[random] Gaia

I'm happy to announce my first map and mod for 0ad! Gaia is a random map aimed at beauty and realism: It aims to provide beautiful landscapes and pleasant environments that are different every time, making use of all capabilities currently provided by the engine.

You can usually expect plentiful resources and large forests with a lot of wildlife, may contain lakes and mountainous features alike. Supports all the default biomes and player placement formations. Roads connect player positions, longer roads will appear more worn out. You may encounter mercenaries and random buildings or camps you can capture. A time of day can also be chosen, night is supported as well as stormy days with weather effects (biome dependent).

Games aren't guaranteed to be fair and perfect all the time: Due to how heavily randomized the map is, each player may start in a better / worse area nearer to different resources. I had several matches with AI and it feels fair and balanced overall. Give it a try and let me know what you think!

gaia_1.0.zip

Instructions: Since I didn't feel I should make a whole mod for one map I packed the map as is. Just unpack the zip in ~/.local/share/0ad/mods/user, don't know what the path is for Windows. It should then appear in the random maps section when creating a match.

Spoiler

screenshot0020.thumb.png.3704e388d6524d84c50767c3f056a45e.pngscreenshot0021.thumb.png.0fc2104ff0b95890c2da83e3b63c5651.pngscreenshot0022.thumb.png.5dfb7b4b8162be719f78c3d34ae53ae9.pngscreenshot0023.thumb.png.519b6156b3439178b50e1530caf50e1f.pngscreenshot0024.thumb.png.fd10f8c6990eb3e5fc1aea00df233fa6.pngscreenshot0025.thumb.png.a83aaa2c7c80c5eee217969da79a5388.pngscreenshot0026.thumb.png.9fc4dd0d270cd312180d6ed9364cf5d7.pngscreenshot0027.thumb.png.fc89efcf7da9c2e0c66c3b61fe3a867a.pngscreenshot0029.thumb.png.13a4390e7bbfd9de65d0796c7df5cbcb.pngscreenshot0030.thumb.png.84541a7efb888902bd7713119a4ddd69.png

Edited by MirceaKitsune
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lopess said:

This map would be a good candidate to mod community maps.

Do you mean Community Maps maintained by Arch Stanton? We play every few days and I'll probably suggest he adds this one too. I don't remember if his was a fork though. But maybe someone would like to play it a few times and if it's good I'd be happy to! In AI matches it plays very well now.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Freagarach said:

Maybe even inclusion in the main game?

I wonder if it's too exotic? I'm not doing anything other maps haven't done though, just that this seems to be the first random map that does several things at once (roads, mercenaries, daytime, etc). I played several matches so far: Apart from a few areas being cramped and terrain casually being too rough to place buildings on, it plays very well and normally overall.

1 hour ago, MirceaKitsune said:

I wonder if it's too exotic? I'm not doing anything other maps haven't done though, just that this seems to be the first random map that does several things at once (roads, mercenaries, daytime, etc).

I think that this is a good thing, more variety in the maps would be nice.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, MirceaKitsune said:

Do you mean Community Maps maintained by Arch Stanton? We play every few days and I'll probably suggest he adds this one too. I don't remember if his was a fork though. But maybe someone would like to play it a few times and if it's good I'd be happy to! In AI matches it plays very well now.

Yes, maintained by Arch Stanton (my other alias). It's a fork, but the original hasn't been maintained since Dec of 2019.

I know you've had a GitHub account for a few years, so feel free to make a pull request whenever you'd like it added.

Edited by andy5995

17 minutes ago, andy5995 said:

Yes, maintained by Arch Stanton (my other alias). It's a fork, but the original hasn't been maintained since Dec of 2019.

I know you've had a GitHub account for a few years, so feel free to make a pull request whenever you'd like it added.

Wonderful: Will do. I have the Git repo cloned, but always run into trouble when it comes to branches and that sort of thing. I'll give it a try later.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MirceaKitsune said:

Wonderful: Will do. I have the Git repo cloned, but always run into trouble when it comes to branches and that sort of thing. I'll give it a try later.

Me or @Jammyjamjammanwill help if you get stuck.

You'll first need to just remove your existing local clone, then fork the repo, then make a clone of your fork. That way, when you make a branch and push, you'll have permissions, because you're pushing to your fork, not the main repo. I hope that helps clear things up a little! :)

Edited by andy5995

I tried out several biomes and they all look very nice! The random topography makes it so real and unique. Sometimes it produces a little mess though, with mines appearing on top of the mountains. Treasures sometimes don't fit the biome they are placed in, e.g. I had ship wrecks on the mountains xD Some waterlilys and reed at the lakes would look nice:) Would love to have this map in the main game!

27 minutes ago, nifa said:

I tried out several biomes and they all look very nice! The random topography makes it so real and unique. Sometimes it produces a little mess though, with mines appearing on top of the mountains. Treasures sometimes don't fit the biome they are placed in, e.g. I had ship wrecks on the mountains xD Some waterlilys and reed at the lakes would look nice:) Would love to have this map in the main game!

Decoration placement is a little generalized, it's only customized between bluffs and the main area. I had issues with structures floating sometimes but believe I managed to fix those. One idea was to allow trees / mines / animals on plateaus and mountains too, even if they can't be reached and mined they still look good.

• 2 weeks later...