Airbus A380

(:P

Today in Toulouse (where I work and live), the new Airbus plane was shown to the public after years of development.

Several Heads of States and CEOs were there. It lasted for a few hours, but eventually, it turned up on TV :P

for further information, click here.

It really is impressive!

Can you imagine? 24 meters high (72ft), 80 meters long (240ft) and 80 meters of wing span (240ft) ... one engine is as wide as a 737 aircraft ... it can host as many as 555 people and up to 800 ...

I am proud today to be in the region where it has been made. :P

It probably takes something in the order of $150,00-200,000 US to fuel that sucker up. And he'll burn a lot of that taking off :P 800 people, that is massive. I don't believe that the C-5 Galaxy, Antonov 224, or other large transport aircraft can carry that many. The Russians did build a monster ground-effect aircraft that could carry 1000 troops, but it only flew a few feet above the water (as was designed).

The A380 is a truely amazing airplane and I can't wait to see one :P Better yet catch a ride on one :P Three classes: first, business, and economy, that has to be a first in modern air travel. Plus all the components and control features are the same on all Airbus aircraft, meaning that conversion from A310s, 320s, 330s, and 340s will be a snap. My dad is an aircraft mechanic and he says that Airbus definately considers the AMEs when designing their airplanes.

Well Boeing has better get on the ball now, what with the 7E7 being cancelled.

the A380 is a relatively economic aircraft, using as little as 3 liters of fuel per passenger per 100km ... that is a lot less than the 747 for instance ...

I have been just at the foot of that aircraft this afternoon, after work ... I could not resist. They opened the site to the public after it was unveiled for the officials ... it was really massive ... but of course, photography prohibited. I had taken my camera in my jacket in case, but they clearly said it was FORBIDDEN ... whatever :P

You feel like a dwarf in front of it. I have taken 747s several times, but this one ... good lord, it seems it is twice as big as the 747 (but it is not obviously) ... whenever you guys come to France for a trip, come to Toulouse, and we'll go to the Airbus site to have a private visit (with my cousin who works on it) :P

well, the French are proud enough ... do not tempt me in being more arrogant than an American person :P (JUST KIDDING !!!! NO NEED TO REPLY !!!!! )

Nah, to be honest, the Viaduc of Millau (70 miles from my hometown) is nto only a French project ... it is in France, true, but the architect is English ... and as for Airbus (40 miles from my hometown), it is even worse .. the project is French, German, English and Spanish, but many American companies provide Airbus with things ...

Actually, the French are just lucky that these two projects are made in France.

It gives a good image of engineering France all over the world :P

I heard today that Canadian companies built the landing gears for the A380. Was it Bombardier for the nose gear and Goodyear for the wing gears? ;) I guess they also have to adapt all kinds of airports so this guy can land, too. Definitely a cool airplane. ;)

Cheers,

Mr.C

(;)

Good Year made the gears ... but in the near future, Bridgestone may do some as well ...

As for the Millau Bridge, I am going to Marseille to visit some friends in March, and I will surely take the bridge. I will take some pics when I am there.

In the winter, when it is foggy, the bridge looks like floating in the air, above the clouds ... really impressive.

(;)

well, the modifying is a detail really ... San Francisco or LA announced a $400 million bill for midifications, but an independent agency said that it would not be more than $120 million (a lot for us, but not that much for huge airports ;) )

Singapore for instance is only going to spend $20 million because the facilities are new enough, whereas in older airports like London or NY, the bill will be higher because the runways are older too ...

Several Heads of States and CEOs were there. It lasted for a few hours, but eventually, it turned up on TV :P

for further information, click here.

I am proud today to be in the region where it has been made.  :P

Yepp, Schröder was there, too. I saw the ceremony on TV, and as being an Airbus fan (see below), I was very glad to see the baby is finally constructed :P

whenever you guys come to France for a trip, come to Toulouse, and we'll go to the Airbus site to have a private visit (with my cousin who works on it) :P
the project is French, German, English and Spanish...

Right, the cabin installations and inner parts of the plane are being made in Hamburg, about 20 km from my home, on a large Airbus area in the low-land around the Elbe river. There were some quarrels about the planned extension of the runway, and some farmers living near to the Airbus site refused to give away their land for the runway extension, but in the end, the government managed to "convince" them to sell it (well, I guess they simply couldn't resist the enormous amounts of money any more :P). So everything's great now, and A380 will come to Hamburg in 2006.

Most people here in Hamburg are really proud of Airbus, and I have to admit that I am, too. I haven't been to the Airbus factory site in down there in Hamburg-Finkenwerder in person so far, but I guess I'll be there watching when the first A380 arrives :P