Feedbacks from A26 SVN tests

Don't particularly like the new default cursor. The old one could have been a weapon-head too, but one could sell it as a pointer too, making it a very universally used icon. The new one is a weapon however you look at it. I don't want a weapon on my screen when selecting a tree!!

Besides that: the new cursor is way oversized. Making it feel very clunky too work with. The same comment applies to the new attack cursor (the image is fine there, just make it smaller).

I would propose to restore the old default cursor and use the new default for attack-walk instead (that red line is not making things prettier).

• Like 3

1 minute ago, bb_ said:

Don't particularly like the new default cursor. The old one could have been a weapon-head too, but one could sell it as a pointer too, making it a very universally used icon. The new one is a weapon however you look at it. I don't want a weapon on my screen when selecting a tree!!

Besides that: the new cursor is way oversized. Making it feel very clunky too work with. The comment applies to the new attack cursor (the image is fine there, just make it smaller).

I would propose to restore the old default cursor and use the new default for attack-walk instead (that red line is not making things prettier).

I agree.

1 hour ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

these icons are better?

I have nothing against the Han icons, because they are a new civ anyways. But the set you showed me this time is a lot better. 

What I was referring to is the icons for other units in other civs. E.g Athenians, Gauls

Edited by Yekaterina
  • Like 1

The big thing people seem to be curious about is unit acceleration and the ability for cavalry to escape bad situations.

I watched on the SVN version in slow motion and compared speed of an infantry javelineer against the speed of cavalry javelineer. I would assume that the most important factor in this situation is the time cavalry needs to accelarate to a speed such that it is faster than infantry. Only during the first step the infantry javelineer seems a tiny little bit faster. So that seems not very impactful.

What does seem impactful is the following: I ran away with a cavalry archer from a chasing spear cavalry. Everytime the spear cavalry attacks, it needs to stop. In A25 that because of this stopping, after the attack finishes and the spear cavalry starts moving, the cavalry archer is about one length of a horse ahead of the spear cavalry. In A25 the spear cavalry needs to accelerate after each stop/attack, the length of the gap will get more than twice as long.

Basically chasing and killing cavalry with other cavalry becomes nearly impossible even if your cavalry is faster.

If we consider it a problem, a solution would be to reduce the stopping time such that it is close to 0.

Edited by LetswaveaBook
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

21 minutes ago, LetswaveaBook said:

What does seem impactful is the following: I ran away with a cavalry archer from a chasing spear cavalry. Everytime the spear cavalry attacks, it needs to stop. In A25 that because of this stopping, after the attack finishes and the spear cavalry starts moving, the cavalry archer is about one length of a horse ahead of the spear cavalry. In A25 the spear cavalry needs to accelerate after each stop/attack, the length of the gap will get more than twice as long.

Basically chasing and killing cavalry with other cavalry becomes nearly impossible even if your cavalry is faster.

If we consider it a problem, a solution would be to reduce the stopping time such that it is close to 0.

What about we give spear cav near infinite accelereation and a smaller value for ranged units? That way we can nerf camel rush. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Yekaterina said:

What about we give spear cav near infinite accelereation and a smaller value for ranged units? That way we can nerf camel rush. 

That would have side effects and kills the entire accerelation idea. I personally am not convinced we need accerelation to begin with, but we should respect the hard work that has been done to enable the feature.

I think we should address the problem at its core: reducing the time in which the unit does not move. Though I can't claim this is a programmable solution.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I would like to try the new revision, but unfortunately I cant build the game. Before a25 I was able to build and play the revisions. I don't know what changed? I get an error during the make process. It says:

../../../source/ps/GameSetup/HWDetect.cpp:47:10: fatal error: ft2build.h: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
   47 | #include <ft2build.h>
      |          ^~~~~~~~~~~~
compilation terminated.

Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden - means: file or folder not found

Is there anyone else with this issue or can anyone help fixing it?

On 21/02/2022 at 6:26 AM, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

我对一些事情感到困惑。 汉人肯定有一座可以建造的庙宇,叫做“四庙”。

qp3lbbM.pngryYeN0K.png

No, at this time Buddhism had not been introduced, Taoism had not yet appeared, so there would not be the kind of temple you want. It would be better to just add a medic.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Nobbi said:

../../../source/ps/GameSetup/HWDetect.cpp:47:10: fatal error: ft2build.h: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
   47 | #include <ft2build.h>
      |          ^~~~~~~~~~~~
compilation terminated.

You need to install freetype first, was added as a dep to support font rendering in the future.

3 hours ago, hyperion said:

You need to install freetype first, was added as a dep to support font rendering in the future.

There are some packages containing freetype (https://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywords=freetype). Is there a specific one I need? I tried freetype2-doc, but it didn't work. But maybe this is because it just contains freetype 2 ... :)

While playing the game, I've twice had it crash with the following message:

Assertion failed: "data" 
Location: DeviceCommandContext.cpp:301 (UploadBufferRegion) Call stack: 

(0x558fdb1dde25) binaries/system/pyrogenesis(+0x603e25) [0x558fdb1dde25] 
(0x558fdb18ab9f) binaries/system/pyrogenesis(+0x5b0b9f) [0x558fdb18ab9f] 
(0x558fdb18c6b4) binaries/system/pyrogenesis(+0x5b26b4) [0x558fdb18c6b4] 
(0x558fdb18cb58) binaries/system/pyrogenesis(+0x5b2b58) [0x558fdb18cb58] 
(0x558fdb01ba56) binaries/system/pyrogenesis(+0x441a56) [0x558fdb01ba56] 
(0x558fdb077910) binaries/system/pyrogenesis(+0x49d910) [0x558fdb077910] 
(0x558fdb077ac8) binaries/system/pyrogenesis(+0x49dac8) [0x558fdb077ac8] 
(0x558fdaffbf58) binaries/system/pyrogenesis(+0x421f58) [0x558fdaffbf58] 
(0x558fdb0a2530) binaries/system/pyrogenesis(+0x4c8530) [0x558fdb0a2530] 
(0x558fdadb95da) binaries/system/pyrogenesis(+0x1df5da) [0x558fdadb95da] 
(0x558fdad0ee1f) binaries/system/pyrogenesis(+0x134e1f) [0x558fdad0ee1f] 
(0x558fdace6881) binaries/system/pyrogenesis(+0x10c881) [0x558fdace6881] 
(0x558fdafe5e16) binaries/system/pyrogenesis(+0x40be16) [0x558fdafe5e16] 
(0x558fdafd5d29) binaries/system/pyrogenesis(+0x3fbd29) [0x558fdafd5d29] 
(0x558fdafd809e) binaries/system/pyrogenesis(+0x3fe09e) [0x558fdafd809e] 
(0x558fdac8a81f) binaries/system/pyrogenesis(+0xb081f) [0x558fdac8a81f] 

errno = 11 (Try again later) 
OS error = ?

I don't know how to reproduce it. I'm using Ubuntu 21.10, 0AD revision 26458.

19 hours ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

I'd just keep acceleration for siege and ships, instant or nearly instance acceleration for regular soldiers. It's the super quick turn rates that look weird to me.

I think the acceleration also looks wierd. It looks like there is an invisible man the cavalry pushing (or pulling) them forward until they reach maximum speed. I think there would be a very improved visual experience if the animations between the acceleration and full speed phases where different.

Maybe scaling the length of the run animation with the units current speed would make it look very decent.

Edited by LetswaveaBook
  • Like 1