Friendly Fire for Ranged Units

@alre
Ah! If you already have an updated version of my old work that's even better!

And you are correct, without synergistic changes to other stats, the effects of directional armor might be pretty miniscule. But, there are other ways to amplify it besides nerfing rotation speed, if you don't want to risk degrading unit responsiveness.

It should definitely have an amplifying interaction with friendly fire damage, provided your ranged units have enough attack spread to friendly fire. ;)

Edited by ChronA

I can't seem to find @ChronA's mod, which I was sure I had installed. anyway, this one attached should be the tentative one I realised. Notice that friendly fire is not turned on, and at first, I was skeptic about it, but I have to admit that if I think about it now, I think I realised that the directional armor+ff combo would be a hard reset for 0 AD meta, without any form of the "melee on front, ranged behind" tactic, which would be for the best probably. Only problem is the forced extra micro, I think it's unfair to punish macro-managers and newbies making their men kill each other.

directional-damage.zip

• Thanks 1

On 1/5/2022 at 12:46 PM, alre said:

attack code is pretty simple, one of these days I can upload a mod that introduces directional armor, which is based on a previous mod by @ChronA. his mod is for A24, mine is for A25. in any case, we are talking about a few changes to javascript code.

edit: I may add that I never advertised my mod because I wasn't satisfied with the result. units in 0AD rotate quickly and suddenly, and it's hard to appreciate the effect of directional damage.

There are upcoming changes in a26 that make formations move much more smoothly. Perhaps the pikemen frontal armor directional damage could be added for that formation (syntagma?) and that way it might have a controllable and counterable effect on gameplay depending on how the formation behaves.

12 hours ago, BreakfastBurrito_007 said:

There are upcoming changes in a26 that make formations move much more smoothly. Perhaps the pikemen frontal armor directional damage could be added for that formation (syntagma?) and that way it might have a controllable and counterable effect on gameplay depending on how the formation behaves.

no. way more radical changes to formations would be needed for that, otherwise it's like charging in the A25 RCs.