Looking for speaker contributor/speaker

Hi! I'm Daniel, current president of the student association of GUL UC3M (gul.es, sorry, we don't have an english version) an association focused on the promotion of open-source software.

TL;DR: We are going to organise a videogame open-source event in late April (jamon.gul.es) and we would love to have someone talking and sharing about 0 A.D.

- Long version

In 2018 we organised a game-jam called GUL Jamón (jamon.gul.es/2018) with only open-source software. It was only not a game-jam but also a week of training in Pygame and Godot. The event was quite a success and we want to repeat this year but given it a little twist focusing on talks rather than a game-jam due to the pandemic. This new edition will be called "GUL Jamón - Charleta Edition" which will be something like "GUL Jamón - Small Talk Edition".

This edition is planned to be on 19-21 of April, between 15:00-19:00 (GMT+1). It will be completely online and free for everyone. I am creating this post to look for someone willing to participate in the event, and give a talk/workshop about 0 A.D.

Thanks for your time!

PS: Ideally I would love if the speaker know spanish because we try to promote all our content in spanish, as in english there is resources for almost  everything but not in spanish. However it won't be an impediment because we will be in an university environment so everyone should know english.

• Like 5

Hi Daniel!

I had no idea GUL's were an international thing! Thank you so much for reaching out.

I would be okay for taking part in that event of yours under the form of a presentation of your choosing. A workshop might be a bit tricky to do, but it is possible as well depending on how complex it needs to be.

Unfortunately I don't know any Spanish (I'm french), but I can get the presentation translated by people on the forums and sent to you :)

I would definitely do it in English, though.

Regards,

Stan

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't know about other countries, but in Spain is quite common to have an student association or a department at the university strongly related with open-source software/hardware. However we rarely talk to each other nor organise event as a group xDD

We (as association) usually operates in the enviroment of our university (Universidad Carlos III de Madrid) and sometimes we participate in other events from other universities but is not very common.

I'll reach you through private message, thank you!!

• Like 1

On 16/03/2022 at 6:35 PM, Daniel-GULUC3M said:

Hi! I'm Daniel, current president of the student association of GUL UC3M (gul.es, sorry, we don't have an english version) an association focused on the promotion of open-source software.

TL;DR: We are going to organise a videogame open-source event in late April (jamon.gul.es) and we would love to have someone talking and sharing about 0 A.D.

- Long version

In 2018 we organised a game-jam called GUL Jamón (jamon.gul.es/2018) with only open-source software. It was only not a game-jam but also a week of training in Pygame and Godot. The event was quite a success and we want to repeat this year but given it a little twist focusing on talks rather than a game-jam due to the pandemic. This new edition will be called "GUL Jamón - Charleta Edition" which will be something like "GUL Jamón - Small Talk Edition".

This edition is planned to be on 19-21 of April, between 15:00-19:00 (GMT+1). It will be completely online and free for everyone. I am creating this post to look for someone willing to participate in the event, and give a talk/workshop about 0 A.D.

Thanks for your time!

PS: Ideally I would love if the speaker know spanish because we try to promote all our content in spanish, as in english there is resources for almost  everything but not in spanish. However it won't be an impediment because we will be in an university environment so everyone should know english.

Jamon -_-

Funny story for the non spanish-speakers about the name.

"Game Jam" is usually called "Game JamOn" in Spain, which are 3 words: "Game, Jam and On", because in spanish "JamOn" means "ham" in english.

When we first thought about the 2018 game jam, I asked "what is the meaning of 'jam'" (because i didn't remember at the time), someone said "jamón" (ham), nobody corrected that person, we thought that a ham would be funny in the logo and we chose that name.

Weeks later I realised, not only that "jamon" in english was not "jam" but "Ham", but that in Spain people usually call the game jams "game jam-on"! A funny name I thought original was not only but another name to the list of endless game jams called "jam-on" XDD

Edited by Daniel-GULUC3M
"spanish-speakers" no, "non spanish-speakers"
  • Like 1