Automute in lobby is purely a useless nuisance with zero benefits

vinme

everyone knows not to say the xyz words, changing 1 letter easily prevents mute, so nothing is actually being censored.

its always a typo that causes the mute, or forgeting to self censor, almost never som1 who is insulting people.

like i tried writing "count", mistyped "o@#$%" and it muted me, mute lasts for too long  as well.

its already a pain trying to join games 100 times for it to work, when getting muted its even more tiresome.

• Like 1

on the internet, saying "i ate a @#$% meal" or somethign shouldnt be banable offense, if it is then there have to be mods who review the bans, and thats tiresome and costly for no reason. 
better question to as is, what does this muting provide? what value does it bring? 
and the answer is, absolutely none, its simply a nuisance.

i understand banning ppl who spam, threaten others but those never get banned, but i say "o@#$%" instead of count and i cant properly organize games for 2 days.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, vinme said:

i understand banning ppl who spam, threaten others but those never get banned

Au contraire. Report them and they'll get muted or banned. Trashy spammed the lobby, was reported, got muted. Demitritool threatened one more more other players, was reported, got muted and later duplicate accounts of his got banned.

For reference:

Report of Trashy doing lobby spam
https://wildfiregames.com/forum/topic/79511-report-of-trashy-doing-lobby-spam/

DemitriTool being profane and personally offensive
https://wildfiregames.com/forum/topic/62643-potentially-offensive-room-name-that-also-impersonates-my-name/

So far, in my experience, reporting users has had 100% rate of effectiveness for punishment, and within a few hours or days. vinme, if you care so much about this issue, please report users who are breaking rules.

• Like 1

As for the issue of auto-muting due to profanity in the lobby, I would suggest a light or no punishment at the first occurrence, then gradually increasing severity of punishment. That way, if a person has a typo that produces a swearword then it will be rare enough that they won't even notice the profanity filter.

At the same time, there will be players who will abuse this, I'm sure, since it's so easy to create new fake accounts. So, if you want the auto-mute punishment to be decreased then it probably requires increasing the barrier to entry for new accounts.

Edit: Looking at Sevda's screenshots, it appears that initial punishment is a simple kick, not a mute or ban of any duration. I think that the repeat offenders are the ones who get the mutes or bans.

Edited by Norse_Harold
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Norse_Harold said:

As for the issue of auto-muting due to profanity in the lobby, I would suggest a light or no punishment at the first occurrence, then gradually increasing severity of punishment. That way, if a person has a typo that produces a swearword then it will be rare enough that they won't even notice the profanity filter.

I totally agree with this.

But, instead of a bot randomly muting people,  we should add an auto-report button, where if a player feels insulted, they can click on the button and report the offending player to the moderator directly. This will solve vinme's problem and more people can resolve their arguments instead of  suffering in silence. Most other modern games that I have played contain this button so I think 0ad deserves one as well.