Thread for posting suggestions for Alpha 27.

Lion.Kanzen

23 hours ago, Stan` said:

I guess the issue is that if we make Stun non default nobody will be able to play ^^

Agreed, just changing the default isn't the best way. Some UI changes to properly promote forwarding without confusing users certainly would be better. Rewarding hosts with a "first class host badge" is probably already a good incentive.

But we shouldn't assume people to be stupid and properly tell them the drawbacks of each method. There simply doesn't exist a just works solution without wfg hosting the games or proxying all traffic. So implicitly pretending otherwise wont help casting a good light on 0ad.

I faintly recall @Langbart having written a guide somewhere ...

21 hours ago, gui456wSERTDYF said:

I am an example of such people. I don't know anything at all about those network details. I am getting to know at this very moment that "stun" (whatever that is) is the quick'n dirty solution, if I am getting the point properly.

Does this forwarding port thing affect all online games/apps? If so, how do other games avoid this to be an issue? I don't play others so honestly I don't know, but all other apps that use internet connection work fine...

Forwarding requires you to have sufficient rights to configure your router. Stun is a technique which allows you in some cases to bypass this limitation. So quick'n dirty solution only in the sense that it's easily abused as a one trick pony. The biggest problem is only some people will be able to connect to you while others can't depending on their ISP, this giving the illusion of all is well when it's not.

I think in a27 we need to add some unit-specific upgrades.

In a25, we have very general military upgrades, and they tend to simply increase the damage by a percentage or increase the armor of all your units.

I think the gameplay quality could be immensely improved, if more consideration and planning was taken into account when getting upgrades and planning your unit composition.

Here is my idea for how this system would work:

1.  each unit gets up to 2 unit specific upgrades in the barracks or stable, and these would appear in slots underneath the unit they apply to
  2. the upgrades would focus on particular battlefield traits rather than a boring +% attack

example for spearcav: 

phase 2 available: +20 m/(s*s) acceleration, + 2 m/s speed. cost: 400 food, 250 metal

phase 3 available: +2m attack range + 1 pierce armor. cost: 500 food 250 wood 300 metal

example for slingers:

phase 2 available: +.5 crush damage . cost: 200 food 100 wood 200 stone

phase 3 available: + 5m range. cost: 300 food 200 wood 350 stone

The idea behind these upgrades is that we could pick and choose which civs get which of those unit-specific upgrades. Of course, no one civ should have them all, and those upgrades might not need to be researched every single game. I think the gameplay would be way better with such upgrades, because they would increase differentiation (which civs get which upgrades for which units?), increase the options for balancing units (we can tweak unit-specific upgrades to balance units), and provide a big increase to the strategic depth of the game, with players choosing upgrades and altering their army compositions or tactics.

Edited by BreakfastBurrito_007
  • Like 2

I like @BreakfastBurrito_007's idea and please do not be confused by SI units! 

Acceleration is always measured in ms^-2 which is the rate of change of velocity over time. Velocity (in a given direction) is always measured in ms^-1. You cannot convert accleration into velocity because they are not the same thing! 

acceleration = change in velocity / time interval 

Now in the very particular case of 0ad:

final velocity = initial velocity + acceleration * time   (the derivation is trivial and left as an excercise to the reader)

So for 20ms^-2 accleration, the time you need to acclerate a cavalry unit to its maximum speed of 18ms^-1 is:

18 = 0 + 20 * time

time = 0.9 second

Hopefully this can help you to invent more sensible values for the stats 

On 18/04/2022 at 12:56 PM, LetswaveaBook said:

I think it would be nice to introduce some features that represent the culture of certain factions.

An idea would be the Roman bathhouses. The in game effect could be similar to the technology living condition where garrisoned units regain HP.

Not a bad idea, but while bathhouses were around in Republican times, the gigantic bathhouses we know today from the Roman era come from the Imperial age of Rome, 1st century CE+. I'd definitely love to see some kind of provincial bathhouse for a potential "Imperial Romans" civ!

For Republican Romans, perhaps look into making the Temple of Vesta more interesting. Also, a "Comitium" structure could be unique to them. It's the assembly of the People, or a Senate House would be super cool. These structures at the very least should be in Atlas. 

On 11/04/2022 at 4:26 AM, Outis said:

Phase IV?

I would certainly love to see an "Empire Phase" added to the game. In can be auto-researched once the Wonder is constructed. It would unlock a 2nd set of champions and some "super techs" for each civ. Also, perhaps going to this phase will add an additional life to all heroes.

On 19/04/2022 at 12:24 PM, real_tabasco_sauce said:

I am a bit on the fence for this, i guess. Tributes received would already count towards the receiver's economy score, because they would be spending those resources on their own soldiers and upgrades. Would it be OK to have this number given to both the donor and recipient? 

I had the intention of making eco score resources used so that a relationship (the value ratio) could be drawn between eco and military regardless of the total resources available.

