STOP PERSECUTING RANDOM PEOPLE! Seriously, this must stop!!!

Yekaterina

SMURF SPECULATORS, STOP PERSECUTING RANDOM PEOPLE!

As soon as I joined a TG, this happened:

image.png.968b25d76a12c75a8bde8c66cf06ff91.png

image.png.f1573b66d1feb6b81b87b1e35eb69a70.png

image.png.bd444496ae7436cab7363b5beb028c19.png

image.png.266fe05c07253bf574cb758e1256d736.png

image.png.50d568378736585fdbe66fc68e88e666.png

GOOD PLAYER != SMURF 

JUST BECAUSE YOU DON'T KNOW THEM, DOESN'T MEAN THEY CAN'T BE BETTER THAN YOU! WHAT GAVE YOU THE CONFIDENCE TO THINK THAT YOU KNOW EVERY SINGLE 0AD PLAYER IN THE WORLD???  

IT'S COMMON SENSE THAT RATINGS ARE INACCURATE, SO PLEASE, RESPECT UNDERRATED PLAYERS! NOBODY IS OBLIGATED TO PLAY RATED 1V1s.

THERE ARE 3,900,000,000 (to 2sf) WOMEN IN THE WORLD, BUT THERE IS ONLY 1 KATE. SO NOT EVERY FEMALE PLAYER YOU MEET IS ME. PLEASE RESPECT THEIR EXISTENCE AND INDIVIDUALITY!

I AM NO LONGER ABLE TO MAKE MORE ACCOUNTS BECAUSE MY HARDWARE ADDRESS AND ALL IPs I HAVE BEEN TO HAVE BEEN BLACKLISTED.

Funny enough, I am not using Arch anymore... 

@Stan` @user1

BreakfastBurrito, please explain yourself, why, in your mind, is this IuseArchBtw(1345) me?

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

Yeah, I can only agree.
Pretty new to the game, some days ago mr.michael (or a similar nick) accused me of being a smurf in the lobby of a TG. After that, he accused me of being a noob and said that was not going to play with me. I felt like Schrodinger's cat: a smurf and a noob at the same time. Some people are completely out of their mind, and for a new player this is not a friendly environment where to learn to play and have fun.
Unfortunately a real-time moderation of the lobbies seems to be necessary.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Pemulis said:

I felt like Schrodinger's cat: a smurf and a noob at the same time.

That's how new players are treated these days, you just have to get used to it. These smurf speculators are often players between 1400-1950 who think they are OP and cannot tolerate new players who improve very quickly and surpass them. But new players often do improve very fast these days thanks to Valihrant, 0AD Newbie Rush and my build order guides. 

3 minutes ago, Pemulis said:

Unfortunately a real-time moderation of the lobbies seems to be necessary.

NO! because there will be dozens of false reports of smurfing per day and the clueless moderator will just ban innocent new players.

@Player of 0AD why are you confused again? If you have a question, just ask here!

5 minutes ago, Yekaterina said:

...and my build order guides. 

Where can be found them?

6 minutes ago, Yekaterina said:

NO! because there will be dozens of false reports of smurfing per day and the clueless moderator will just ban innocent new players.

Imho would be a mistake to ban for smurfing. Why should it be forbidden? Ratings wouldn't be perfectly matched with reality anyway, and btw people are free to do new accounts if they want to. 
Similar reports should be simply ignored, but cannot be said the same about constant offenses in the lobbies. This is the real problem of this community.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

If 0ad had a larger player base, I would say it would be interesting to try to setup a ranked matchmaking queue. This will probably result in more accurate ratings and encourage more people to play 1v1s. While it certainly wouldn't handle the smurf problem (not that its really a big problem), I think more accurate ratings would be healthier for balancing TGs. Thoughts?

Just now, real_tabasco_sauce said:

I would say it would be interesting to try to setup a ranked matchmaking queue.

This would probably need a refined and balanced map selection.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Yekaterina said:

What are blackjack and hookers? If you can show me instructions then I will make another lobby. I just don't know how to do it on windows

It's a well known reference.

If you are thinking of hosting it on your own PC, I would suggest to not do it.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, thephilosopher said:

Yeah, it's pretty weird that some people are super vigilant about smurfs

Some people just can't lose and they rely on knowing the dude behind the keyboard to predict their strategy and give themselves an advantage in balancing.

If I just tell you I am a 1700 player, you have no idea how I will play, whether I will rush or boom or do some weird strategy. But if I tell you I am Reza, you know for 90% chance you will be rushed, or if I tell you I am metafondations then you know 95% chance you will be left alone to boom but be destroyed by a P3 push. Anonymity means you  have to do scouting and more uncertainty, and some players don't like that.

Furthermore, some people can't stand other players improving faster than them. So they come up with smurf accusations

Edited by Yekaterina
  • Like 1

@Dakara I am talking about a serious problem and you tell me to stop whining?! This is not about myself anymore, too many other people i e. New players are getting harassed, and I think that is an unhealthy climate in the lobby which used to be a friendly place in A23.

You might want to know there is a Zakara impostering you although we all know who he is. We have confirmed that he is a smurf because he admitted it and told us all of his previous accounts. Most people claimed that Zakara is your smurf and even wanted to report you to user1. If that did happen then you would have been banned without knowing why. So dakara you were lucky. I politely asked him for his true rating after 2 imba TGs, and he gave up his other accounts because he never had a rating. So in future TGs we consider him to be 1500 instead of 1700. That's the way to approach suspected smurfs, not straight up harassing then non-stop. If the crowd did go with their instinct, I don't know what would have happened to you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Yekaterina said:

Some people just can't lose and they rely on knowing the dude behind the keyboard to predict their strategy and give themselves an advantage in balancing.

This is probably true. It still doesn't make sense to me why people try to manipulate their rating in this way. The higher their rating goes, the more they're going to get upset about losing when a better player comes along.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thephilosopher said:

This is probably true. It still doesn't make sense to me why people try to manipulate their rating in this way. The higher their rating goes, the more they're going to get upset about losing when a better player comes along.

Many players are overrated and they don't want to admit it. Also some of them like to copy other people's strategy. In my opinion, copying good players is a great way to learn, I myself copied ideas from a range of players like berhudar, hamdich, Marc, weirdJokes, Valihrant, Christoffel-Symbol, Havran reza-math...  But it's not ok to refuse to give the original author any credit and ban whoever claims authorship to the strategy you copied :/

Examples: Aslan's archer cav, Hamdich's Roman swords, Hamdich's Ptol mass slinger all-in push

This leads to another problem: accusing smurfs based on strategy. There was a player Yafes who did archer cav and everyone claimed he is Aslan, although I know for a fact that Yafes is not Aslan or gertje. Aslan himself was also accused of being gertje but I  have no idea about that...