Alpha 26 Pre-release/Release Candidate Build Testing

10 hours ago, maroder said:

That's because of the update it can do. the defensive CC is bigger and to avoid it clipping other buildings after being updated, the standard version needs to have a larger footprint as well

İn that case I would recommend filling the extra space with something, for example paved ground or lamps, so that players know that this seemingly blank area is still ar part of the cc

• Like 2

7 hours ago, BreakfastBurrito_007 said:

catapults have been buffed and so have spear cav. Keep in mind that new features are not the only way to improve a civ, and seemingly unrelated balance changes may open up many more gameplay opportunities for that civ. 

In hindsight after some play testing I did realize I had overlooked this, I reached just over 700 damage on those catapults using full tech and Scipio, great for anti ram turtling at any rate :) That being said Rome still feels sparse in options compared to say Athens which now has a second age champion, or Gauls which have had fanatics for a while and the best current cavalry in the game. It was discussed elsewhere about putting the army camp in second phase and it would be nice to have something to use in second age.

Just now, Fabius said:

In hindsight after some play testing I did realize I had overlooked this, I reached just over 700 damage on those catapults using full tech and Scipio, great for anti ram turtling at any rate :) That being said Rome still feels sparse in options compared to say Athens which now has a second age champion, or Gauls which have had fanatics for a while and the best current cavalry in the game. It was discussed elsewhere about putting the army camp in second phase and it would be nice to have something to use in second age.

I would argue that Romans are still a very strong civ now, due to their entrenched camps, champions and the combat related heroes. On top of that, their infantry have a -10% train time bonus which is invaluable. 

Their weakness is lack of slingers and archers - not able to fight at long range, although you can mitigate it by using boltshooters. The same applies for Spartans. 

13 hours ago, Fabius said:

Secondly the Persian champion cavalry archer, a nice addition, however identical to to the champion chariot in stats and also unlocked along with the champion cavalry. Persian chariots are now a redundant unit and will never see play again unless for pure aesthetic reasons.

I agree. Sorry, devs, but thats bad game design. At the other hand its good that unlocking spear cav champs also unlocks archer cav champs.

And thirdly, and more personally, the Roman civ overview is a pathetic far cry from  A23, three alphas and Rome has received nothing new in that time period, just a significant loss of unique features and a few returned features. Far as I am concerned Rome has been the harshest treated civ out of everything. At least give the Roman players something please. 

Disagree. Army camps cost less metal and train rank 2 units. Unlocking champions is cheaper now and allows Rome to be quite a force with its cavalry champions.

Also fourthly, Han is good, I like the clear effort to give it lots of interesting features, It does make me depressed that other civs are not as differentiated though.

Try to cure your depressed mood with mods? Lol

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Player of 0AD said:

Disagree. Army camps cost less metal and train rank 2 units. Unlocking champions is cheaper now and allows Rome to be quite a force with its cavalry champions.

The cost of the camp isn't the issue, the problem is third age and has to be built somewhere outside your own territory. All that effort for rank 2 infantry that only ever gets measured in how well it can take hits. I agree on the champion side of things. The hero roster and consular guard have always been a strong point. It is just very funny that Republican Rome is playing like Late Rome rather than early Rome ;) 

10 minutes ago, Player of 0AD said:

Try to cure your depressed mood with mods? Lol

Like Delende Est, true, and then I wish to see some of its features in the main game lol. Best Roman experience ever though :) 

21 hours ago, Gurken Khan said:

Do we have a string freeze? Didn't see anything about it. Anyway:

0ad-hull.jpg.114c98f02b6114584b9c40a7acd2a646.jpg

Seems like 'hull' is the only non-capitalized word in techs; for consistency's sake I think it should be changed.

21 hours ago, Gurken Khan said:

The 'ta' in 'Shao ta' should also get a capital letter, like the 'Ta' in 'Fangyu Ta'.

https://trac.wildfiregames.com/changeset/26928

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Player of 0AD said:
15 hours ago, Fabius said:

Secondly the Persian champion cavalry archer, a nice addition, however identical to to the champion chariot in stats and also unlocked along with the champion cavalry. Persian chariots are now a redundant unit and will never see play again unless for pure aesthetic reasons.

I agree. Sorry, devs, but thats bad game design. At the other hand its good that unlocking spear cav champs also unlocks archer cav champs.

so what should we change? easiest thing would be to remove one of the units.

