Alpha 26 Pre-release/Release Candidate Build Testing

1 hour ago, AIEND said:

It was mentioned earlier that the paddy fields should be handed over to the Indians and Han's main crop is millet.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millet

it look like corn to me, but obviously isn't corn.I have never tried it.

Source say:

"Although this cereal is rarely used for human consumption in the West, in continents such as Asia and Africa it is an important source of food."

1 minute ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millet

对我来说它看起来像玉米,但显然不是玉米。我从未尝试过。

消息来源说:

很少用于人类消费,但 西方 在亚洲和非洲等大陆,它是一种重要的食物来源。”

With the advancement of agriculture, millet was gradually replaced by rice and wheat in China, just as wheat replaced oats, rye and barley in Europe.
People in the Han Dynasty generally ate millet as a staple food, but now we only use millet to cook porridge.

Hi,

I have tried the a26 pre-release candidate. Tutorial is much better now, great. Here is what I noticed:

- When leaving a game the text is bigger than the textbox (see picture)
- The new Macedonian wonder is beautiful but huge and hard to place.
- Selecting idle units selects the Han Minister (standing around "inspiring" his surroundings) which is a bit annoying.
- Selecting wounded units with hotkey (O) did not work
- Pigs, cows/water buffalo are no longer available in P1, not a fan of that

Thanks to all for your work here

screenshot0002.png

Consider the following situation: a javelin cavalry runs away from a chasing spear cavalry.

In A25, the javelin cavalry moves at constant speed, whereas the spear cavalry stops at some points to attack and then chases again with full speed.

In A25, the javelin cavalry moves at constant speed, whereas the spear cavalry stops at some points to attack and then chases again but it loses some time by needing to accelerate.

So I ran a test in the scenario editor. I had a javelin cavalry and waited until the spear cavalry did the first hit. Then immediately afterwards I ran away for a set amount of distance which I believe to be about 250 meters.

In A25, the javelin cavalry receives after the first hit 6 more hits while being chased over this distance.

In A26, the javelin cavalry receives after the first hit 4 more hits while being chased over this distance.

In a similar test:

In A25, the javelin cavalry receives after the first hit 12 more hits while being chased over a set distance.

In A26, the javelin cavalry receives after the first hit 7 more hits while being chased over a set distance.

I seems that it is a fair estimate to say that melee cavalry can't chase down javelin cavalry as good as they could in A25 and during the escaping phase, the javelin cavalry receives about 1/3rd less hits in A26.

Edited by LetswaveaBook

21 minutes ago, LetswaveaBook said:

I seems that it is a fair estimate to say that melee cavalry can't chase down javelin cavalry as good as they could in A25 and during the escaping phase, the javelin cavalry receives about 1/3rd less hits in A26.

this is true, but acceleration makes a different engagement type much more impactful for spearcav vs skirmcav:

In the case that javelin cavalry are intercepted by spearcav (need to change directions to run away), they have a much harder time escaping. With the larger counter to cavalry, I don't expect spearcav to be losing to javelin cav.

9 minutes ago, real_tabasco_sauce said:

this is true, but acceleration makes a different engagement type much more impactful for spearcav vs skirmcav:

In the case that javelin cavalry are intercepted by spearcav (need to change directions to run away), they have a much harder time escaping. With the larger counter to cavalry, I don't expect spearcav to be losing to javelin cav.

I think you are right in the fact that a single test does not provide a clear imange on what to expect.

So I ran some tests again.  If 1 sword cavalry chases 1 javelin cavalry over the length of 12 long spartan wall pices, then we have the result I meantioned earlier

38 minutes ago, LetswaveaBook said:

In A26, the javelin cavalry receives after the first hit 7 more hits while being chased over a set distance.

The javelin cavalry is left with 63 HP.

If 24 sword cavalry chase 12 javelin cavalry, then along the same distance only, I lost only 1 javelin cavalry and the remaining group had about 900 HP left.

