Alpha 26 Pre-release/Release Candidate Build Testing

Feature or bug? in A26 (or at least since the introduction of the theater)

I've  come to notice that when I capture an enemy theater that is close enough to the enemy's only CC to almost surround it, the theater in my hands has some negative effect on the CC's ability to maintain control over all his ungarrisoned buildings in the area it normally controls and they just destroy themselves.  IF I then attempt to capture the CC it self destructs, and all territory outside of the theater's influence reverts to neutral.  In the first stage after the theater capture, the CC's boundaries are of  the expected diameter and colored with the enemies color. 

When I want that CC to be able to harvest more stuff, its kind of annoying to be cheated out of the opportunity of immediately starting production.

On 19/07/2022 at 6:21 AM, maroder said:

Off-topic but I think it would be good to remove the "Trained by" & "Builds" information from the tooltip. I feel like they provide near to no value and are just visual distraction

This information could be useful if presented in a better way, but I agree as presented it's very cluttery.

On 20/07/2022 at 5:58 PM, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

This information could be useful if presented in a better way

what case are you thinking of?

I would say if you have a unit selected you automatically see what it can build, so that duplication is unnecessary in every case.

An the "trained by" doesn't make that much sense to me either, as you usually have already built the unit from the exact building, before you look at the tooltip.

• Like 1

Might be my lack of imagination, but I can't think of a way to present that info where it would be useful. "Built by": every building can be built by all pedestrians that aren't hero or champ; once one has gotten that concept one wouldn't go through any of these walls of text.

15 minutes ago, maroder said:

"trained by"

The "TRAINS:" section is useless for me, because I always go to the structure tree via the emblem; I find it much easier to see the info there. Maybe it could be useful, but if for example one doesn't know what a "Warrior" is, one doesn't learn that neither from the tooltip nor from the info panel for that building.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, maroder said:

what case are you thinking of?

I would say if you have a unit selected you automatically see what it can build, so that duplication is unnecessary in every case.

An the "trained by" doesn't make that much sense to me either, as you usually have already built the unit from the exact building, before you look at the tooltip.

You've convinced me.

I think something more useful would be a section that lists the current techs applied to this unit, and then another section that shows remaining available techs for this unit.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Gurken Khan said:

What's that "(extends)"?

Means the person is poisoned for longer as opposed to stack.

15 minutes ago, Gurken Khan said:

I think the "Attack" block looks horrible with those three different indents.

Feel free to suggest things.

16 minutes ago, Gurken Khan said:

Poisoned" attack tells me it's poisonous; do we really need that sentence telling us that the unit causes poison damage?

Maybe 13 years old kids do? Dunno.

35 minutes ago, Stan` said:

Means the person is poisoned for longer as opposed to stack.

Thx. Everyone except me got that right away? ;)

36 minutes ago, Stan` said:

Feel free to suggest things.

What I particularly dislike is the text jumping to the very beginning of the line after the line break. So maybe format it so that each subsequent line starts at the position of its (sub)header? But maybe that could lead to space problems (with translations) or it's just me anyway.

prodomos1.jpg.687a761809d6bba5351ef088fcd5c058.jpg   prodomos2.jpg.80c7b9fa0b067eeb8ca35484a6907b2a.jpg

I'm puzzled. The enemy horsy takes 10 damage from a hit from my tower, except for the first hit where it takes only 9? And I think it's consistent, that's not the first horsy where I watch that happen. Is there an explanation?

8 hours ago, Gurken Khan said:

What I particularly dislike is the text jumping to the very beginning of the line after the line break. So maybe format it so that each subsequent line starts at the position of its (sub)header? But maybe that could lead to space problems (with translations) or it's just me anyway.

Actually you are right. It is the case, that text is jumping to next line with no indentation. [Attaching the screenshots].

