==[TASK]== Handheld Battering Ram

The problem with the bribe mechanic is that it was implemented and then boom, no one worked on making it more interesting. There were some minor tweaks, sure. But any further design work on the feature died due to disagreements. For instance, I'd expand it to include all support and citizen soldier units and then give it some kind of cool down time between bribes, or make the cost of bribing increase exponentially while there are active spies, but the cost settles back down once all spies are expired. But consensus wasn't reached so now the feature sits unused and unimportant. :)

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

The problem with the bribe mechanic is that it was implemented and then boom, no one worked on making it more interesting. There were some minor tweaks, sure. But any further design work on the feature died due to disagreements. For instance, I'd expand it to include all support and citizen soldier units and then give it some kind of cool down time between bribes, or make the cost of bribing increase exponentially while there are active spies, but the cost settles back down once all spies are expired. But consensus wasn't reached so now the feature sits unused and unimportant. :)

how should it work in your opinion?

31 minutes ago, Dizaka said:

Looks like a p1 ram.  Would be cooler if Mace had a p1 siege shop that produces that ;P.

There is already a fair bit going in P1, we need some more things in P2. Also P1 rams may be a bridge to far in my opinion. The only way I would accept that is if we got P2 catapults.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Fabius said:

There is already a fair bit going in P1, we need some more things in P2. Also P1 rams may be a bridge to far in my opinion.

:(

1 hour ago, Fabius said:

The only way I would accept that is if we got P2 catapults.

There's hope! :)

13 hours ago, Gurken Khan said:

This.

Just a wild idea: order a couple of guys (2 or 4 inf) to batter (like a special formation); for the price of 100 wood and with a setup time you get a handheld battering ram. But: the ram takes damage while dealing damage; it should be good to take down a sentry tower and then be useless. The ~formation could be released at any time, it would be destroyed when the units are killed.

This is a cool and amazing idea that is way outside the box and adds uniqueness to formations outside of battle tactics.

Cut "10 wood" with 2-4 units each, can convert to a siege weapon (2-4 units per 1 ram).  If in fighting / non siege formation you are carrying the 10 wood and get an encumbrance debonus.  If in siege formation you are weak vs ranged people but strong vs buildings.

What if what if the formation component could be a p1 until later type of sieging.  There's a clear issue in late and early game with not enough siege weapons to mow through armies. 

If you could change units between sieging and regular fighting that'd be interesting (and could possibly return uselessness of walls, etc [not sure if walls/palisades changed since a25?]), especially using the formation mechanic.  In "siege formation" you could be strong vs ranged weapons and weak vs slash/spear, etc.  If sieging gets upgraded to a regular RAM it can't be downgraded to fighting units.

This could be the "uniqueness" for ram-only civs and Mace/Rome/Seleucids who are "all siege" civs.

Edited by Dizaka

On 27/04/2022 at 1:30 AM, Fabius said:

I am curious as to why units have such high crush armour, Is it to prevent one shotting by elephants? Catapults?

Legacy, when rams were still able to attack units.

16 hours ago, Stan` said:

I suppose we need a a special component for compound upgrade @Freagarach ?

Yeah, sounds interesting. Not really compound upgrade, but just merge, like two High Templars in Star Craft (I) combine to an Archon. Interesting thought exercise it is.

• Like 2

On 28/04/2022 at 7:18 AM, Freagarach said:

Legacy, when rams were still able to attack units.

Yeah, sounds interesting. Not really compound upgrade, but just merge, like two High Templars in Star Craft (I) combine to an Archon. Interesting thought exercise it is.

Ah cool. Yes I remember rams being able to fight units rather well lol. 

Merge upgrade sounds interesting