Alpha 26 Pre-release/Release Candidate Build Testing

2 hours ago, Philip the Swaggerless said:

Yes, but since there was no reduction in speed before it didn't feel wrong. It feels wrong to me now but maybe rounding of corners is out of the scope of these tests.

I think the units slow down more when they take bigger angle turns. I suppose if you wanted cavalry to not slow down when turning you would make a series of smaller angle turns. It would be cool if there was 0 slowdown for a 30 degree angle either left or right. 

31 minutes ago, BreakfastBurrito_007 said:

I think the units slow down more when they take bigger angle turns. I suppose if you wanted cavalry to not slow down when turning you would make a series of smaller angle turns. It would be cool if there was 0 slowdown for a 30 degree angle either left or right. 

@bb_ RB?

3 hours ago, Philip the Swaggerless said:

Yes, but since there was no reduction in speed before it didn't feel wrong. It feels wrong to me now but maybe rounding of corners is out of the scope of these tests.

this was my main complain to acceleration as well. I hope one day they implement units automatically rounding corners to avoid slowdown. until then, acceleration is more of a programming stunt than a feature. luckily, at current values it's hardly noticeable (I don't know about ships though, I haven't tested them lately).

1 hour ago, BreakfastBurrito_007 said:

there is 0 slowdown for small angles (except for turning time, which still counts), but I made some tests when acceleration came up, and it's not practical to break turns manually, to avoid the slowdown. it's a micro nightmare.

Since I play on turtle speed I usually don't have a (working) replay for my games (not doing it in one sitting). Now I had one, looked at it, and it is total rubbish. The beginning seems about right, with my glorious battle to erect my trusted twin towers (without losing a unit), and it seems to go off at ~2:30 when it shows I can research the woodcutting upgrade but allegedly don't (which ofc I totally did).

Any of you ever checked your replays in these RCs?

I have one save from 10:16, just for comparison.

I don't know what's up with the replay folder, that game was my last, so I wanted to attach the last replay, but since I have one folder from the playing time and one from viewing time, I included both; and the cache, whatever.

Also: wth doesn't 0AD use the system time? Doesn't help to identify files when the times displayed in the menus differ from the times in the file system.

savegame-1126.0adsave rubbishreplay.zip

1 hour ago, Stan` said:

Nope but you can create one :)

mkay, just created my first ticket ever: https://trac.wildfiregames.com/ticket/6611#ticket

Don't know if I got all the facts straight (the places it affects, "UI - in-game"), but made it a release blocker anyway since it renders the game literally unplayable in the current state. :P

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

48 minutes ago, Gurken Khan said:

mkay, just created my first ticket ever: https://trac.wildfiregames.com/ticket/6611#ticket

Don't know if I got all the facts straight (the places it affects, "UI - in-game"), but made it a release blocker anyway since it renders the game literally unplayable in the current state. :P

It is absolutely not a release blocker. 

• Like 2

We seem to have a really hard time getting people to test the new changes. What if we took down the a25 lobby for 3-5 days and instead put a message suggesting testing and providing links for RC downloads. I feel like many players would use the RC if other people were also doing so, and many more would not mind downloading the RC if it was the only option to play 0ad.

Playing a variety of TGs and 1v1s with players finding new strategies and sharing them and refining them are how we get to appreciate new changes, and a limited number of awkward and imbalanced RC matches are not sufficient for that. I know that this would result in a bunch of complaints, but I think it is a simple way to boost the player-developer interactions and feedback.

6 hours ago, BreakfastBurrito_007 said:

the a25 lobby for 3-5 days and instead put a message suggesting testing and providing links for RC downloads.

No need to take down the lobby, but i like the idea of having a message popup when a player joins the lobby that theres a release candidate for the next alpha available to play. Like a popup window with the message where someone can choose Download or Close.

• Like 2

• maroder unpinned this topic
  • Stan` unfeatured this topic