Standarized Testing

Have you had it already this year?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Have you had it already this year?

• Yea
    • Naa
    • I'm done with all teh school stuff, fo'

It's the weak of Standarized Testing with week. You know, the ones where you do a zillion questions that are all opinionated. :P

So far at school we've done the Language Arts section, the Math section, and the sciences and the NCLB sciences (no child left behind). Tomorrow will be the social sciences and that will be it!

As a little idea the school had, they will be giving away 3 ipods to students that get a raffle ticket for doing "hard, good work" on the tests. Basically that means not drawing little designs with the bubbles.

Anyone else had the pleasure to partake in these? B)

Yes, a few weeks back we had our school sponsored ACT day and "Prarie State" (-Illinois, btw) achievement tests. I scored well on the school-sponsored ACT, and as for the Prarie State tests (which are somehow integrated into NCLB, I don't know if we will ever see grades for those.

So yes, I have also shared the pleasure B)

Wow, that's very impressive Michael. (y)

I guess then that the tests are a states kind of thing. Basically it is a bunch of multiple choice tests on different subjects that the state gives you, and it ranks you, it can determine your classes for next year, lets the school know how well or bad you did, compare schools, earn extra money for schools, ect. It's a test to see what you've learned.

Well... and this is weird how these things happen, but one year I remember I got the #1 score on 8 out of 10 categories. Two other students got #1 in the other 2 categories, and I ended up something like 3rd or 4th in my grade. LOL... But as the years wore on I started to do worse and worse on tests. I am an aural-learner in the sense that I can soak up information through lecture and especially through discussion and then spit it all back out on tests. That method of learning becomes less and less viable as one's education career goes on. School tends to favor one form of learning over another as the years go on.

SATs are funny, Quaker. I thought I kicked all sorts of @#$% in the Math section, but it ended up I nearly maxed out the English section instead of the Math section. I got nearly an 800/800 in the English section, coming up with only something like 400/800 in the Math section. LOL! Now, these were the days of the 1600 exam (I think the scale has been changed or soon will be) and NO pre-written math formula cheat sheets.

I'm lucky, I live in a country were SATs do not exist (y) We do take standardized tests, Provincial Exams which make up 40% of your final grade, but that is the closest it comes.

Plus your provincial exam mark plays no major role in your university acceptance process, unless of course you badly bombed and lowered your overall grade.

No such tests in Germany, either. I don't think that they are a particulary bad idea, though - many people over here get through the education system by not doing anything for school and just getting their low-average marks until they finally reach the last two years, where everything counts for the graduation. Then, they realize that they need to know the old stuff and have lots and lots to learn - and might get a worse final exam result than they could have had. If they were "forced" to work harder all the time by such tests - where performing well gives them advantages, probably more students would care more about their study results. Those are just some random thoughts, though, since I don't know the exact role and procedure of those tests.

State standardized testing has always been a big waste of time for students; it is only for grading the school after all. As for the SAT I consider it one of the neccessary boredoms to get into college.

My marks on standarized tests have been very strong all around, usually 90th+ percentile. I got 760 on (new)SAT math, but my writing score left a lot to be desired. Luckily many colleges are not taking into account or lessening the effect that a bad SAT I writing section will have your overall admittance

• 1 month later...