Capturing Enemy

Graham1

I've no idea how doable this is but I'll throw out the idea anyway. Like with how rams used to be captured by military, the same could be applied to people. The higher the rank, the quicker the conversion. I suppose you could do a reversal of a persons power up (status bar). Once the enemy has been captured (status bar drained), you could then lead them back to your base. once inside your base, they are converted to your side. Until then, they are neautral (gaia).

:)

• Confused 1

19 minutes ago, Graham1 said:

I've no idea how doable this is but I'll throw out the idea anyway. Like with how rams used to be captured by military, the same could be applied to people. The higher the rank, the quicker the conversion. I suppose you could do a reversal of a persons power up (status bar). Once the enemy has been captured (status bar drained), you could then lead them back to your base. once inside your base, they are converted to your side. Until then, they are neautral (gaia).

And we are past that stage.

We did not like the results.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

And we are past that stage.

We did not like the results.

Fair enough. I'm sure this had probably been asked a thousand times before. Was the issue with implementing this or it just affected the gameplay too much?

Edited by Graham1

1 hour ago, Freagarach said:

Taking POW's is still something I would like to try out some time. :)

In addition to my original post, may be a more realist way of implementing this would be to treat people like buildings. Once a town centre has been lost and a castle (if within this boundary) of the town centre, all units turn to gaia (unless they flee outside this boundary). Then the conquerer (maybe a hero or champion) only has to touch them to be converted to your side. This would take away the processing of each individual unit.

7 hours ago, Graham1 said:

We need conversion ( more like AoE) mechanic no just capturing.

1 hour ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

The siege machine becomes a ball like football or tenis, the units fighting for capture them. Very unrealistic.

Sorry, I probably didn't explain myself well. I don't have a problem with rams not being captured. In fact, I think this makes the game play better. However, the rams probably would have had people operating them, so if you remove them it's possible to capture.

Was your answer regarding the results, in response to rams or people being captured?

Edited by Graham1

Regarding the videos, that looks good. You could have a new unit (for each civ) that is a bit like a market trader but with a cage rather than a cart being pulled by a horse. When the unit (gaia) is within the traders auro (I think that's what it is called), they are automatically put inside the cage. You could make this one per civ. It would be cool to have the animation of the person grabbing hold of the captured person and putting them inside the cage. 

4 hours ago, Graham1 said:

Sorry, I probably didn't explain myself well. I don't have a problem with rams not being captured. In fact, I think this makes the game play better. However, the rams probably would have had people operating them, so if you remove them it's possible to capture.

Was your answer regarding the results, in response to rams or people being captured?

units in general. people being captured exist in delenda est.

It's the same but faster. It's basically going out to hunt humans, they run away (female workers).

On 18/04/2022 at 1:01 AM, Freagarach said:

Taking POW's is still something I would like to try out some time. :)

I could envision such a mechanic with battalions. If a battalion is completely surrounded and its numerical strength depleted by 50%, the battalion has a 50/50 chance of "surrendering" to the enemy player or fighting to the death (with bonus attack, but less armor). The ratio could tip more toward fighting to the death for elite and champion battalions, while basic ranked battalions are more likely to surrender. 

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

I could envision such a mechanic with battalions. If a battalion is completely surrounded and its numerical strength depleted by 50%, the battalion has a 50/50 chance of "surrendering" to the enemy player or fighting to the death (with bonus attack, but less armor). The ratio could tip more toward fighting to the death for elite and champion battalions, while basic ranked battalions are more likely to surrender. 

rank should play a role. Also the skills within the groups, the battalions should have a series of skills and behaviors.

Kind of like forcing a fight to the death.

It would even increase the ranks by 4. Adding novel(noob) to the list.

• 6 months later...
On 18/04/2022 at 8:33 AM, Lion.Kanzen said:

The siege machine becomes a ball like football or tenis, the units fighting for capture them. Very unrealistic.

Well, it was very unrealistic the way it was implemented.

If, in a more historical manner, a unit would not be able to try capturing (either machines or buildings) while there is an enemy unit nearby, the fight would be tactically interesting.

• Like 1