Going to London!

Friday I'm going to London (Thursday at 22.00 to be precise) by buss, it's a trip organized by my school, we are one day in London and then go back home again so it stays affordable. Now I was thinking, one day in London, what should I visit?

Does anyone have suggestions or maybe things I should watch out for etc. etc.?

(BTW, I only stay in Zone 1 and 2 because otherwise it will be too far away. Zone 1 and 2 are the zones where you can find the Tower Bridge, Big Ben, British Museum etc. If you don't get it, then don't mention it. :) )

So I asume you're going by Eurostar? I guess you won't have much time if you come from The Netherlands.

Hmm well you summed it all up: Tower Bridge, Big Ben, the Tower, British Museum. If you only have one day you'll have to pick one of these because you won't be able to visit it all at once. I recommend the Tower, but there are very long waiting lines (depending when you're going), otherwise the British Museum (it's free!). But mind you, you can spend a whole week in the British Museum, it's huge.

(;)

Here is my pick ...

Morning take the Tube to Liverpool Street Station ... from there, head to Leadenhall Market and The Monument (monument in rememberance of the Great Fire). Then, walk to The Tower of London and Tower Bridge that is just close ... then, walk to London Bridge and cross it ... (you can take great pictures of Tower Bridge from there). Then, when you have crossed London Bridge, turn right to Southwark Cathedral ... walk by the River Bank past the Globe Theatre and in front of the New Tate Gallery. Then, when in front of the New Tate Gallery, cross the river on the Millenium Bridge (for pedestrians only) and go to Saint Paul's Cathedral ... that's about it for the morning ;)

Then, have a lunch in the little sandwich shops around Saint Paul's Cathedral and near the Temple ... then, after lunch, go to The Temple, you can visit the actual Temple with the Knights Templars (very popular at the moment) and you can see some nice places around ... from there, go to Temple Station to take the Tube to go to Westminster or simply walk to Westminster if you feel like it ... You will see Big Ben, Westminster Abbey and the Houses of Parliament ... then, you can walk to St James's Park and Buckingham Palace ... walk around and walk to Trafalgar Square. In there, you can get into the National Gallery (it's free). From there, you can either walk or take the tube to Picadilly Circus. From Picadilly Circus, you walk to Leicester Square and walk up to Tottenham Court Road ... arrived at Tottenham Court Road, you can go to Chinatown or to the British Museum that is very close ...

I did that with my wife in August last year ... it is quite a walk, but it is nice ... and at the end of the day, you are exhausted :)

London is quite a small town (in surface) compared to Paris or New York, so you can do a lot of it (the historical centre) walking ... I hope you will follow my path ... enjoy :(

(:(

Near London Bridge and London Bridge Station, I know a little sandwich shop held by Italians ... they are very popular for lunch time, so I advise you to go quite early ... it is a shame to go to McDonald's in London! try to find something else!!!!! there are little placesd in Chinatown too, which are quite cheap!

have some imagination man! :)

Near London Bridge and London Bridge Station, I know a little sandwich shop held by Italians ... they are very popular for lunch time, so I advise you to go quite early ... it is a shame to go to McDonald's in London! try to find something else!!!!! there are little placesd in Chinatown too, which are quite cheap!

have some imagination man! :)

Ok I'll keep that in mind. Thanks for the advice, I owe you one.

(:)

@ Klaas ... yes, I know a very good hotel ... but not in London ... 30km from London ... it is called "at my aunt's house" ... ;) it is free for me :( ...

No, seriously, as I always stay at my aunt's house (or at my cousin's house), I have no idea of any hotel in London ... but if I can give you a piece of advice, here it is:

find an hotel far from London, but on the Underground line ... I don't think you can find an hotel in London for less than £ 60 ( € 100) ...

I really enjoyed walking around the area from Picadilly Circus to Leicester Square to Covent Garden. There were a lot of neat places.

I went to see a play near Picadilly Circus, which was really nice.

The London Eye offers a really interesting view of the city.

I also enjoyed walking around Windsor Castle and the surrounding area (namely, Eton).

Klaas-

You could stay in hostels too of course - I stayed in a fairly nice hostel (for its price) with a cafeteria dinner included. I believe it was not far from the Globe Theater, right next to a tube station. It was a dorm room though - not bad I guess if you are with friends. And the rooms were pretty good quality.

Well I'll go with my gf so dorm rooms are out of the question :)

I guess I'll follow your advice Curu, seems like the best choice. I noticed that the price difference is huge for hotels outside cities (was recently checking for Ljubljana, the difference was nearly 40%), so if there's a decent tube connection that sounds good.