Alpha 26 Pre-release/Release Candidate Build Testing

I just had a look at the demo campaign. On the first map, Chang Jian, both the enemy (AI) and me start with two ports and a trader, but the enemy doesn't use it. It just parked the trader a bit off the first port.

0ad-nocluetrader.jpg.b5d05ebae1fd9cc6b27b8e6ad9e19e66.jpg

I really hope our AI can do better?

@Stan` You didn't reply to my last posts about diacritics, but that unit box (or whatever it's called) at the bottom also doesn't use them, but an alternative spelling of Kurush.

EDIT: After some minutes the enemy AI did start trading with its merchantman.

Edited by Gurken Khan

6 minutes ago, Gurken Khan said:

@Stan` You didn't reply to my last posts about diacritics, but that unit box (or whatever it's called) at the bottom also doesn't use them, but an alternative spelling of Kurush.

Still using the civ.json file for AI Names, which haven't been updated accordingly it seems.

I continued with the demo campaign. Interesting that you can string together maps like that, but ofc it doesn't really feel like a campaign as there is no continuity from one game to another. What I found a bit annoying was that the settings always reset to default (resources, speed...); usually those settings persist.

I don't think I will play the Cycladic Archipelago; I don't think I can fit all the buildings I want on my starting island and those other bits of land don't look like they can hold a CC, let alone additional buildings...

I found the Corinthian Isthmus map weird. Lots of space, but zero hunt (apart from the starting sheep). I'm still not a fan of needing merchantmen to collect sea bound treasures. Since trade didn't seem worthwhile in those puddles I produced two merchantmen and destroyed them after collecting; cost/profit seems ok, but still doesn't really feel satisfactory. The stone quarries are nice, but I find the 2000 stone / 4 worker slots totally disproportional.

@wowgetoffyourcellphone is this something that can/need to be improved ?

7 minutes ago, Gurken Khan said:

I continued with the demo campaign. Interesting that you can string together maps like that, but ofc it doesn't really feel like a campaign as there is no continuity from one game to another. What I found a bit annoying was that the settings always reset to default (resources, speed...); usually those settings persist.

@wraitii can we make it so campaign has its own settings instead of polluting sp?

On 08/07/2022 at 9:22 AM, Stan` said:

@wowgetoffyourcellphone is this something that can/need to be improved ?

As far the map stuff, those maps have always been that way, but they can be improved for A27 for sure.

Thinking more on it, it doesn't seem like a good idea to set maps into the campaign or set them as "new" just for new skins. Significant gameplay changes though, yes.

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone

5 hours ago, real_tabasco_sauce said:

Is there time to commit https://code.wildfiregames.com/D4722 before RC2? Fanas have needed some love for a couple of alphas now.

Maybe we need additional balance feedback/approval?

I think @chrstgtr was in favor too.

Too late... RC2 is there just haven't had to write the post and upload it...

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Gurken Khan said:

0ad-a26rc2mm.thumb.jpg.5e5e26d58e74162c1190c8d332d23499.jpg

Not too happy with the minimap. The metal icon seems very large, stone is not visible. Hunt icons are sketchy; one can guess there's something to the northeast of the CC, the chickens left from the CC are not indicated at all.

I had no issues with the minimap we currently have, and I am a bit worried about those larger markers covering up certain info

• Like 2

• maroder unpinned this topic
  • Stan` unfeatured this topic