Future of 0 A.D.

Stan`

Dear community,

as you know, Alpha 26 is nigh. We've all seen the topic for determining its name and the speculations on what happens after this release.

Today we want to announce to you that a decision has been made regarding the future of 0 A.D. Due to the lack of letters in the alphabet following this release, we've decided that Alpha 26 will be the last release of 0 A.D.

We thank you for your support and wish you all the best!

Kind regards,

Wildfire Games

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 10
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 4

1 hour ago, Stan` said:

Alpha 26 will be the last release of 0 A.D.

That is very sad to hear, as there is still much potential in the development of this game and many features to be improved on. 

New features perhaps could be implemented in the form of mods on top of vanilla 0AD, such as Delenda Est and Hyrule Conquest. Then 0AD can become a game like Minecraft. 

Edited by Yekaterina

1 hour ago, Stan` said:

Due to the lack of letters in the alphabet

This excuse is inadquate, becuase ISO basic Latin alphabet is not the only alphabet in the world; there is no reason to discriminate against other alphabet systems and ignore them. Even the extended Latin alphabet has not been used! Consider adding accents to letters, é ú ó á Ö,  Ü, then there is Turkish  ç, Ğ,  Ş  and many to choose from in Vietnamese. 

Please consider using those, then move onto Greek and Cyrillic, after which you have Persian, Arabic, Hebrew, Korean, Japanese ... Almost every language in the world except Chinese has some form of alphabet system. After you exhaust all of these, you can switch to Chinese characters, which opens up a limitless number of alphas and possible names. 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, m7600 said:

some people that responded to this thread still don't get it.

I still don't understand. I would not expect the Project Leader Stan to joke about discontinuing alphas, and I do not understand what is special about 1st of April, especially when today is a Friday and not a Tuesday (Tuesday Boy maths paradox).

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Thank you @Gurken Khan, now I understand that Stan is pranking me, although I was unaware of the April Fools tradition beforehands. The Spagetti harvesting video was utterly confusing without this prior knowledge. 

On a serious note: what will happen after A27? Will the game always remain in alpha or will we switch to betas?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, m7600 said:

It's not a thing in my country. I'm not from the USA. It's even more shocking that you assume that people from other countries don't know what April Fools is.

Don't know what the US got to do with anything. Doesn't have an entry for April 1st traditions and @Stan`s from France, if I'm not mistaken.

6 minutes ago, m7600 said:

A lot of you people seem to be unfamiliar with, for example, Blizzard Entertainment's (a company which became famous for its RTS games) tradition of Aprils Fools posts. Shame on you.

Yeah, shame on everyone not following some rando corp's posts. :rolleyes:

• Thanks 1

yes @Sevda there are many videos that go live on April one that are hilarious. Here is one:

Also, in 2020, FINA (the international swimming federation) announced changes to the rules of breaststroke on April 1, which was shocking to many swimmers XD.

https://swimswam.com/fina-votes-for-dramatic-post-olympic-changes-to-breaststroke-underwaters/

Edited by real_tabasco_sauce

13 minutes ago, m7600 said:

has it occurred to you that, perhaps, since 0AD is an RTS game, maybe, just maybe, Stan's post was a wink to that?

Actually, no. :)

I perceived it more in a tradition known to me, which is ~European. So it wasn't hard to get for me, but obviously a lot, if not even the majority of ppl are not accustomed to this tradition. Even knowing that some gaming co.s made April 1st posts, Blizzard's still some rando corp for me.

17 minutes ago, m7600 said:

It was a joke. You obviously didn't get it.

Right. Didn't get the clues. If there were any. For all I knew it could've been some eurocentric duckhead posting.

19 minutes ago, m7600 said:

You must be really fun at parties.

Thx, yeah. I'm quite entertaining in personal contact. :)

28 minutes ago, m7600 said:

I'm not from Europe. Maybe you should assume less about random strangers on the Internet? Just a suggestion.

From what I remember from the forums my guess actually wouldn't have placed you in Europe.

29 minutes ago, m7600 said:

I'm sure you are, your personal contact must be just as entertaining as catching crab lice or a venereal disease.

Spoiler

39 minutes ago, m7600 said:

So how could I possibly be a eurocentric duckhead (your words) if I'm not from Europe?

Heritage, self-perceived (warped) identity... Like for example I read about a country south of Mexico* where the ladies try to be as pale as possible and only speak English, hoping to be 'mistaken' as US-Americans...

Anyway, I think it's one of the beautiful things about this forum that ppl from all around the world and of all kinds of walks of live get to communicate and broaden their perspective of the world... :)

Spoiler

Among my many weak fields of knowledge, geography very much is one. I could get together the 16 states of my home country, with their respective capitals I'd already be struggling. And yeah, sorry, I can't get this middle, south and Latin America thing straight, let alone the respective countries...

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...