Can we have a large banner to show "Defeated" or "Won"?

Hi, i was just playing this game, and I was a Age of Empires II player, one thing is cool and good to have is a banner (large enough in the middle of the game screen), that shows "Defeated" or "Won" while the game ended, instead of little text indicates who won or lose.

I love this game so much, the graphic performance is crazy good, and the good game play. And It even take 2s to open the game on Mac.

Edited by rkt
  • Like 5

• rkt changed the title to Can we have a large banner to show "Defeated" or "Won"?

Possibly something similar to what Unity previously had (deprecated in favor of video player). MovieTextures. C++ would be doing the same, but for the GUI pages, it results in a nicer framework.

Also, existing animations itself could be moved into C++ with a new paradigm that replicates CSS3. Instead of translating onTick, you just change the position and define a duration for all position changes. The actual translating would be internalised and not done in JS tick functions.

Probably a nicer GUI system for page design.

The CSS3 animation system can be realised in 0AD just via mods without engine changes, so maybe something fun for one of the interested GUI mod developers here.

Edited by smiley

• 3 weeks later...
On 05/04/2022 at 6:56 AM, Stan` said:

Since you can draw mockups are welcome :)

jRql1A0.jpg

I suggest:

• The map snaps to the coordinates of the winning action. Unfortunately, often times the winning action is off screen.
  • The map view slowly rotates in place until a choice is made and one of the buttons clicked.
  • A cheering sound accompany the music.
  • All 3 buttons be the same width (probably dynamic width based on the longest string)

The Defeat dialogue would be red glow instead of blue. Inverted colors for the text.

oK0pTpk.jpg

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone
  • Like 4

a few comments:

the blue looks a bit too much neon like for me. maybe something a bit more muted or maybe a gold/ "light"-like color?

and I know it's just a mock-up, but the laurel wreath is a bit too much icon/comic like imo. I can imagine that a bigger more realistic variant (maybe also in gold/metal color) could even be used around the whole circle?

2 hours ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

The map snaps to the coordinates of the winning action. Unfortunately, often times the winning action is off screen.

Then it becomes a problem to define what that actions is, which I think is quite hard.

Other question: should it display the civ or the player name?

I this should be easy enough to do, provided the art is there and minus the map rotation/snap to winning action. One problem could be that there is right now no text available that is that big.

Edited by maroder

1 hour ago, maroder said:

he blue looks a bit too much neon like for me. maybe something a bit more muted or maybe a gold/ "ligh

The blue was originally more "muted", but the whole point is to add more drama. Could try some other colors though.

and I know it's just a mock-up, but the laurel wreath is a bit too much icon/comic like imo. I can imagine that a bigger more realistic variant (maybe also in gold/metal color) could even be used around the whole circle?

Someone good in blender could render a nice golden laurel wreath for that purpose. But the small icon here was meant to mirror the skull in the defeated mockup-both icons being the actual win and loss icons used in game. 

Then it becomes a problem to define what that actions is, which I think is quite hard.

It's simply the action which triggers the win/lose event.

Other question: should it display the civ or the player name

I had it originally saying "You are Victorious" and "You are Defeated," but I reworded them to fit the icons in the middle. Honestly it could go either way! I have no strong opinion. It would be nice to have custom civ icons as I have the Macedonian Vergina Star in this mockup. Would mirror the custom civ minimap backgrounds, tying things together. 

One problem could be that there is right now no text available t

Right. A new font sheet would need to be rendered for sure, or whatever you call it. ;)

Other question: should it display the civ or the player name?

Might be player name, but then it's always your own name you see here, so not of much value either.

I this should be easy enough to do, provided the art is there and minus the map rotation/snap to winning action. One problem could be that there is right now no text available that is that big.

A font bitmap could be added for now and anyway font rendering is on it's way, not unlikely to make it into a27.

Getting the rotation to work is the same as being able to animate, so might be worth doing it in a prototype. There is already an api for driving the camera as suggested by @wowgetoffyourcellphone IIRC. The snap is indeed not well defined with winning action, could fall back to original location of last/former CC instead.

------

What about player resignations in team games?

On 15/03/2022 at 4:06 AM, Stan` said:

I think it could be nice as an option. @Langbart I don't think it's really hard to code? Just a guinterface call to show something at the end of the match right?

@Lion.Kanzen We probably need some concepts and ideas. Sadly we can't have any kind of animation as the engine doesn't support it as far as I'm aware @vladislavbelov

I was thinking of a drawing.

Similar to icon crown and skull in statistics but more epic.

A big drawing. Don't be but something that gives this feeling.

Screenshot_20220312-101347.png.6d2af1c42a3857a9a5204b86f3ff7d92.png

2 分钟前,Lion.Kanzen 说:

我在想一幅画。

类似于统计中的图标皇冠和头骨,但更具史诗性。

一张大图。 不要只是给人这种感觉的东西。

截图_20220312-101347.png.6d2af1c42a3857a9a5204b86f3ff7d92.png

In the event of victory, it can be an image of soldiers cheering with arms raised or flags in their hands. If defeated, it is a dying picture of a soldier falling to the ground badly wounded, with a weapon or flag slipping from his hand.
The appearance of soldiers and flags can vary depending on the faction.

16 minutes ago, AIEND said:

In the event of victory, it can be an image of soldiers cheering with arms raised or flags in their hands. If defeated, it is a dying picture of a soldier falling to the ground badly wounded, with a weapon or flag slipping from his hand.
The appearance of soldiers and flags can vary depending on the faction.

Yes, I have some ideas but I don't know the technical part.