Why don't groups of Sparabaras greet me?

Gurken Khan

Whenever a unit or units are selected, they acknowledge it: 'Yes?' (Or whatever they say.) The only exception seems to be groups of Sparabaras; single Sparabara: 'xxx', mixed groups: 'xxx', group with only Sparabaras: nothing. I find that very irritating. Always had to double check I had them actually selected. (Didn't check if other civs' spearmen behave the same.)

savegame-0829.0adsave

Example: if you select my control group 2 (mixed): 'xxx', if you select 8 (only Sparabaras): nothing.

Edited by Gurken Khan
rarara

• Gurken Khan changed the title to Why don't groups of Sparabaras greet me?

When you select a group of units, the UI chooses a "primary" unit to determine a few things, such as sounds. I think the primary unit in a selection is determined by "Entity uid". While this isn't ideal to say the least (IMHO, it should go by preferred class, so Hero->Champion->etc.), it's probably efficient. Unfortunately, in this case if the unit with a lowest uid in the selection doesn't have acknowledgement sounds then you won't hear anything. 

30 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Unfortunately, in this case if the unit with a lowest uid in the selection doesn't have acknowledgement sounds then you won't hear anything. 

Thanks for the explanation, but single Sparas acknowledged normally, so I guess that can't be the reason. Also what I get from @Freagarach and @maroder is that for them those groups also said something.

I just went back to my 00:00 save of that game, made a group of the starting Sparas and when selected, they acknowledged. I opened the save I uploaded, but my group 8 still remains silent.

Spoiler

8 is my 'tower guys'. The only unit I lost in that game was one of them (when trying to shift them over during an attack). Since they acknowledged attack orders they have not taken a vow of complete silence, just deny to salute me. Naturally I killed them for that insubordination. (Re-opened that save again just to do that...)

10 hours ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

When you select a group of units, the UI chooses a "primary" unit to determine a few things, such as sounds. I think the primary unit in a selection is determined by "Entity uid". While this isn't ideal to say the least (IMHO, it should go by preferred class, so Hero->Champion->etc.), it's probably efficient. Unfortunately, in this case if the unit with a lowest uid in the selection doesn't have acknowledgement sounds then you won't hear anything. 

https://code.wildfiregames.com/D2059

9 hours ago, Gurken Khan said:
  Hide contents

8 is my 'tower guys'. The only unit I lost in that game was one of them (when trying to shift them over during an attack). Since they acknowledged attack orders they have not taken a vow of complete silence, just deny to salute me. Naturally I killed them for that insubordination. (Re-opened that save again just to do that...)

Thanks for that little info, might it be the case that one of those groups is still garrisoned? (The one with the first entity ID.) For I just tested that and that explains the silence. Well, they'll be silent forever now, in your saved match,,,

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Freagarach said:

Thanks for that little info, might it be the case that one of those groups is still garrisoned? (The one with the first entity ID.)

Yes! I checked and I forgot to release one guy from a captured fortress. (For if I'm past my towers, my 8 is responsible for securing captured buildings.) I let him out and the group salutes again!

I still would like my group to acknowledge me even if one member is garrisoned. I have no idea about this 'first entity ID', but I guess it's a technical necessity? And the silence was like a lottery 'win' because I garrisoned that exact 'first entity ID' guy?