Alpha 26 Pre-release/Release Candidate Build Testing

On 10/07/2022 at 11:09 AM, Stan` said:
On 10/07/2022 at 9:12 AM, real_tabasco_sauce said:

It looks like the mace crossbow's range was reduced to 50. Was this intentional?

I don't think it is a good balance decision, they were fine at 60.

Could be the changes for the han crossbowmen @wowgetoffyourcellphone any clue?

I couldn't find any patch or ticket involving this change, so I assume it must have been.

7 hours ago, Gurken Khan said:

I thought I saw something being done about the worker's elephant problem to enter the CC from the corner; unfortunately it's still an issue.

Merely talked about it. See #6531. @wraitii might be the only one that can fix it for now.

6 hours ago, Gurken Khan said:

Y no flag? @Langbart

Fixed. r27005

7 hours ago, Gurken Khan said:

Edit: The worker ele lacks an acknowledging sound when ordered to build; if I have it selected together with inf they also won't make a sound when being ordered to build.

Fixed: r27006

6 hours ago, Gurken Khan said:

One of the things I noticed was the unit icons; did they all get an overhaul?

That would be @wowgetoffyourcellphone

6 hours ago, real_tabasco_sauce said:

I couldn't find any patch or ticket involving this change, so I assume it must have been.

This one [Diffusion] rP26469 (wildfiregames.com) Reduced max range for all crossbow units. Does the macedonian crossbowman need a hotfix?

• Thanks 2

9 hours ago, Stan` said:

This one [Diffusion] rP26469 (wildfiregames.com) Reduced max range for all crossbow units. Does the macedonian crossbowman need a hotfix?

I think the problem is that the Mace "crossbow" is supposed to be conceptualized as more of a siege weapon. I suggest perhaps champion crossbows get a bit of a range boost closer to the old range and maybe +5 crush damage. That way they feel more special. Something different from a champion archer.

10 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

I think the problem is that the Mace "crossbow" is supposed to be conceptualized as more of a siege weapon. I suggest perhaps champion crossbows get a bit of a range boost closer to the old range and maybe +5 crush damage. That way they feel more special. Something different from a champion archer.

They already function differently. They are more of a single shot killer with lower reload rate but quicker shot. Cross bows are a little under used right now because pikes are OP and merc cav is OP. Personally, I like the crossbow men and hope the a26 changes will make them more used. 

If the crossbow was conceptualized as a siege weapon then I think that mark was missed as they aren't good at crush and they're way inferior to bolts. I always thought they trained in the siege factory for some "differentiation" purpose, but I don't actually know. 

1 minute ago, chrstgtr said:

If the crossbow was conceptualized as a siege weapon then I think that mark was missed as they aren't good at crush and they're way inferior to bolts. I always thought they trained in the siege factory for some "differentiation" purpose, but I don't actually know. 

Yeah, Gastraphetes were largely relegated to siege operations (because they are quite unwieldy), not used so much in field battles. My stat suggestions were just spit balling, to rustle up some conversation. 

3 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Yeah, Gastraphetes were largely relegated to siege operations (because they are quite unwieldy), not used so much in field battles. My stat suggestions were just spit balling, to rustle up some conversation. 

Yeah, if that was the intention then I think something along the lines of your suggestion makes sense

Edit: mace crossbows are currently quite unwieldy...Very effective when used well, but that is quite hard to do

Edited by chrstgtr

17 hours ago, Stan` said:

yes, I think so.

range: 60 -> 50

prepare time 200 -> 600

spread 0.8 -> 3

speed 120 -> 80

^This is a massive nerf when there really was no nerf necessary.

I think the champion crossbow parent template should be reverted to a25 values, and the Han xbows adjusted accordingly if needed.

The cavalry champion crossbow template could remain as is, since shooting the xbow from horseback would be inaccurate (and for balance reasons).

• Like 1

When a formation is idle, the number of idles workers shown in the right down corner of the minimap seems to be buggy. It switches between including the formation and excluding it few times per second. Tested with svn version, most recent commit 27006. I think it's easy to reproduce in every game. Is that bug known?

On 7/12/2022 at 2:53 PM, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

A bonus against champion units and less xp to level up would be interesting in my opinion.

2 hours ago, nifa said:

When a formation is idle, the number of idles workers shown in the right down corner of the minimap seems to be buggy. It switches between including the formation and excluding it few times per second. Tested with svn version, most recent commit 27006. I think it's easy to reproduce in every game. Is that bug known?

@Langbart

On 12/07/2022 at 7:53 PM, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

I think the problem is that, if one wanted to follow history strictly, gastraphetes should probably not even exist as independent units, they should just be actors that shoot bolts from walls and siegeworks, because they were never ever employed in the field.

4 hours ago, Freagarach said:

They prevented setting the rally point of a market on a market, IIRC.

If this is a work around, i am okay with that. But the ability of ministers to lower the cost of technology research in markets would be great as well.

7 hours ago, nifa said:

I hope it's possible to see, the number of 4 idle workers below the minimap is blinking as soon as they get into a formation

@Stan` @Langbart

Quick feedback on SVN 27003: (RC2)

Persian don't have "conscription" and "levy" anymore, is it done in purpose ?
Persian Cav archer champs are exactly the sames as Persian chariots champs. And for the same unlock price when you unlock persian cav archer champs you get also spear cav champs.
Ptolemies are moved in the fort, it is no the same for seleucid, is it on purpose ?

• maroder unpinned this topic
  • Stan` unfeatured this topic