I see following problem with in-game stats UI (image 2). [I'm taking my own product and player perspective]

1. It looks too cluttered
  2. Too taxt heavy. Not sure if player checks all info.

Few suggestions

1. Fix indentation in text
  2. Replace text with icon. Example, just like we are showing food and wood icon instead of writing food and wood. Similarly we should use poison icon instead of writing poison. Show Bow icon instead of wiring Bow, replace seconds with timer icon etc.
  3. Remove less important information. Not sure how many people care about capture details and loot from the unit. If I put a rank on how important is the information in the stat screen then the sequence is as follows. (image 2).
    1. Cost
    2. Health
    3. Attack
      3.1 Primary weapon i.e., Bow/sword etc
      3.2 Special damage is any
    4. Resistance
    5. Walk speed
    6. Attack capture
    7. Loot

We can remove attack capture and Loot from stats pop-up and put it on detailed view of unit (image 1).

One more alternative solution...

1. We can also ask for community to help in improved designs.

1592689908_Screenshot(166).png

1445300270_Screenshot(167).png

Edited by Darkcity

11 hours ago, Gurken Khan said:

I'm puzzled. The enemy horsy takes 10 damage from a hit from my tower, except for the first hit where it takes only 9? And I think it's consistent, that's not the first horsy where I watch that happen. Is there an explanation?

Probably because the damage dealt by the tower is like 9.75 or something after damage application.

4 hours ago, Darkcity said:
  • It looks too cluttered
  • Too taxt heavy. Not sure if player checks all info.

Actually there has been a recent flamewar about there being not enough info there...

39 minutes ago, Stan` said:

Actually there has been a recent flamewar about there being not enough info there...

Can you please refer me to that thread?.

In my opinion, most of the players during game don't talk about captures and loot stuff, they talk about attack and defense stats. Besides player can always see detailed view of unit in information window (on right click on unit image). If we want to add anything we should add them in information screen that is dedicated to show unit related information. For other screen, we should keep only useful info and less text heavy. 

Edited by Darkcity

6 minutes ago, Darkcity said:

Can you please refer me to that thread?.

In my opinion, most of the players during game don't talk about captures and loot stuff, they talk about attack and defense stats. Besides player can always see detailed view of unit in information window (on right click on unit image). If we want to add anything we should add them in information screen that is dedicated to show unit related information. For other screen, we should keep only useful info and less text heavy. 

That is my opinion as well. Huge text-heavy tooltips might seem useful, but reality is a different story.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Stan` said:

Can't find it. It was a big battle but the search doesn't help. Maybe @wowgetoffyourcellphone remembers.

I think there were multiple discussions. I fell onto the side of simpler tooltips. Didn't make sense to me to duplicate a bunch of information between the tooltips and the information screens.

11 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

I think there were multiple discussions. I fell onto the side of simpler tooltips. Didn't make sense to me to duplicate a bunch of information between the tooltips and the information screens.

Yeah make sense. Tooltip should be minimalistic yet informatve with more intuitive icons and less text. While information screen can have detailed info.

• Like 1

On 22/07/2022 at 6:42 AM, Darkcity said:

Replace text with icon.

maybe like in the following?

https://wildfiregames.com/forum/uploads/monthly_2021_01/NeuUpgrades.png.32152ec03ea9fbaf132e0a1988a45471.png

I think it would be nice to use "tabs" like in a browser:

-"stats" tab

-"history" tab

-"builds" tab

-"equipment" tab; I don't know if this is possible, but for some units it would be nice to have some information about the props, like the roman pilum, scutum or gladius; or the iberian falcata

Also nice to have would be if you could press the upgrade buttons in the menu and you would instantly see how they effect the unit stats.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, nifa said:

maybe like in the following?

https://wildfiregames.com/forum/uploads/monthly_2021_01/NeuUpgrades.png.32152ec03ea9fbaf132e0a1988a45471.png

I think it would be nice to use "tabs" like in a browser:

-"stats" tab

-"history" tab

-"builds" tab

-"equipment" tab; I don't know if this is possible, but for some units it would be nice to have some information about the props, like the roman pilum, scutum or gladius; or the iberian falcata

Also nice to have would be if you could press the upgrade buttons in the menu and you would instantly see how they effect the unit stats.

GOOD IDEA!

• maroder unpinned this topic
  • Stan` unfeatured this topic