Alpha 26 Pre-release/Release Candidate Build Testing

btw: is there a reason why as Gaia I can select any resource, but when I select multiple and there's meat in there it only selects the meat? Why doesn't it just select all resources? I find that very inconvenient.

Spoiler

When I'm not sure if I want to play a map, I save, exit, load replay, change to Gaia and do an estimate on the wood (I don't like "hunger games" with scarce wood). Already not very convenient. I usually do that estimate with an area selection, but as soon as there's an animal in the area I only see the animal(s)... *frustrated grunt*

46 minutes ago, BreakfastBurrito_007 said:

are the silhouettes consistently off for you or do they flicker? 

I'd say they're consistently on for me*. Didn't notice anything off so far; after that incident I opened up a save from the previous game and the silhouettes showed. Opened an earlier save from that "ambush" game:

0ad-rc3nosilh2.jpg.39d136425a51d132ae3b7d703419e0d2.jpg

*Except that "ambush". I believe I'd notice silhouette issues and that they were fine, and then they were suddenly not anymore when I went up that "ambush" hill.

Edit:

10 minutes ago, real_tabasco_sauce said:

@Gurken Khan do you have a large screen?

Nope. 1920x1080.

Edit2:

I saved when I was running up that hill, seems only that location is cursed:

0ad-rc3nosilh3.thumb.jpg.4122d66429402faab9d971d8319fa1d9.jpg

Edited by Gurken Khan

13 hours ago, Gurken Khan said:

I saved when I was running up that hill, seems only that location is cursed:

0ad-rc3nosilh3.thumb.jpg.4122d66429402faab9d971d8319fa1d9.jpg

I wonder if it's just because the hill is elevated. Perhaps try zooming in and out or panning around away from the hill. In any case, it seems like @BreakfastBurrito_007's issue is more severe, but they might not even be related.

11 minutes ago, real_tabasco_sauce said:

I wonder if it's just because the hill is elevated. Perhaps try zooming in and out or panning around away from the hill.

I wouldn't know how the elevation could play into this. No matter the zoom or angle, the silhouettes stay off on that hill; something's even cutting them from units on lower ground:

0ad-rc3nosilh4.jpg.e5a822c2894989cbbba9127db16bb9ec.jpg

I'm attaching that save, maybe someone could check if they can reproduce, or inspect that hill.

25 minutes ago, real_tabasco_sauce said:

In any case, it seems like @BreakfastBurrito_007's issue is more severe, but they might not even be related.

I'm guessing it's two separate issues.

savegame-1171.0adsave

50 minutes ago, Gurken Khan said:

0ad-rc3nosilh4.jpg.e5a822c2894989cbbba9127db16bb9ec.jpg

I'm attaching that save, maybe someone could check if they can reproduce, or inspect that hill.

1 hour ago, real_tabasco_sauce said:

In any case, it seems like @BreakfastBurrito_007's issue is more severe, but they might not even be related.

I'm guessing it's two separate issues.

savegame-1171.0adsave 899 kB · 0 downloads

Ok i reproduced, I think its just because the trees on those hills are not gaia. They are not resources, and are instead part of the map.

Not a huge issue IMO, but I agree @BreakfastBurrito_007's issue is different.

• Like 1

A torrent I'm seeding, it's an AppImage I created of the latest 0ad dev snapshot at svn rev 27077

magnet:?xt=urn:btih:b53d14f9027859128e38a238d219c29fd3c0f4ba&dn=0ad-a26-27077-x86_64.AppImage

magnet:?xt=urn:btih:e33ed5ec968a5b31ddb3a36fc623b357db4c2f10&dn=0ad-a26-27077-x86_64-2.AppImage

Edited by andy5995

This is as soon as I start a normal 1v1 game. If I did this on full-screen the Xbox Game Bar would instantly stop recording immediately when black bars or flickers appear at random times. Begins when doing a snap-in at opposing center, was about to go back to my base to actually place the house somewhere around mine.

commands.txtmetadata.json

3 hours ago, Carltonus said:

This is as soon as I start a normal 1v1 game. If I did this on full-screen the Xbox Game Bar would instantly stop recording immediately when black bars or flickers appear at random times. Begins when doing a snap-in at opposing center, was about to go back to my base to actually place the house somewhere around mine.

Could you make a screenshot via F2? Does it contain black bars?

Also could you attach your system_info and hwreport (you might find them by paths from https://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/GameDataPaths#VistaWindows10)?

Is freezing reproducible?

On 29/08/2022 at 7:08 AM, alre said:

do han halberdiers need to be on pikeman class? ji are not pikes, and they have different stats anyway.

They originally had different stats, but then those different stats were stripped out. I made them (IIRC) have slightly higher attack and speed, but a couple less pierce armor (no shield). This was not liked, apparently 

18 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

They originally had different stats, but then those different stats were stripped out. I made them (IIRC) have slightly higher attack and speed, but a couple less pierce armor (no shield). This was not liked, apparently 

I feel like rather than trying to change these melee units' stats, we should just make formations useful and give more pierce armor to certain units when in certain formations. That would help solve the melee vs range debate and would also historical lend accuracy. 

But I digress...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

at current revision, they do have different stats from other pikemen, but they still have the pikemen class.

1 hour ago, chrstgtr said:

I feel like rather than trying to change these melee units' stats, we should just make formations useful and give more pierce armor to certain units when in certain formations. That would help solve the melee vs range debate and would also historical lend accuracy. 

But I digress...

you do, changing the role of formations in the gameplay would require a lot of work and the effects are not knowable until then. that's no alternative to just changing some stats now, it's not even comparable.

54 minutes ago, alre said:

at current revision, they do have different stats from other pikemen, but they still have the pikemen class.

Nice. I thought that was taken out. I see no reason why every pikeman needs the exact same stats. Nor does every spearman need the same stats (e.g. Hoplites vs. "regular" spearmen). Just the same role.

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone

2 hours ago, chrstgtr said:

But I digress...

Formations were originally supposed to do this, but put on the back burner for many years. I am not sure how difficult it would be to allow formations to have auras, since formations are templates like units are, can have actors, etc. Such an aura would probably use the "formation" "type", applying to all units within it.

I agree with @alre though that for now, simple unit template stat changes are all we have. 

22 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Formations were originally supposed to do this, but put on the back burner for many years. I am not sure how difficult it would be to allow formations to have auras, since formations are templates like units are, can have actors, etc. Such an aura would probably use the "formation" "type", applying to all units within it.

I agree with @alre though that for now, simple unit template stat changes are all we have. 

I would’ve thought that this would already be possible because of the Athens hero already does it. But maybe not because I would propose that units like spears, which have a shield, would get a pierce armor boost while units like archers, which have no shield, would not get a boost 

the current unit stat adjustment method just doesn't make a ton of sense. And formations right now don’t really have much purpose aside from making micro easier

Edited by chrstgtr

1 minute ago, chrstgtr said:

I would’ve thought that this would already be possible because of the Athens hero already does it. 

The aura is generated by the hero, not the formation though. You don't want to have every unit in the formation generating auras, you want the formation itself to generate 1 aura that applies to units within it. 

1 minute ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

The aura is generated by the hero, not the formation though. You don't want to have every unit in the formation generating auras, you want the formation itself to generate 1 aura that applies to units within it. 

Got it. Yeah, I simultaneously revised my comment as you wrote this. What I would want wouldn’t even be every unit.  It would just be those that actually have shields. 

• maroder unpinned this topic
  • Stan` unfeatured this topic