Open Grave

andy5995

2 minutes ago, andy5995 said:

This is a random map I started working on. Should I do more with it?

Or to be more clear, should I finish it? It's just a "concept" map right now and not very refined. Artistically it could be improved I think, if I had any intention of making a playable, complete map with it.

14 hours ago, Freagarach said:

You might want to make the map square, since you don't use its circularity?

After I do more with it, I think it'll make sense for it to be circular; but thanks for the suggestion.

13 hours ago, smiley said:

Square maps were kinda deemed legacy and all new maps are preferred to be made circular according to the former maintainer of the random maps. Also, since the space is dead anyway, no need to have an extra 4/PI area for the sake of it.

Square or rectangular maps are fun to play sometimes. Especially for new players I think, because you're more likely to have to worry about what's only in front of you, instead of all around your sides. I can't really speak for a lot of people, but it seems that Latium is one of the more popular maps (and it's square, rectangular land with lakes along the side). I made a few square/rectangular maps for the cm2 mod

Mainland Rectangled and Yekaterinaville ; one advantage they have over Latium, imo, is that the biome can be changed.

I don't think the dead space in the map preview is a big deal. A pretty low-priority bug. The map preview window is already square with a round thing in the middle, so it seems that if anyone ever wanted to have it change to a square within a square for square maps, it wouldn't  be a big change.

The code base already supports square maps... it might be more work to remove it, and all the square maps in vanilla. I think it's good to have square maps as an option.

13 hours ago, smiley said:

Those stretched textures on cliffs are ugly as hell. I wonder if repeating the texture without stretching it would look any better. Alternatively, make it so that the stretched texture looks more natural I guess.

Thanks for the feedback. I'd like to improve them if  possible. Could you point me to an example from an existing map in the distribution that does something like that? Or tell me how? The code I'm using for cliff painting right now is just

g_Map.log("Painting cliffs");
createArea(
	new MapBoundsPlacer(),
	[
		new TerrainPainter(g_Terrains.cliff),
		new TileClassPainter(clHill),
	],
	[
		new SlopeConstraint(1, Infinity)
	]);

Edited by andy5995

4 hours ago, real_tabasco_sauce said:

Looks fun! How would the teams be arranged on this map? I would hate to be sandwiched in the middle down there.

I'm not sure yet about player arrangement. I'll get more feedback about that when I get more to completing the map.

In the meantime, I'll make some escape ramps like this so you and your traders will have less to worry about.

screenshot0019.png

• Like 1

15 hours ago, andy5995 said:

I'd like to improve them if  possible

Doesn't have anything to do with map generation, so out of scope for the map script.

The reasoning presented back then was that square maps look more unnatural, sharp corners provide an unfair advantage, there is unequal distribution of area and they are around 27% larger than the equivalent circular map. To be honest, I don't really care and I highly doubt the original proposer cares either.

Edited by smiley
  • Thanks 1