So acceleration has the potential to really troll engagements.

I continued some testing and I tried to move 12 javelin cavalry past 24 spear cavalry and ran over the length of 12 long spartan wall pieces. I lost 3 javelin cavalry and 3 more were heavily damaged, while the remaining 6 units had very little damage.

I tried the same scenario in A25 and I would be left with only 4 javelin cavalry.

So I tend to think spear cavalry aren't very good at chasing down the slower javelin cavalry in A26.

Edited by LetswaveaBook

54 minutes ago, LetswaveaBook said:

I continued some testing and I tried to move 12 javelin cavalry past 24 spear cavalry and ran over the length of 12 long spartan wall pieces. I lost 3 javelin cavalry and 3 more were heavily damaged, while the remaining 6 units had very little damage.

I tried the same scenario in A25 and I would be left with only 4 javelin cavalry.

So I tend to think spear cavalry aren't very good at chasing down the slower javelin cavalry in A26.

It's not a massive difference to be honest.

Like I said earlier, there are also instances where acceleration improves the spearcav's effectiveness.

Hi Stand, I am building maps base on Geographic areas and Historical settings and I am working on a few more beside the one I sent to you, for testing. My version of the alpha  24, that I got me  two years ago. Will this version handle the maps I am making for 24 in the new alpha 26.? Thanks.

Edited by Belisarius17

8 hours ago, real_tabasco_sauce said:

It's not a massive difference to be honest.

I thought in this example the difference in units lost is a factor 2.

8 hours ago, real_tabasco_sauce said:

Like I said earlier, there are also instances where acceleration improves the spearcav's effectiveness.

I don't want to be sarcastic, but do these situations really exist or is it wishful thinking?

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, LetswaveaBook said:

I don't want to be sarcastic, but do these situations really exist or is it wishful thinking?

Ex.

my javelin cav --->    <---enemy spear cav

oops, my jav cav must now turn 180 degrees, while the spear cav do not need to accelerate at all.

In a25, actively chasing enemy cavalry doesn't usually get you very many kills anyway (often the retreating cav find reinforcments, allies, or buildings, etc) Instead it is when you catch them off guard, or take a shortcut to get in front.

So... I don't expect this difference you point out to effect gameplay all that much, although with more gameplay testing I am sure we will get a better idea.

Edited by real_tabasco_sauce

6 minutes ago, real_tabasco_sauce said:

my javelin cav --->    <---enemy spear cav

oops, my jav cav must now turn 180 degrees, while the spear cav do not need to accelerate at all.

This is exactly one situations I tested.

Okay, the javelin cavalry need to turn and accelerate.  So it is more difficult to avoid the first hit. The spear cavalry get 1 hit and then stop. But this is only the first hit. After that, the javelin cavalry have moved and it is the turn for the spear cavalry to accelerate. So it works in both ways.

8 minutes ago, real_tabasco_sauce said:

n a25, actively chasing enemy cavalry doesn't usually get you very many kills anyway (often the retreating cav find reinforcments, allies, or buildings, etc)

My assumption is that in A26 it will get you even less kills.

According to https://german.stackexchange.com/questions/211/is-it-still-good-form-to-use-a-capital-d-for-du-or-dir-in-a-letter  "du" is lower case since 1996, in 2006 it was allowed again to write it upper case for the sake of formal speech. That said, a formal "du" while there is "Sie" sounds very strange and begs the question if there is a sensible use case in the first place. Also formal speech in games probably isn't the norm.

Either way as @Obelix said, consistency is a must.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, hyperion said:

That said, a formal "du" while there is "Sie" sounds very strange and begs the question if there is a sensible use case in the first place.

Du is never formal, and like most of the people from your source I agree that capitalizing it just seems more polite.

I play in English, so I just leave it up to the German maintainer(s). :)

• maroder unpinned this topic
  • Stan` unfeatured this topic