The Pope is dead ...

(;)

I thought somebody would post a thread about this, but nobody did.

Although I know most of WFG is either atheist or protestant, I thought this was quite relevant since the Pope is quite an important person in the Christian World.

Now, as we say in France:

The Pope is dead, Let's rejoice for the new Pope!

Yes I was wondering why no one hadn't brought it up yet, was going to myself if no one else did. IMHO John Paul II was a good man and did good work in his time on earth, setting a huge example for all of us to follow. I greatly repect the guy, and I'm not Catholic.

I am looking forward to watching the selection of a new pope ;)

Yup John Paul II was a man to model your life after. I think he was so cool of a guy. Apparently, although he seemed very serious oftentimes, he had a good sense of humor. I am the most pleased with his effort to reconcile different types of people, whether it be Catholics with the world, or Catholics with other religions, or different nations. I really can't say enough good about him.

Now it should be interesting to see who's next pope. If people thought he was conservative, they should see some of the cardinals. Ah well, I pray whoever it is does as great a job as John Paul 2.

He came to Southern California in 1998 I believe. ;)

Also today in class we talked about the Pope and how someone with no military, police can infulence over a billion people throughout the world in hundreds of countries.

Is this true?: that the electing group's food gets worse and worse ever day? Someone said that on the first day of voting they get great food, and then day after day it gets worse. Humm.

(;)

Well, they obviously can't say that the previous Popes were wrong ... the Pope is the person who is direct link with God and Jesus ... ;) ... he is supposed to be right after Jesus, so he can't take a wrong decision ... in practice, Popes say the contrary of what has been said previously, but they say it in a manner that makes you think they never contradict with previous ones ;)

Yes, there's that great enigmatic papal infallibility, which many come to take to mean the Pope does not sin, or cannot make a mistake, or cannot misjudge something or even disagree in opinion with prior popes. Infallibility instead refers to official teachings on morals and faith, not to things like judgements or decisions on how to run the church. Certainly, the pope is still a sinner. In fact, I heard that John Paul II confessed every week!

Just for the record, the modern church heirarchy looks a bit like this:

Pope

Cardinals

Bishops and Archbishops

Priests

Deacons

Lay people

Since I don't keep track of the Catholic world (or be a religious person for that matter), I don't have much to say. Therefore I can't really appreciate all that John Paul II has done (nothing aganist him though), accept that he was the only Pope I've ever known that lived in my lifetime. It will be some time before I get used to someone else as the Pope.

LOL, Quacker I know where you're going with this.  Save it for HoI or PM.

In other news, I wonder who will be the next pope.

No no no, don't get me wrong, lol...although I can see that it would be easy to catch that from my post. I was just curious who got the priveledge, nothing more. I promise ;)