Traders do not work

zupur

I played multiplayer with my friend last night. After I finished the pigeon upgrade, I could see the market of my ally (my friend) and I sent out two traders immediately, thinking this would be like in AoE2 and the traders would bring back resources but they simply stayed outside the allied market, didn’t have any intent in filling they cart nor going back to my base. I have watched the guide video and trader works fine in video. Was I doing wrong?

@zupur My guess is you didn't properly establish the trade route. Both markets have to be completely built before sending your traders.

Look at the tool tips. If you select your market and then right click on your ally's market, make sure the income is shown; then traders produced should properly work the route. When you select your traders you have to mark the two end points by right clicking on them; make sure the first time it says 'home market' and 'destination market' the second time. You can also assign them new routes this way, for example if you have another market or a port further away (longer routes are more profitable).