same. When you click on flare, multiple standard standrd command will pop up as mentioned by @Lion.Kanzen

On 23/06/2022 at 4:44 AM, Lion.Kanzen said:

we certainly need 3-5 basic commands for the flare. Help defense, help attack, help here, "look" and "expand here" or "take this place".

The player will select the command. If don't select any of these and use flare on map, then the popup will close and flare will act as normal present flare, you can mentione the reason in comment. Attaching wireframe for the same.

@Stan` Do you think this a small task or big task?1548502182_Sampleflare_1.thumb.jpg.33aa945874356d50a91e205356bfee97.jpg

2098684859_Sampleflare_2.png

Edited by Darkcity
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 22/06/2022 at 9:57 PM, seeh said:

many enable the card update very late, and some others very early. the often think then flare is enough without comment. but if you update this card update, to see your aliens, short time behind p3 your often don't understand what a flare is.

By "card update" do you mean "Cartography". By "aliens" do you mean "allies"?

I agree with your points. I consider it important for players to give at least a brief statement about the purpose of the flare or ping. Even better is to describe the number and type of enemy troops in the area so that other players respond more intelligently.

Edited by Norse_Harold
  • Thanks 1

For initial testing, we can keep it as flare + flare message as chat message. If we see good response from players about this features, we can build more into it.

My point is to have player acceptance of basic 4/5 flare messages. Based on that we can build it more. For example

1. Have a scrollable list of flare messages
  2. Flaring to set of inviduals (Might need for diplomacy mode)
  3. Allow user to set their own flare types. 
  4. Playername against flare in mini map.

There are just few scenarions which can be added. But, lets roll out basic flaing options.

Edited by Darkcity

Some extra flare message suggestions (based on experience):

1. Look where I just suicided my entire army because it's now your problem.
  2. The army you warned me about via the chat really came to where you said it's coming.
  3. I noticed some enemy cavalry, but I only make women, so if you don't come deal with it all by yourself now, I'm going to quit and it's your fault.
  4. I am just flaring again to help you answer your questions as to what my previous flare was supposed to mean.
  • Haha 5

3 hours ago, Boudica said:

Some extra flare message suggestions (based on experience):

1. Look where I just suicided my entire army because it's now your problem.
  2. The army you warned me about via the chat really came to where you said it's coming.
  3. I noticed some enemy cavalry, but I only make women, so if you don't come deal with it all by yourself now, I'm going to quit and it's your fault.
  4. I am just flaring again to help you answer your questions as to what my previous flare was supposed to mean.

yes these are all very helpful and OP. XD

• Thanks 1

On 09/07/2022 at 8:38 AM, Boudica said:
  1. I am just flaring again to help you answer your questions as to what my previous flare was supposed to mean.

Def the most common one for people who don't use the chat function to answer "why are you flaring?" This is also usually quickly followed by a resignation and chat complaints asking why you didn't help

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1