3 hours ago, Fabius said:

The cost of the camp isn't the issue, the problem is third age and has to be built somewhere outside your own territory. All that effort for rank 2 infantry that only ever gets measured in how well it can take hits.

The spearmen are as durable as rank 1 pikemen (if you use sparta team bonus and armor hero). The rank 2 units also rise rather quickly to rank 3 which makes them even more tanky. I remember that the costs of the army camp had been an issue in A23. That you can build it in hostile and neutral territory is also a big advantage.

3 hours ago, Fabius said:

Like Delende Est, true, and then I wish to see some of its features in the main game lol.

And I wish that we wont see them

43 minutes ago, maroder said:

so what should we change? easiest thing would be to remove one of the units.

Yes, maybe remove one of the units. But in a way that only one unlock tech is needed. Seleucids need 2 unlock techs too, maybe that could be changed as well.

@Player of 0AD my main failing for those army camps is forgetting to train from them lol. Those rank 2 units are overlooked by many players in a25 and they will probably be more useful in a26 with those camp changes.

As for balance issues in a26 my main concern are the Han and also merc cav. When I have time this weekend I would love to join a testing session in multiplayer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In my opionion, having both the chariot and the cav archer is fine. It doesn't hurt your gameplay or balance, meanwhile it keeps singleplayers and noobs entertained. Furthermore, it helps with the 'civ differentiation' argument. 

In the future we can give some additional features to the chariots, for example, tramping enemy soldiers, slashing units close to it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Player of 0AD said:

The spearmen are as durable as rank 1 pikemen (if you use sparta team bonus and armor hero). The rank 2 units also rise rather quickly to rank 3 which makes them even more tanky. I remember that the costs of the army camp had been an issue in A23. That you can build it in hostile and neutral territory is also a big advantage.

Fair point, but it would be nice if we could utilize them earlier in the game or easier. Either seems reasonable. Either second age camp or allow the camp to be built on own territory as well as neutral/enemy. 

2 hours ago, BreakfastBurrito_007 said:

my main failing for those army camps is forgetting to train from them lol. Those rank 2 units are overlooked by many players in a25 and they will probably be more useful in a26 with those camp changes

Did I miss something, there haven't been any confirmed changes to camps for A26 yet?

2 hours ago, BreakfastBurrito_007 said:

As for balance issues in a26 my main concern are the Han and also merc cav.

Han is going to an interesting space to watch, the stacked international trade bonus with Carthage is madness, plus the unique tech for silk roads. total 50% extra trade bonus lol.

0ad-esgibtreisbaby.jpg.38c91c23570631bb0b36310b149c5bbc.jpg

Yeah, no. I hereby petition rice to count as vegetarian! ;)

2 minutes ago, Fabius said:

Either second age camp or allow the camp to be built on own territory as well as neutral/enemy. 

Is there any reasoning why it can't be build in either? Balance?

Very nice that aggressive healers don't flee anymore! :thumbsup:  Thx again @Freagarach

4 minutes ago, Gurken Khan said:

Is there any reasoning why it can't be build in either? Balance?

The only reason I remember was that it made for to strong of a kill zone with civic center and fortress and towers all in one space. Quite frankly the easy solution would be to say it must be a certain distance away from your civic center. Or simply accept that as a side affect.

Just now, Fabius said:

The only reason I remember was that it made for to strong of a kill zone with civic center and fortress and towers all in one space. Quite frankly the easy solution would be to say it must be a certain distance away from your civic center. Or simply accept that as a side affect.

Occasionally in A23 I would outright delete my civic center after third phase, place camps and then rebuild it again.

• Confused 1

Overall I enjoyed my first game in A26, pretty smooth. However...

0ad-borderspear.jpg.d371ed975f689e649e05c5af35dc555c.jpg

There's still this abhorrent glitch where some renegade border mark can go airborne. I reported it a few versions back, nobody seemed to care...

0ad-a26-1end.thumb.png.c4324d58c585b996e6fbd22dd2aa46c3.png

I liked the golden laurels better, but oh well.

I still think it's hideous how the numbers are cut off in the stats. I intentionally posted the whole screen shot to illustrate how much space there is to the side and the bottom. No chance to make the columns or rows flexible? And I still find it ridiculous to not round the numbers. Do we really need positions after the decimal point? And if so, do we really need more than one or two? The number for my used wood is cut off on two sides. Why chose a format to present numbers where said numbers aren't presented properly?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• maroder unpinned this topic
  • Stan` unfeatured this topic