Will there be more...

Argalius

Could you give a tip about the kind of articles you'd like to see? B) Community feedback would help give us some direction into what subjects you'd like us to write about.

We had something about the 3D background, so maybe another section of the development would be nice, music maybe?

Anyone interested in design and conceptual ideas for the editor and what it took to compile the 60 page (18,000 words) techincal design document for the Atlas [scenario] Editor? It talks (or will talk B)) about what we have planned for design, what goals we want to meet, what the community (and ourselve) look for in an editor package, etc... Although I dunno, with nothing much to show besides ideas and concepts it might be boring (and probably will be for most). Unless you guys don't think so? I started abit of it a long time ago and kinda dropped it...

Or would you be interested in the design and implimentation/goal aspects of terrain or the natural art in 0AD - or the same for the Buildings - this time there'll be plenty of pictures to show... I'd like to make a few articles like that but have been waiting for some free time to do so. It depends on how interested the public would be.

I think it would be kinda cool for our fans. I mean we're kinda cracking down on releasing new screenshots since everything is so beta now and is/will be redone by a year from now. That and we want to concentrate on making gameplay work rather than showing some fancy new art every now and then (but then, thats all we had a year ago - so things are much different now)

Well theres concept images I made to demonstrate stuff [though recently we changed plans and Atlas won't look like the concepts]- I guess I'll go for it. If it sucks I'll just send it to you personally B) - but most likely it'll have some pretty neat stuff, I mean I wouldn't want to make a boring text book article, it won't be like that.

Or actually...tell me this - would something like this or this be interesting? (and why we're doing things like that/ what kind of power we think it'll have - though this is 100% likely to change and likely won't be the editor in the final game, but it atleast shows what we're aiming for)

Something like those "this or this" are very good. And eventhough things have changed, I think the basic of Atlas haven't so I think you can talk about that anyway. And even if some ideas went off the table I think it still is pretty good to talk about, you could even explain why you replaced/skipped them.

The main problem with showing details of the Atlas design (like the concept images) is that someone has to actually implement it all, and will probably want to change things around and remove the difficult parts, and then everyone will complain about missing the features that they were expecting :P

Still, I think it would be nice to have explanations of the thought processes that have gone into the design of the game (rather than just detailing the design itself), as you suggested; though I'm not sure how to do that without going into at least a few details, and almost everything is subject to change in the future, so it'll be hard to avoid giving misinformation... But I would be interested in reading such things, so maybe it's worthwhile anyway B)

Well you can always put a disclaimer at the top, so people have no reason to start whining (sp?) if a feature isn't included.

But Ykkrosh, what do you mean with implement it all? It is supposed to be implented anyway... or am I missing something?

He means that we intend to impliment it but who knows if we'll have the manpower or time to do so, or if we'll even be capable of it.

Well you can always put a disclaimer at the top, so people have no reason to start whining (sp?) if a feature isn't included.

But then thats just bad PR, why hype people about something we may or may not include (y)

Anyway, to conclude and to stop dragging this discussion - I'll talk about some art techniques and styles and why we have them, what the direction of some of the art in the game is etc - and possibly have an article on the basic design ideas behind our editor. Expect those 1-3 months from now depending on when I'll have time to do them. Also, I'm sure other team members are planning to write some dev articles themselves but might be waiting for the inspiration or public interest to do so... :)