Can we have a large banner to show "Defeated" or "Won"?

@maroder

https://code.wildfiregames.com/D4598

\art\textures\ui\session\icons\endgame\bg_victory_mace.png

bg_victory_mace.thumb.png.656d6576301806d875f1a0b8ab50344b.png

\art\textures\ui\session\icons\endgame\bg_defeat_mace.png

bg_defeat_mace.thumb.png.4e062c77afe1700a33d0a7065224a25a.png

Can be:

bg_victory_athen

bg_victory_brit

bg_defeat_athen

bg_defeat_brit

Or whatever format you'd want for the files.

I can work with @Lion.Kanzen to make an appropriate design for each civ, which can mirror the designs we use for the civ-specific minimap textures.

I can bake the skull and laurel into the textures, or they can be called as separate objects in the code. Up to you.

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

@maroder

https://code.wildfiregames.com/D4598

\art\textures\ui\session\icons\endgame\bg_victory_mace.png

bg_victory_mace.thumb.png.656d6576301806d875f1a0b8ab50344b.png

\art\textures\ui\session\icons\endgame\bg_defeat_mace.png

bg_defeat_mace.thumb.png.4e062c77afe1700a33d0a7065224a25a.png

Can be:

bg_victory_athen

bg_victory_brit

bg_defeat_athen

bg_defeat_brit

Or whatever format you'd want for the files.

I can work with @Lion.Kanzen to make an appropriate design for each civ, which can mirror the designs we use for the civ-specific minimap textures.

I can bake the skull and laurel into the textures, or they can be called as separate objects in the code. Up to you.

I'm going to do the illustration. Im in the city (I return).

As long as there is no skilled digital painting artist around who wants to put in some serious hours I don't think there is much value in discussing something in that direction. And even if there were such a person, I would like them to do some more main menu backgrounds first :)

________

I have no strong opinion on banner vs civ emblem. Banner seems easier art wise, as you only have to do one, but the civ specific, result-colored emblems have a bit more expression. 

But I am not really a fan of the idea to have the banner be the player color tho (seems like a decent chance to get some atrocious looking results, especially when using mods that change the player colors), or to have a quick summary or stats displayed there. Maybe I will change my mind in the future but right now a clear division between the endgame message and the summary feels better to me.

_______

about the files: naming doesn't matter as long as it's consistent, so whatever seems sensible.

And baking the icons on top or not: I guess it would save a bit of code if they are together but it shouldn't matter that much. Keeping them separate would allow easier improvement of the individual parts in the future.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, maroder said:

the civ specific, result-colored emblems have a bit more expression. 

Yeah, I was trying for something "flashy" with some emotive colors. If we could have animations or sfx a nice flash/glowing effect would be cool too, but static it is for now.

20 minutes ago, maroder said:

about the files: naming doesn't matter as long as it's consistent, so whatever seems sensible.

Alright! Is the civ-specificity difficult to add? 

21 minutes ago, maroder said:

And baking the icons on top or not: I guess it would save a bit of code if they are together but it shouldn't matter that much. Keeping them separate would allow easier improvement of the individual parts in the future.

Separate then. :) 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Alright! Is the civ-specificity difficult to add?

No, should not be too difficult. 

Until we have them for all civs we can also just use one as a placeholder and them add them one by one.

Edited by maroder

35 minutes ago, maroder said:

No, should not be too difficult. 

Until we have them for all civs we can also just use one as a placeholder and them add them one by one.

Right. Can one be designated as a "default" or "generic" one as a fallback if there is no civ-specific one? I'm thinking for mods here (not specifically DE, but others).

7 hours ago, maroder said:

As long as there is no skilled digital painting artist around who wants to put in some serious hours I don't think there is much value in discussing something in that direction. And even if there were such a person, I would...

is worth dreaming...

I would still like to make a kind of monument with banners and decorations.

----

Golden civic emblem!

Parade style. in ancient times there were weapons and armory for fashion purposes.

______

we all agree with:

There should be a shield.

the crown of victory 

and some banners.

Edited by Lion.Kanzen

On 09/04/2022 at 9:11 AM, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

jRql1A0.jpg

I suggest:

• The map snaps to the coordinates of the winning action. Unfortunately, often times the winning action is off screen.
  • The map view slowly rotates in place until a choice is made and one of the buttons clicked.
  • A cheering sound accompany the music.
  • All 3 buttons be the same width (probably dynamic width based on the longest string)

The Defeat dialogue would be red glow instead of blue. Inverted colors for the text.

oK0pTpk.jpg

These concepts seem fine to me, don't think I'd vote for the flags or monument options.

• 5 months later...