Were going to France!

One thing that is really expensive in France is beverage. Two weeks ago we went just over the border in France (close to St. Omer) and I was very surprised to pay 2.60 euro for a coke. In Belgium you'll pay that in a chique restaurant in Brussels, usually it's between 1.40 and 1.80.

On the other hand wine is the same price as in Belgium and French longdrinks like Ricard/Pastis are much cheaper.

We once had some French wine farmers staying at our home. When going back to France their car was loaded with chocolate, beer and other alcoholic drinks because these are so expensive in France compared to Belgium.

The little bit of experience I had with traveling through Europe is that the Eastern European countries are the cheapest, then comes Italy, then Spain, Belgium, France, Germany and England as the most expensive.

(:)

Well, having been to most of the countries you quote (except Belgium) very recently, I can say that Spain has become cheaper than Italy now ... and England is leading from a far distance :)

But it's true that soft drinks are quite expensive in cafés ... in vendors, a can of Coke is generally between €1 and €1.50 depending on where you are ...

Well, having been to most of the countries you quote (except Belgium) very recently, I can say that Spain has become cheaper than Italy now ... and England is leading from a far distance :)

But it's true that soft drinks are quite expensive in cafés ... in vendors, a can of Coke is generally between €1 and €1.50 depending on where you are ...

Lol that's expensive too since here it's 5 euro for a pack of 6 0.5l bottles :)

Well, a pack of 6 in here is less than €4, but if you buy a can in those automated machines, it will cost you roughly €1 :P

I can't believe we are having a discussion on Coke bottles :)

as a comparison, a Big Mac Meal in McDonald's is €4.50 IIRC (haven't been to McDonald's for months ...)

Well, all in all, prices in rural France must be roughly the same as in deep rural America ... and prices in Paris must be the same as in New York, to a certain extent ...

the cheapest hotel you can find in Paris is €35 ... that is US$40 ... but, you won't have a bathroom in the room with that price ... a room with bathroom must be a minimum of €45-50 ... per night obviously.