Sprichst du Deutsch?

Hui, ich glaube, dies ist das erste Mal, dass ich im WFG-Forum etwas in Deutsch schreibe :P

Da ich in Deutschland lebe und aufgewachsen bin, spreche ich Deutsch, seit ich überhaupt sprechen kann.

Ich finde es sehr interessant, dass anscheinend eine ganze Menge Personen hier im Forum sich mit Deutsch als Fremdsprache beschäftigen (oder beschäftigt haben) - uns wird hier immer erzählt, dass kein Mensch Deutsch lernen will, weil die Sprache so schwer sei... aber anscheinend ist die Annahme falsch :)

Falls irgendjemand Hilfe mit Hausaufgaben oder so in Deutsch brauchen kann, bin ich gerne bereit, zu helfen... natürlich auch, falls jemand nur einmal ein bisschen "sprechen" will. Ah, und falls ich Fehler korrigieren soll, sagt es...

Und, @Adam: Du sprichst nicht nur ein "bisschen" Deutsch, sondern ziemlich gut für einen nicht-Muttersprachler :)!

---

Translation:

Wow, I think this is the first time I'm writing something in German into the WFG forums :P

Since I'm living in Germany and have been born there as well, I'm speaking German ever since I'm able to speak.

I think it's very interesting that obviously quite some people in here are studying (or have been studying) German - we are often told over here that nobody wants to learn German because the language is quite hard to learn.... but it seems like that assumption is wrong.

In case anyone could use assistance with German homework, coursework or something like that, I'll gladly offer to assist him/her... of course, also if someone only wants to "speak" a little German for fun. Ah, and if you want me to correct your mistakes, tell me...

And, @Adam: You're not only speaking "a little bit" of German, but rather good for a non-native speaker :)!

Ja ich spreche deutsch, aber es ist nicht so gut. Ich habe deutsch fur drie jahren gelernt.  Ich muss meine deutsch fur dem regents....um wie spricht man "practice" auf deutsch. Das regents gefallt mir nicht!

What do you mean by "regents" ("Regenten" means rulers like kings or dukes in German, but I believe that's hardly what you want to say :wine:)? "Practice" is "Übung" in German.

I learnt German when I was at school, but that was too long ago :P

I can remember a few things though ... and I enjoy watching the news on German channels ... bliss morgen :P and when I went to Switzerland, I could understand quite a bit of what was said ...

Hehe, nice to hear that. When I went to France during the last autumn vacation, I met some people who spoke some German. Some of them were older people, some were younger students; but the majority did only speak English and Italic or Spanish.

Besides, I guess your German is probably better than my French :P

The regents is a test that I think only New York takes, they have it for every subject and if you fail you have to take the course over, its really dumb.

I see. Well, tests aren't an uncommon pratice at school, but it sounds like that one is a centralized check of your achievements?

P.S. Please correct my german. It's not very good.

It's quite good considering you're not a native speaker. Still, as you wish, I'm correcting your mistakes:

Um meine Schule haben wir Deutsch, Französisch und Spanisch.

Only a spelling thing - it's "An meiner Schule" ("at my school", indicating the location here), not "Um".

Ich habe das Französisch ist blöd gedenkt.

Sorry, I had to laugh on that one. Don't make it that difficult - it's much easier to say "Ich dachte mir, dass Französisch blöd ist." (simple "Imperfekt" tense, also note the pronoun "mir", which indicates who thought it).

Und ich mag Spanisch nicht.

Bravo, correct! :wine:

Also, ich habe Deutsch genommen.

Word order - this sentence isn't wrong in a sense of language, but nobody would say it like that. Rather, we'd say "Also habe ich Deutsch genommen.".

@Argalius: Well, at least something :P

Ja, Adam. Ich kenne den französisch Lerher und er ist blöd und hat viele Haare. Als ein Affe hat!

Also, ich habe Deutsch genommen.

Our German books have these interviews with "native speakers" and the example had the person being interviewed saying " Also, ich..."

I bet you find this as funny as I find the "Learn to Speak English" programs on the Spanish channel. :wine:

Edited by Black Knight

Our German books have these interviews with "native speakers" and the example had the person being interviewed saying " Also, ich..."

Hehe, well, it isn't grammatically wrong - the problem is that "also" can mean a lot of things in German. In this case, you wanted to express a consequence of something, and in that case, you do not seperate the "also" and the rest of the sentence with a comma. You can do that if you want to say something to the direction of "Well, it happened ten years ago..." and you start to tell a story. It's a "starting word" for a longer explanation like "well" in that particular case.

Oh, and another little mistake in your last post (the whole first sentence is correct):

Als ein Affe hat!

"Als" is a word of comparison here ("than"), so you either need "mehr" ("more") or you need to say "Wie ein Affe." ("Like a monkey").

Fire Giant,

Can you give me some examples of your dialect versus Hochdeutsch. I was reading a book and the one charachter was speaking Schwäbnisch and it was nothing like what I've learned.

Hmm, that's a little problematic, since I'm not a dialect speaker - in fact, I've grown up with Hochdeutsch, which is considered to be slowly superseeding the local dialects in our modern society. Also, I've no real idea of what's the difference between "Schwäbisch" and my language - since I've never been to an area where people speak that dialect.

I can tell you, though, that the Bavarian dialect is quite different from our language in the norther parts of Germany - they have a very different pronounciation down there and also use different words for many things (like "Semmeln" instead of "Brötchen" [means: roll], "Grüß Gott" instead of "Moin, Moin" [a greeting formula, the first literally means "Greet God" while the second is just an abbreviation for "good morning"] and "Matura" instead of "Abitur" [which both mean the German final exam after 13 years of school]; yes, they even have words which we don't have an equivalent for up here: "heuer" [meaning: this year] is just one example). Also, there is a dialect called "Platt" in the northern coastal areas of Germany, which is a colorful mixture of German, English, Dutch and Scandinavian languages, but only few people are still learning and practicing that dialect.

