Romans lol

Not to be racist or anything, I'm sure their parents loved their children very much and had great motivation when they called their child "Quintus Fabius Maximus Verrucosus Cunctator", but I'm just saying I do wish their parents had considered a little more the challenges that such decisions would have upon User Interfaces in the deep future which being designed for any reasonable language would not occlude text but unfortunately does for such ridiculously ostentatious names.  What should be done about the Roman Question?

0ad_roman_dude.thumb.jpg.9240ddcb16030f5664991d77e6d761ee.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

They can be added back in later. 

We were discussing this in IRC. I want to have them back for Documentation purposes. They can be excluded for the translators if need be another way. But I think they are good for game culture and mood etc.

• Like 3

For a game that want's to bring history closer to users 0ad doesn't do great. I'd love to be able to click an entity an read up a bit about it. I see that doing it in game is sort of challenging and without a dev being fully behind it probably not possible to realize. Maybe a website dedicated to bringing historic facts closer for the civs portrayed would be easier to find a maintainer for and would go great lengths. Besides incredible freedom in presentation such a site can easy reference sources, beeing viewed using a translator software and more.

3 minutes ago, hyperion said:

For a game that want's to bring history closer to users 0ad doesn't do great. I'd love to be able to click an entity an read up a bit about it. I see that doing it in game is sort of challenging and without a dev being fully behind it probably not possible to realize. Maybe a website dedicated to bringing historic facts closer for the civs portrayed would be easier to find a maintainer for and would go great lengths. Besides incredible freedom in presentation such a site can easy reference sources, beeing viewed using a translator software and more.

It's there, the strings are just missing and need to be added back :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stan` said:

It's there, the strings are just missing and need to be added back

I remember there were some history tags in the templates but I don't remember them having been exposed in the UI ever. Anyway some text would be nice, support for illustrations even better.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, hyperion said:

I remember there were some history tags in the templates but I don't remember them having been exposed in the UI ever. Anyway some text would be nice, support for illustrations even better.

Images are a bit tricky but the text should be pretty straightforward to add

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/06/2022 at 10:34 PM, hyperion said:

Well they still are

image.png

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...