RTS ideas

TrashA

Im thinking bout making a RTS game or a mod for 0AD when its out. But I would like some basic ideas on what the plot should be.

I had 2 ideas, but I dont really know which one will be better accepted by everyday gamers.

Idea 1: This idea is kinda like a warcraft game. Set in a fantasy world with that kind of feel.

Idea 2: I worked on a game befor this, but the programming fell apart, the graphics are still usefull. The idea is an old history game. Set in the time of anchent sumeria and egypt.

u guys have any input on what I should do? both of the ideas work fine on paper. also, if u can think up something else thats original, post it. Im trying to do something thats original.

I'd say that the fantasy game would have to be really unique, because WCIII rules that arena, plus it is becoming a real crowded corner. To stand out it must be unique in concept, design, and execution.

As for a Bronze Age game I say "YEAH!" I am developing a growing interest in Mycenaean warfare (partially due to too many readings of the Iliad :() and a game featuring the Mycenaeans, Egyptians, Hittites, Sumerians (later period, need bronze rather than copper weapons), Hyksos, and ........Elamites or something would be pretty sweet :)

yeah, i have worked with the idea befor for a few years and had a rather indepth game design going. The problem started when my small team fell apart due to the people going off to collage. :)

I also translated most of vergil's Aeneid for latin class, so I also got a huge intrest in that time period.

if i start that game, would you people be interested in small scale helping, such as ideas, brainstorming.... the fun brainwork. ;)

yeah, Minoans and there flush toilets. if i was living back then, id live in there city's just for the toilets. :(

Edited by TrashA

alright, after alot of thinking, i have decided to go with the idea for a Bronze Age game/mod.

now, i have thought up the civs and decided to go with 6 civs:

Egyptians

Hittites

Minoan

Mycenaean

Sumerian

Babylonian

now i would need a list of units. if any of you can list a good unit to have, along with the civ its for, i would be in your debt. :)

after alot of thinking, i decided to move away from doing a RTS game and go in another direction.

I am trying to become a game designer. I see alot of historical RTS games done and I dont really want to reinvent the wheel. 0AD will be an AWSOME game and I would really like to do something original.

I got to thinking, then I opened up 3ds max and played around for a bit. Then I got a cool idea. A hybrid FPS/RPG type game based in the bronze age.

Then I got out the powerfull pen and paper and started writing up a design.

The game will be a combat sim, which will take place during the trojan war. You will be a warrior, and for most part, will play like an RPG, leveling and gaining experiance. But the diffrence is that you will gain EXP by not fighting computer monsters, but other players in an online battle.

The game will start on a level, which both sides have a series of objectives to compleat. for example, the greeks might need to capture the beach of troi, then the cliff, then some supply route to win the level, while the trojans will need to defend all 3 for a set amounts of minets to win the objective.

this will force players to work together to get the job done. making it seem like a true battle.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

I have no programming skill at all. ;) but i do have art skills, i can texture, animate, and some modeling.

im sure with alot of help, a team ill assemble, and your imput, i can pull this off and have a great "fully 3D" bronze age warfare game.

Edited by TrashA

If I understand correctly you're basicly talking about a bronze-age MMORPG. These are possibly the hardest games to pull off, not only as far as making it goes but also designing it so it doesn't fall apart with so many people online (anyone who's played Runescape will know what I mean).

You will be a warrior, and for most part, will play like an RPG, leveling and gaining experiance. But the diffrence is that you will gain EXP by not fighting computer monsters, but other players in an online battle.

OK, a MMOFPS or MMOPRG with FPS elements. It's still multiplayer only, making it hard as hell to do, and drastically decreasing the audience of the game.