I have an idea for a new computer game

I will detail the game:

I am interested in building a game of maritime trade in the period of the last century between ports in countries:
Start with a small ship and a small amount of money to buy, transport and sell goods such as: wheat, fruit, liquor, water, and the like. Depending on the prices of the goods advertised in the ports in the different countries in order to maximize the profit from their sale.
You can also transport goods, other people's luggage from port to port for a freight charge only.
When a suitable naval crew has to be purchased for the operation and protection of the ship against pirates and if you encounter and overpower the pirate ship, you can take all the booty of the ship.
When you accumulate enough money, you can buy more advanced and modern ships, for transport in larger quantities and I have more protection against pirates.
Must be in the game: map of the ports in the world, weather forecast and storms at sea, sailing days between each port and port.

On 10/03/2022 at 5:49 PM, maortov said:

I will detail the game:

I am interested in building a game of maritime trade in the period of the last century between ports in countries:
Start with a small ship and a small amount of money to buy, transport and sell goods such as: wheat, fruit, liquor, water, and the like. Depending on the prices of the goods advertised in the ports in the different countries in order to maximize the profit from their sale.
You can also transport goods, other people's luggage from port to port for a freight charge only.
When a suitable naval crew has to be purchased for the operation and protection of the ship against pirates and if you encounter and overpower the pirate ship, you can take all the booty of the ship.
When you accumulate enough money, you can buy more advanced and modern ships, for transport in larger quantities and I have more protection against pirates.
Must be in the game: map of the ports in the world, weather forecast and storms at sea, sailing days between each port and port.

The engine of 0ad wouldn't be my first choice for creating such a game.

If you want to create a game, you actually need to do a lot of art design and (possibly) coding. It is not as easy as having a nice idea and someone is able to pull it of.

My advice for creating a game would be one of these options:

1. Look for a game and try to make mod it. Examples are the Enderall mod for skyrim or the Lord of the rings mod for age of empires.

Pros: You can use assets of the original game and it requires less work or programming skills.

Cons: Often the game is proprietary. The original game engine can not easily be adapted and you might not be able to do what you envisioned in the engine. Also it is not easy to determine which game is suitable for your needs.

2. Use a game engine that is designed to allow new game developers to create a new project. Examples of these engines are Gamemaker studio or the Unity engine. The unity engine also comes with a lot of tutorials.

Pros: These engines can be downloaded for free, they often have tutorials and can allow for a lot of game mechanics.

Cons: This approach requires a lot more skill than the previous one and work.

I would recommend looking for some tutorials on youtube.

Links

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1272363891

https://unity.com/

• Like 1

On 10/03/2022 at 5:49 PM, maortov said:

I will detail the game:

i mean every game with ships and sailing offers trading and has pirates

your wholesome idea is nothing special and most importantly nothing new

and if you want to code game, code it yourself

even if you create a team of volunteers who will work for you for FREE im sure the project will be a mess and team will disband sooner or later

gamedev is not easy, and successful games follow formula: do it like competition, but slightly different.

thus soldier-workers in 0ad

Edited by bad player