The Original 0 AD

Caesar

Hi, I have decided to bring back the original 0 AD idea which was a modification for Age Of Empires II. Many people think AoK is dead, but in fact several large projects are currently underway at the AoKH forum. My mod, Clash of Empires, focuses on the civilizations and cultures in the timespan of 1500 BC to 500 AD. I anticipate the release of 0 AD, but while I'm waiting this will have to do :P .

I was wondering if any of the 0 AD staff has any advice or suggestions for me. I apreciate any comments for my mod,

Thank You

Yeah, I've been watching your thread since you started :P Its an ambitious project!

I was wondering if any of the 0 AD staff has any advice or suggestions for me.

Hmm, were to begin. I guess the biggest thing I would advise you about is to just step back and consider the massive size and complexity of the project your setting out to do. Single civ set conversion (like RaW) is hard, but your talking about doing not just one but 5! Thats huge man. Not only do have you have all that building art, but you could potentially have thousands of slp frames to edit for units. Not to mention the UI graphical changes, and now with philip's new tool - the ability to change units stats.

Personally, I don't love AoK that much to make a mod anymore, but... there are those (like yourself) who do. So, here is what I would suggest:

• Use as much of the origional AoK art as possible (especially the units). Use AoE units when possible (though they are a bit smaller). I would also use modified SWGB art, some would work nicely (like the Naboo)
  • Break up your project in minigoals (probably per civ set), so you can see your achievements and have some feeling of accomplishment. If you do a little dabbling here and a little there, its easy to loose focus and get discouraged by the massive ammount of work yet to be done.
  • Keep your team small, you don't want to spend your time managing people - your time is better spent with a small group of people who know what they are doing and do it quickly.
  • Save walls (construction and deconstruction is a killer) and town center (anchor points are pain in the butt) for last.
  • Don't waste time discussing what you want to do or debating with people what you should do. Concentrate your time on the mod itself. Talk is cheep, take action.
  • Don't make publicized release dates unless you have done 75% of the work.

Not sure if this will help you at all, but here is some documents for you that are 4.5 years old! Yikes, time flies.

0adaok.zip