Ich hatte dieses jahre mein deutsch examen, dan muss ich deutsch reden uber ganz uninterresante sachen  :P

Hehe, but I wouldn't consider my english exams to be too interesting, too :P

By the way isn`t the title of this topic suppost to be; sprechen Sie deutsch?
I was being informal, which I felt was more fitting of this forum. :wine:

As said, the difference between "Sie" and "Du" in German is much of a matter of politeness and formality - "Sie" is being used for talking to (other) adults and people you don't know too well, while "du" is used for personal conversations and also became the general way of speaking in German speaking areas on the Internet. Besides, I personally prefer "du" over "Sie", since I'm not yet that old and it always gives me a shudder if someone refers to me as "Sie" - I simply don't feel like that right now :P

und es ist das Internet :P

Exactly.

• 2 weeks later...

Hier ist eine Papier für meine Deutsche Fach:

Liebe Vater und Mutter,

Ich habe in den Ferien so viel gemacht  Ich habe mit Alecia, Briteny und Amy Deutschland und die Schweiz besucht.

Zuerst haben wir Hamburg besucht. Dort haben wir Flounder und Hamburgsuppe gegessen.Dann haben wir die Oper und auch den Fischmarkt besichtigt. Danach haben wir den Pause gemacht, wir sind nach Frankfurt gefahren.

In Frankfurt haben wir alles gemacht  Echt nicht, aber wir haben viel gemacht. Wir haben den Dom und den Zeil besichtigt. Auf dem Zeil haben wir eingekauft. Wir sind auch im Goethehaus und im Goethehausmuseum gewesen. In Restaurant haben wir Zwiebelkuchen gegessen. Er war sehr gut.

Unser Zug war spät (Das ist ja unglaubisch ), also sind wir mit dem Auto nach München gefahren. Dort haben wir nach Oktoberfest gegangen. Wir haben viel getrunken  Aber alle Alkohol-Frei. Wir haben Brezelen und Bratwürste gegessen.

Letze haben wir nach Zurich in der Schweiz gefahren.Am Zurichsee haben wir spatziert und auch haben wir geseglet. Wir haben gut Schockolade, viel sehr gut Shockolade  Dann habe ich eine Uhr gekauft. Sie gefällt mir.

Alles gut hier,

Daniel Dvorjak

How did I do? Can you please point out mistakes?

As said, the difference between "Sie" and "Du" in German is much of a matter of politeness and formality - "Sie" is being used for talking to (other) adults and people you don't know too well, while "du" is used for personal conversations and also became the general way of speaking in German speaking areas on the Internet. Besides, I personally prefer "du" over "Sie", since I'm not yet that old and it always gives me a shudder if someone refers to me as "Sie" - I simply don't feel like that right now

Like English "thou" and "you", then. It's a shame the informal 2nd person sg. English pronoun has been lost and isn't pereceived as informal anymore B)

The other day I spent 1 hour with a German grammar for beginners. All I learned was the bit about having only one syntactical group (I don't know the English technical word for Spanish "sintagma") in front of the main verb. Also, I finally found out why I couldn't recognize any plural forms when I saw a German text ;)

Next day I go to the library I think I'll pick an Old High German grammar. It's always better to start from the beginning ;)

Hier ist eine Papier für meine Deutsche Fach:

How did I do? Can you please point out mistakes?

You did quite good, but there's still some flaws in it - as you asked me, I'll point them out (but I don't have much time to explain them in detail), so here's a corrected version with minimal explanations:

Lieber Vater und Mutter,

Ich habe in den Ferien so viel gemacht  Ich habe mit Alecia, Briteny und Amy Deutschland und die Schweiz besucht.

Zuerst haben wir Hamburg besucht. Dort haben wir Flunder (spelling) und Hamburger Suppe (spelling) gegessen. Dann haben wir die Oper und auch den Fischmarkt besichtigt. Danach haben wir eine (indefinite article instead of definite article here) Pause gemacht und danach (style) sind wir (word order) nach Frankfurt gefahren.

In Frankfurt haben wir nicht alles gemacht (I suppose you meant "we didn't do everything, really" - you've got to use this kind of negation there), aber wir haben viel gemacht. Wir haben den Dom und den Zeil besichtigt. Auf dem Zeil haben wir eingekauft. Wir waren (tense) auch im Goethehaus und im Goethehausmuseum. In Restaurant haben wir Zwiebelkuchen gegessen. Er war sehr gut.

Unser Zug war spät (Das ist ja unglaublich (spelling)), also sind wir mit dem Auto nach München gefahren. Dort sind wir zum (tense/preposition) Oktoberfest gegangen. Wir haben viel getrunken, aber nur alkoholfrei (spelling/style). Wir haben Brezeln (spelling) und Bratwürste gegessen.

Zuletzt sind (tense, and different auxiliary verb) wir nach Zürich in der Schweiz gefahren. Am Zürichsee sind wir spazieren gegangen ("spazieren" alone doesn't exist, it only work in conjunction with "gehen")und wir sind auch (word order/aux. verb) gesegelt (spelling). Wir haben gute Schokolade, viel sehr gute Schokolade (I don't understand what you're trying to express here!). Dann habe ich eine Uhr gekauft. Sie gefällt mir.

Hier ist alles gut or better: Alles Gute (formal gretting),

Daniel Dvorjak

Don't hesistate to ask if you'd like the get some particular point explained - I just don't have enough time to write explanations for every one.