Googlebot posting in the forums..

Haha, that's funny.

I think, though, that the technical reasons for this behaviour might be the fact that Googlebot is a spider which follows any link on a webpage, and therefore also the "posting" link - but since it can't perform POST-requests (sending the Post-FORM), it won't complete the posting action. The user system recognizes that it followed the post-link, though and therefore shows it on the active users page :wine:

It weird though.

IPB can clearly detect these bots, but then why not tailor the page for them?

i.e get rid of unneccessary bits of HTML in the style sheets, remove the buttons that shouldn't be there, don't log Googlebot as posting, etc.

It would save us bandwidth and Googlebot time.

Haha, that's funny.

I think, though, that the technical reasons for this behaviour might be the fact that Googlebot is a spider which follows any link on a webpage, and therefore also the "posting" link - but since it can't perform POST-requests (sending the Post-FORM), it won't complete the posting action. The user system recognizes that it followed the post-link, though and therefore shows it on the active users page :wine:

I believe your hunch is right, Malte :P

@Chris:

SKYNET is from the Terminator movies. It is a computer program that the humans let control of all their weapons systems and then it turns out that it is a 'virus' and takes their weapons of the US and fires them at several countires across the world then causing all the others to fire back. Nuclear warefare kills millions of people and then the machines start to take over and are made in the automated factories. Those are the Terminators that you see in the movies.