Alpha 26 Pre-release/Release Candidate Build Testing

10 hours ago, Gurken Khan said:

Yeah, no. I hereby petition rice to count as vegetarian! ;)

https://trac.wildfiregames.com/changeset/26931

10 hours ago, Gurken Khan said:

Very nice that aggressive healers don't flee anymore! :thumbsup:  Thx again @Freagarach

You're welcome!

7 hours ago, Gurken Khan said:

nobody seemed to care...

Or it isn't as easy to fix,,,

I still think it's hideous how the numbers are cut off in the stats. I intentionally posted the whole screen shot to illustrate how much space there is to the side and the bottom. No chance to make the columns or rows flexible? And I still find it ridiculous to not round the numbers. Do we really need positions after the decimal point? And if so, do we really need more than one or two? The number for my used wood is cut off on two sides. Why chose a format to present numbers where said numbers aren't presented properly?

Aye, it is ugly and we could use the same abbreviations as in the top panel. But I guess the issue is workforce.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Sevda said:

In my opionion, having both the chariot and the cav archer is fine. It doesn't hurt your gameplay or balance, meanwhile it keeps singleplayers and noobs entertained. Furthermore, it helps with the 'civ differentiation' argument. 

In the future we can give some additional features to the chariots, for example, tramping enemy soldiers, slashing units close to it. 

Redundant units are pointless. Why not just make them different. We could pretty easily adjust the stats so they aren't exactly the same. 

As for two options, (1) make chariots quicker but weaker; and/or (2) make chariots stronger but more expensive. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, chrstgtr said:

r (2) make chariots stronger but more expensive. 

Instead of simply buffing their health, a neat way to reflect on the scythes used is to add an area damage to any unit in close proximity. I am suggesting a nerfed version of the Wei Qing hero, who already does this. 

In the mean time, we can double the food cost (to account for 2 crews and 2 horses) and decrease their turn rate to reflect their lack of agility compared to a single cavalry. 

Furthermore, since there is a dedicated pilot, the other crew is always free to shoot arrows. Therefore we can implement a turret mechanic: being able to shoot while moving, although not very accurately. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Sevda said:

Furthermore, since there is a dedicated pilot, the other crew is always free to shoot arrows. Therefore we can implement a turret mechanic: being able to shoot while moving, although not very accurately. 

Sounds cool, but likely OP. 

22 minutes ago, Sevda said:

Instead of simply buffing their health, a neat way to reflect on the scythes used is to add an area damage to any unit in close proximity. I am suggesting a nerfed version of the Wei Qing hero, who already does this. 

Sure. I just want something that isn't redundant. I'm open to other suggestions. 

Edited by chrstgtr

1 hour ago, Fabius said:

Siege tower can already move and fire, and that's way more devastating than a simple guy in a chariot with a bow. 

This has actually been determined to be op. There was a test of a mod that gave building AI to ranged units and it was really bad. Even a more balanced version might be super busted against infantry. I would probably say 1/3 fire rate 1/3 accuracy while firing and moving, I admit it’s a cool feature but we want to add good gameplay mechanics and not frustration. 

Edited by BreakfastBurrito_007

3 hours ago, Fabius said:

Siege tower can already move and fire, and that's way more devastating than a simple guy in a chariot with a bow. 

Siege towers are slow, and require a lot of garrisoned units, and deal low dps/unit. Even with those limitations, they have been OP in the past. What I responded to would be not have any of those limitations. 

On 08/06/2022 at 11:05 PM, Obelix said:

German language sometime tends to let speakers create very long sentences ... the tool tip on the upper right corner needs to get more space (or the translation needs to get shorter).

The build date in the left corner on the bottom seems to be incorrect (25.05.2022), guessing it must have been in the very last days.

screenshot0005.thumb.png.9acf367d6017b3e0c42fbf298f350680.png

Following my checks from Wednesday, I went on searching for more cut or overlapped texts.

1) Replay menu:

a) In the upper right corner is one overlapping text, probably "filter compatible replays" in English, for which its box needs more space if text is too long.

b) the third drop-down menu also needs to be enlarged, cause the text is cut in the "preview" - or the text automatically shortened with U+2026 HORIZONTAL ELLIPSIS

Inkedscreenshot0007_LI.thumb.jpg.bc512e7ac2ca3c9c8c67a21fade99731.jpg

screenshot0008.png.ed4852b648294a6dcf630dd57870bc00.png

2) Descriptions in the single player menu:

a) The descenders of the letters in line two of the description area on the bottom are cut. You might see it at the g descender of "geöffnete" and "geöffnet".

screenshot0011.thumb.png.73d7de0a3de468825ad97b1470bb30ba.png

b) Cut description of the civilizations Han and Kush after two lines in the description area on the buttom. Description box needs more space.

screenshot0009.thumb.png.49e3de0e773a6397a86b6832fd22353a.png

screenshot0010.thumb.png.f4cf1567dcf3293bb0cfcc359485f01e.png

13 minutes ago, Obelix said:

Following my checks from Wednesday, I went on searching for more cut or overlapped texts

the main menu problem is fixed -> https://code.wildfiregames.com/rP26935

but unfortunately I think we will not be able to fix all of the other problems as well. As long as the minimal supported resolution is 1024x768 we can't just enlarge all elements and we haven't enough people working on the GUI to make everything adaptive.

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Obelix said:

If there is no server listed in the Lobby, the "Join game" button is weirdly grey and crossed. Is this supposed to be so?

When I saw it I assumed it to be a feature...

9 minutes ago, maroder said:

but unfortunately I think we will not be able to fix all of the other problems as well. As long as the minimal supported resolution is 1024x768 we can't just enlarge all elements and we haven't enough people working on the GUI to make everything adaptive.

Would it be hard to animate the text? I'm thinking like text boxes in XCOM2, where if a text doesn't fit into a box it would slowly scroll and after it hits the bottom it would jump to the top again.

Would it be hard to animate the text?

I believe that would indeed be a bit tricky. The best solution would be to have different sizes depending on the screen resolution of the user (or a redesign of the menus), but it takes just very long time to change everything and everyone is busy with other work.

16 minutes ago, Sevda said:

However, there is an issue: I became a 1200 player in A26; all of my previous points were left behind in A25. 

The ratings will be migrated once A26 gets released. The dev version of 0ad always uses a separate ratings database as the server-side lobby code (and possible the database structure) differs from version to version and might break something for the currently released version.

• Like 1

• maroder unpinned this topic
  • Stan` unfeatured this topic