Feedbacks from A26 SVN tests

@wowgetoffyourcellphone @chrstgtr while we are at it do you have ideas for a seleucid civilization bonus (not team bonus).

A rather boring one I came up with for seles was instant farmstead tech research time.

Another general idea for a civ bonus is increased women line of sight.

Another civ bonus: free palisades and outposts, but slower to build.

12 hours ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Mechanical Innovation

• Player and allies' Siege Weapons and Arsenals -25% build time and cost.
  • Easy to implement.

This historically accurate and truly represents the strength of the faction. Great idea :).

Edited by Outis
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, real_tabasco_sauce said:

A rather boring one I came up with for seles was instant farmstead tech research time.

What might be a nice idea is to allow Seleucids to build a single colony in p1 in their own territory. Mercenaries would still be limited to p2.

That would be something that makes the Seleucids different from any other faction.

• Like 1

@LetswaveaBook the main thing to consider is how useful that is in p1. It can be a source to train women, consoldiate forward wood control, defensive qualities, or extend to berries. It also only costs 160 of each non-food resource, so with decent timing it might help you boom too.  Does the colony have a smaller territory footprint in p1 like the standard cc? 

It sounds nice and is probably my favorite so far, but maybe we should let a few more ideas for civ bonus in before we start narrowing them down.

Edited by BreakfastBurrito_007

17 hours ago, real_tabasco_sauce said:

@wowgetoffyourcellphone @chrstgtr while we are at it do you have ideas for a seleucid civilization bonus (not team bonus).

I kind of considered their Military Colonies to already be a bonus (one that they share, as Successor Kingdoms, with the Ptolemies; a bonus that ties them together conceptually). 

Perhaps the Seleucids have the ability to upgrade their Military Colonies to full-fledged Civic Centers? :) So, you can keep the merc training aspect of the Military Colony and accept the lower territory effect and less health of the structure, or you can choose to upgrade it to the Civic Center and get the extra health and territory, but lose the merc training aspect.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, BreakfastBurrito_007 said:

@LetswaveaBook the main thing to consider is how useful that is in p1. It can be a source to train women, consoldiate forward wood control, defensive qualities, or extend to berries. It also only costs 160 of each non-food resource, so with decent timing it might help you boom too.  Does the colony have a smaller territory footprint in p1 like the standard cc? 

It sounds nice and is probably my favorite so far, but maybe we should let a few more ideas for civ bonus in before we start narrowing them down.

Not only it provides all the advantages that you mentioned, but it also provides 20 population space and building it in p1 means that you can start mercenary production directly after reaching p2.

I think it would be a bonus that provides a strong start, though not as strong as the Ptolemaic start. When other factions build a barracks, the Seleucids would be able to build the colony instead. It would be a differentiation that changes the start for the Seleucids considerably.

I would think it is a good thing if factions feel unique from the very first minutes of the game.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, LetswaveaBook said:

Not only it provides all the advantages that you mentioned, but it also provides 20 population space and building it in p1 means that you can start mercenary production directly after reaching p2.

I think it would be a bonus that provides a strong start, though not as strong as the Ptolemaic start. When other factions build a barracks, the Seleucids would be able to build the colony instead. It would be a differentiation that changes the start for the Seleucids considerably.

I would think it is a good thing if factions feel unique from the very first minutes of the game.

yes, I think how you use this building could be interesting: for more res, for more women training, perhaps a head start into merc production, or some combination of the above. Although, building it means metal must be required for economic upgrades.

I like the idea a lot except for one catch: There is inconsistency when you only allow it to be built in your territory (p1) and anywhere in p2. This seems like an inconsistency that should be justified, adjusted or otherwise resolved.

Edited by real_tabasco_sauce

12 minutes ago, real_tabasco_sauce said:

I like the idea a lot except for one catch: There is inconsistency when you only allow it to be built in your territory (p1) and anywhere in p2. This seems like an inconsistency that should be justified, adjusted or otherwise resolved.

I would allow it only in owned territory in p1 because I wouldn't want people to place it right next to the opposing base and be super annoying with that.

@Stan` Maybe it is better to split this. I hope that would invite other people to discuss any proposals for Seleucids.

• Like 1

I like the p1 colony bonus (in one's own territory!), as someone who often plays Seleucids. The slight nerfing of Pikemen for A26 definitely takes away some of the better strategies for playing Seleucids and makes merc units and colonies more important. Leaning in to that with an earlier colony would help mitigate the challenges.

Edited by thephilosopher
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, LetswaveaBook said:

I would allow it only in owned territory in p1 because I wouldn't want people to place it right next to the opposing base and be super annoying with that.

yes, I understand why. That would likely be very OP.

I just think inconsistencies like that should be avoided if possible. However, maybe there should also be an explanation tooltip or maybe a loading screen explanation.

ie: "early colony" must be close to Seleucid territory. Perhaps to better control the fragmented territories, since apparently the different successors fought a lot early on. (quick wiki search)

Edited by real_tabasco_sauce

2 hours ago, Stan` said:

Looks like the biggest balancing changes are committed. So after the last RB I think we'll go for RC2 and one last commit.

What about https://code.wildfiregames.com/D4713 ?

These are pretty major changes to the Han units.

also:

https://code.wildfiregames.com/D4704 and https://code.wildfiregames.com/D4722

These latter two are minor balance changes I guess.

• Like 1

On 22/06/2022 at 11:52 PM, Freagarach said:

Can you reproduce without the mods?

@FreagarachI just noticed this question now. We haven't tried  yet. If we do, we'll let you know.

Right now we're both using the git version with the formation patch applied. We've played a few games now with no errors (with the mods enabled).

11 hours ago, andy5995 said:

@FreagarachI just noticed this question now. We haven't tried  yet. If we do, we'll let you know.

Right now we're both using the git version with the formation patch applied. We've played a few games now with no errors (with the mods enabled).

It should all(TM) be fixed now. :) (At least in SVN.)

• Thanks 1