I can join some games but not others

0facts

So, this is what's been happening for the past few days.

I can join some games, but not others. Those aren't private games, those are normal tg that I can't join for some odd reason. 
Also, something similar happened where I hosted a game and one of my friends couldn't join me, but random people were able to join and then he hosted a game, and I wasn't able to join him while other random people were able to join him. I deleted my antivirus, disabled my firewall, tried many many things, but to no avail. Hence, I have decided to post it here.

I am on windows btw and I use my University's wifi (felt like it was important to share idk). lmk if there's a solution.

cheers,

facts

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, 0facts said:

I can join some games, but not others. Those aren't private games, those are normal tg that I can't join for some odd reason. 

@elexis gave an answer to a similar issue. 

[23:05:14] elexis the typical case for one host server being joinable by some but not by others is that the host hasnt forwarded the port, is using stun, and then the clients that can join the game can utilize STUN, and the ones that cant join the server cant utilize STUN, and they  cant utilize STUN because the ISP or local firewall blocks it
[23:06:59] elexis https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/STUN#Limitations
[23:07:05] elexis basically technical mumbo jumbo
[23:07:26] elexis the only thing in your power is to have the host forward their port
[23:07:45] elexis then he can disable STUN, this way everyone or noone will be able to join
[23:08:02] elexis I suppose this information should go into a dialog inside the game near the MP dialog

• Like 1

I had the same problem with a friend, and what we ended up doing was to set up a VPN (we used Hamachi, but probably there are other programs to do it!). Then one of us host a game in Multiplayer/Host Game.

However, we use this to play against ourselves, I don't think it will allow you to use the Lobby :unsure:

2 hours ago, 0facts said:

I started using mobile data for 0ad, and now I have no problems. Kinda funny tho, I honestly thought hosting would be impossible on mobile data

Depends on the ISP, stun will for ever be works for some and not for others. Proper port forwarding > upnp (miniupnp) > stun.

On 24/03/2022 at 1:13 AM, 0facts said:

So, this is what's been happening for the past few days.

Also, something similar happened where I hosted a game and one of my friends couldn't join me, but random people were able to join and then he hosted a game, and I wasn't able to join him while other random people were able to join him. I deleted my antivirus, disabled my firewall, tried many many things, but to no avail. Hence, I have decided to post it here.

I am on windows btw and I use my University's wifi (felt like it was important to share idk). lmk if there's a solution.

cheers,

facts

1. windows firewall
  2. windows defender
  3. any antivirus
  4. closed ports on router

if you are using university's wifi and first 3 steps dont work then ITS OVER

Edited by bad player

• 1 month later...

I am not sure about what I said

14 minutes ago, leopard said:

port forwarding fixed my problem I think.

now I can join hosts that i had to use vpn to connect, 

i cannot join some new hosts may be they did not forward ports.

I cannot host still