Damage types should be refined or simplified.

AIEND

2 minutes ago, AIEND said:

Only after the change will there be normal gameplay. I actually have a hard time understanding why slingers have crush damage, why spearmen and pikeman have piercing damage, these are not common designs at all, and it's wrong to think of them as something that's not a problem by default.

The gameplay right now is pretty awesome actually.

There is an amount of abstraction in video games. look at age of empires, other games too. If you want to simulate reality, you will find this is an impossible task.

4 minutes ago, AIEND said:

spearmen and pikeman

you poke with these weapons

Its a lot easier to understand why slingers have crush damage if you understood or had any appreciation for the gameplay role they play with their unique ability to take out light structures from a range. You can't just come in to a game and say everything is wrong because you have an idea about what is "common", as if that is some great merit.

While I like the current damage system, I would not be opposed to counters for particular situations. For example:

palisades can hardly be used to slow down melee cavalry to stop raids, therefore give 0.3x counter for melee cav vs palisades.

1 分钟前,real_tabasco_sauce 说:

现在的游戏玩法实际上非常棒。

电子游戏中有大量的抽象。 看看帝国时代,其他游戏也是如此。 如果你想模拟现实,你会发现这是一项不可能完成的任务。

你用这些武器戳

When you go to calculate the relationship between damage and armor, you will find that this is a nightmare.
So why even give them hack damage? As I said before, spears and javelins are often the same weapon, and if you give the spear two damage types, the javelin should too.

3 minutes ago, BreakfastBurrito_007 said:

虽然我喜欢当前的伤害系统,但我不会反对针对特定情况进行反击。 例如:

栅栏几乎不能用来减慢近战骑兵的速度来阻止突袭,因此给近战骑兵对栅栏的 0.3 倍计数器。

I don't think the question is how fast the cavalry can destroy the fence, it's the fact that the presence of cavalry in P1 is weird.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

刚才,real_tabasco_sauce 说:

单位差异化。 拥有不同角色和优势的单位有利于游戏玩法。

That should increase the jab damage to the spear and pike to enrich the difference of the unit, rather than let the spear and bow share the same damage type for the sake of saving trouble.

3 分钟前,Lion.Kanzen 说:

刺穿 。 *

In general, if people want more differentiated units and richer elements, they should spend more time on more detailed design, like I said, at least 6 damage types. On the contrary, to make it simpler, three damage types are enough.
You can't expect to be differentiated between units and assume that more work can be avoided at the same time.

6 minutes ago, AIEND said:

In general, if people want more differentiated units and richer elements, they should spend more time on more detailed design, like I said, at least 6 damage types. On the contrary, to make it simpler, three damage types are enough.
You can't expect to be differentiated between units and assume that more work can be avoided at the same time.

Sounds an interesting step forward.

Total war like?(similar to total war franchise).

1 分钟前,Lion.Kanzen 说:

听起来是一个有趣的进步。

全面战争之类的?(类似于全面战争系列)。

Total War games have settings such as blocking and breaking armor, charging, and resisting charging. The shield is also a very complex system, and 0ad is difficult to imitate in this regard.
I think the improvements we can make are limited, but enough for an RTS.

1 hour ago, AIEND said:

Total War games have settings such as blocking and breaking armor, charging, and resisting charging. The shield is also a very complex system, and 0ad is difficult to imitate in this regard.
I think the improvements we can make are limited, but enough for an RTS.

sometimes it tries to be a hybrid rts. To keep innovation( not to be an free AOE clone only) while giving satisfaction of base building.

• Like 1

Just now, Loki1950 said:

All attacks are the transfer kinetic energy to a target so the main variables are mass and velocity, armor is just something that defects or absorbs that energy going back to first principles can be clarifying.

Enjot the Choice :)  

That's why siege attack would be machinery(engine) mechanical.

All energy is the same the main advantage the siege machinery does is increase the velocity of the projectile there is no change in the energy involved it just is of greater magnitude due to that velocity increase, which is also the case between an arrow and a bullet.

Enjoy the Choice :)

刚才,Loki1950 说道:

所有能量都是一样的,攻城机器的主要优点是增加弹丸的速度,所涉及的能量没有变化,只是由于速度增加而幅度更大,箭和子弹之间也是如此.

享受选择 :)

Some materials resist tensile forces but not shear forces, such as Kevlar body armor that resists bullets but not daggers.

• Like 2

• 6 months later...

Here's how I see it and think it should be:

Crush is damage caused by the weight of the projectile or weapon, pierce is damage caused by a sharp and fast moving but lightweight weapon. If someone slings a heavy stone at you and you block it with a shield it's likely to break your arm, which an arrow wouldn't do, but the arrow is harder to dodge and more likely to kill you if it hits you in the bare chest. Hack is in-between; it's a close range attack with both weight and sharpness, and can best be blocked using another melee weapon like a sword.

Agility means more crush armor, armor and especially shields give pierce armor, and both of those and having a good melee weapon gives hack armor.

Wooden structures are most vulnerable to hack, stone buildings to crush, but both have high resistance to all attacks and siege weapons have high damage multipliers against them.

Edited by Adeimantos
  • Like 1

18 分钟前,Adeimantos 说:

以下是我的看法并认为它应该是:

粉碎是由射弹或武器的重量造成的伤害,穿刺是由锋利、快速移动但重量轻的武器造成的伤害。 如果有人向你投掷一块沉重的石头,而你用盾牌挡住它,它很可能会折断你的手臂,而箭不会这样做,但箭更难躲闪,如果它赤裸裸地击中你,更有可能杀死你胸部。 哈克介于两者之间; 这是一种兼具重量和锋利度的近距离攻击,最好使用剑等其他近战武器进行格挡。

敏捷意味着更多的粉碎盔甲,盔甲,尤其是盾牌可以提供穿刺盔甲,而这两者以及拥有好的近战武器可以提供黑客盔甲。

木结构最容易被砍,石头建筑最容易被压碎,但两者都对所有攻击都有很高的抵抗力,攻城武器对它们有很高的伤害乘数。

It's more of a matter of luck whether you're hit by a catapult-fired rock, in fact, these rocks are flying from above your head and are hard to spot until they hit the ground, and may roll over after hitting the ground, crushing someone's head at random. Feet, these stones are difficult to avoid consciously, so I don't agree with the idea that the lighter the equipment, the higher the resistance to crush damage.

As for dodging, the projectiles in the game may not hit the target. If a unit happens to be in motion, it may avoid flying stones. Since the melee infantry runs slower in the game, the long-range infantry and cavalry run faster. It is enough to reflect this, and there is no need to distinguish on the armor.

Edited by AIEND
  • Like 1