The issue is: if player A gives a total of 2000 food and wood to player B, player B ends up actually using the resources, but player A receives no "credit" for those resources gifted as part of the economy score. Maybe it would be fine anyway to leave out resources donated to dissuade feeding. If a fee is ever implemented to tributes (i think it should), this fee should be a cost to the donor (and would then be part of eco score)

I think the value ratio could be added regardless of the eco score decision, since it is (military score/ resources used) in either case. While I think changing the eco score would help, I am more passionate about the value ratio.

On 19/04/2022 at 12:34 PM, alre said:

tributes received could be taken out someone's eco score. it would make sense I think, and it wouldn't be that big of a change, but I guess it's also ok to not count tributes, scores can't be perfect anyway.

I think there could be a score benefit to this to encourage good team play and economic entanglement among teammates.

1 小时前,wowgetoffyourcellphone 说:

我当然希望看到游戏中加入“帝国阶段”。 一旦建造了奇迹,就可以自动研究。 它将为每个文明解锁第二组冠军和一些“超级技术”。 此外,也许进入这个阶段会给所有英雄增加额外的生命。

At present, it doesn't make much sense to join P4. Part of the content of P3 should be moved to P2 first, such as siege machines, chariots, and war elephants.
P3 should strengthen citizen soldiers, for example, after reaching P3, the experience of all citizen soldiers will increase by one level.
P4 should strengthen champions as well as siege machines and fortresses through technology.

7 hours ago, Sevda said:

I like @BreakfastBurrito_007's idea and please do not be confused by SI units! 

Acceleration is always measured in ms^-2 which is the rate of change of velocity over time. Velocity (in a given direction) is always measured in ms^-1. You cannot convert accleration into velocity because they are not the same thing! 

acceleration = change in velocity / time interval 

Now in the very particular case of 0ad:

final velocity = initial velocity + acceleration * time   (the derivation is trivial and left as an excercise to the reader)

So for 20ms^-2 accleration, the time you need to acclerate a cavalry unit to its maximum speed of 18ms^-1 is:

18 = 0 + 20 * time

time = 0.9 second

Hopefully this can help you to invent more sensible values for the stats 

mm I was just going off of what I remembered the acceleration values for different units to be. @Stan` @wowgetoffyourcellphone what do you guys think of the possible gameplay depth and balancing opportunities? My goal is to get @real_tabasco_sauce or someone else interested enough to make a mod for it. 

Yes, I think the game could use more unit specific technologies. I think it is too easy to just fully upgrade all units, rather than pick and choose upgrades strategically.

If we could assemble a chart of these upgrades (unit type in rows, phase 2 and 3 tiers in the columns with price for each listed)

I think these upgrades should be pretty impactful, but also very expensive ( @BreakfastBurrito_007 suggested prices are fine I think, but if its a particularly strong upgrade, the price could be increased a necessary)

they also shouldn't outshine the blacksmith techs too much.

• Like 2

First, I suggest you to pin this topic up (at least temporarily) so anyone can see it.

I've just seen it was there later after I've posted this suggestion in the old pinned Suggestions topic
:book: ->

EDIT : The simpler the trap, the lower its cost.

Edited by Manimal
added a mention on cost, fixed some typo

In general suggestion for long discussions. I think we need an related thread features while creating topic. It will show you related existing threads based on keywords. That way duplicate discuss will not happen.

We should have a summarized thread for a long original thread (like this one), where admin/someone else will post 1 liner summary of unique ideas suggested, while discusison can happen on original thread.

I figured I would assemble some of the more popular/ more discussed ideas here and in suggestions for 0ad.

Naval overhaul, including but not limited to:

• scale down all ships
  • differentiate ships into different classes (transport, scout, warship, siege, special (e.g. fireship))
  • decrease dock build time
  • debate adding turret points for garrison

Unit specific upgrades:

• 0, 1 (town phase), or 2 (city phase) unit specific upgrades, see @BreakfastBurrito_007 post for examples.
  • available in barracks/stable, each unit type gets 2 upgrades, but civs vary in which/how many they have access to.

make siege towers a capture unit, with arrows a secondary feature.

additional statistic:

• "effectiveness ratio" = value of enemy units, buildings killed/ resources spent

spec flare (only for specs, and options to disable/mute)

differentiate chariots, cataphract units.

Hyrcanian cav buff (2 options: stat increase and raiding unit) 

elephant archers increase rate of fire with each promotion, more XP to promote.

walls changes:

• palisade resistance to cavalry damage
  • wall gate HP decrease, add a row of garrison space, doubling garrison points to 16.
  • make walls easier to place, perhaps destroying trees upon wall completion.
  • possibly a "fortified wall" upgrade available to some civs

CC cost/territory gain changes:

• less territory gained in each phase, decrease CC cost
  • slightly less colony territory

raise all attack repeat times for performance, damage adjusted accordingly.

starting metal and stone:

• not so close to CC
  • positioned separately on some random angle from CC with fixed radius
  • perhaps decrease to 3000, using 3 1000 res "clumps" of each metal and stone.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1