Advice for improving historical and cultural accuracy regarding the Han Chinese faction

Mini Baker

I  am really a fan of this game in that this program is spectacular. Nevertheless, while playing the faction Han Chinese, despite the fact that overall it is great, I noticed  some flaws, about which the texts on the buildings, such as the civic center and etc., do not match their historical and cultural context. To be specific, the Chinese characters on the plaque of the civic center are traditional Chinese characters of ‘殿寶雄大’ ( they are written in ancient Chinese language different from Mandarin Chinese,ancient Chinese language were written from right to left or downwards). These characters on the plaque, which are related to buddism, can be seen on ancient  Chinese temple (Since I come from China, I have seen them with my own eyes on a temple).  Yet, in the game, they were inscribed on a civic center, which do not match the reality. It looked a little bit not harmonious when I looked closely. Moreover, I also noticed that these identical characters'‘殿寶雄大’ are also on the plaque of the building infantry barrack.

In Mandarin, 大雄宝殿 means the Great Treasure Hall.

Really looking forward for the Alpha26 version of the game!

Infantry Barracks.png

civic center.png

plaque in the game.png

Edited by Mini Baker
  • Like 3

At present, the special buildings of the Han Dynasty are also against historical facts. What I mean is that the Han Dynasty may not need special buildings at all. The training of officials and related technologies can be placed in CC, and the champion soldiers can be placed in stables and barracks.

4 小时前,斯坦` 说过:

有人可以给我发送正确字体的汉文,以便我可以替换标志吗?

我觉得有趣的是,有些人总是想要更多的建筑物,而有些人总是想要更少……

Another point, the stone beasts outside the door are a kind of decoration that appeared very late, and the Han Dynasty did not have them.

18 minutes ago, AIEND said:

Another point, the stone beasts outside the door are a kind of decoration that appeared very late, and the Han Dynasty did not have them.

We made them more historically accurate so I'm not removing them. It would make the buildings look much worse.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

• 5 months later...

I see, the Han is still in progress.

In Han dynasty, the standard script is the “cleric script” (隸書). It is also seen in Total War: Three Kingdoms. You can download the font on the website of Ministry of Education, Republic of China: https://language.moe.gov.tw/result.aspx?classify_sn=23&subclassify_sn=436&content_sn=49

The text “漢” on the banners on the gate, the imperial academy, etc. is in “small seal script” (小篆), which is the standard script in Qin dynasty. It is seen in the beta versions of Total War: Three Kingdoms.

“大雄寶殿” means “Mahavira Hall”, which is found at Buddhist temples only, as there is no Jainist temple in China.

As for the plates with text, seen at civic centers, barracks, imperial academy, wonder, etc., their first appearance is in Song dynasty (later part of Millennium A.D.), being called “pái 牌” in 《營造法式》. They are called “biǎn’é 匾額” now.

The two animals at the civic center are called “píxiū 貔貅”, which are found at imperial tombs as guardians.

The banner of rally point is not Chinese. According to 《史記·高祖本紀》 “祠黃帝,祭蚩尤於沛庭,而釁鼓旗,幟皆赤。由所殺蛇白帝子,殺者赤帝子,故上赤。” and  《史記·孝武本紀》, “夏,漢改歷,以正月為歲首,而色上黃,官名更印章以五字。”, the banner is red during Hán Xìn and Liú Bāng's period, yellow during Wèi Qīng's period, probably with “漢” on it. The shields on battering rams are foreign, too.

The term of temple “Sìmiào 寺庙” is used for Buddhism, while the actual temple in game is Daoist. It should be called “Guàn 觀”. The temples were not a place to provide medical assistance. There used to be some temporary official hospitals. The notion of combining religious building and hospital did not suit China.

The current translation of “Imperial Academy” is modern. In Han dynasty, the imperial academy is called “Tài Xué 太學”, which was located in Chang’an. 太學 and lower-level official schools are called “Guān Xué 官學”. In these academies, only philosophy and arts are taught, which does not correspond to that military one in game.

There is a “Bǎolěi” in the game. In history, it is called “Wù Bǎo 塢堡” and was not popular until Sixteen States period.

Some strings are still foreign, like animal names in the corral.

Edited by GrimPixel